4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to take a part Right side mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 AM

How to take a part Right side mirror?

just what the titles says does anyone know how to take a part the right side mirror... it broke and i need to replace it. another thing would anyone know why my 97 auto max wont shift out of second gear? some ppl told me to flush the tranny fluid? could they be right? thank you for your time

Peter
Old 10-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

Not sure about the tranny issue ... but to take off the mirror you have to take off the door insert, which will then expose the screw holding the triangular thing in place, after removing the triangular piece, this will expose 3 screws, i suggest using some kind of lubricant on them, because they become oxidized fast. After removing these three screws you should be able to pull the mirror out. Installation is the same, put three screws back on, put triangle back on, put door insert back on .... good luck
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 PM

wow that's pretty simple thank you very much for the info....would you happen to know where i can buy an aftermarket mirror with the same specs as the oem one i guess.... besides going to the dealership... once again thanx a bunch

Peter

ps. one more thing is Service Engine Soon the same thing as Check Engine Light?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by mAxPwEr4Us
wow that's pretty simple thank you very much for the info....would you happen to know where i can buy an aftermarket mirror with the same specs as the oem one i guess.... besides going to the dealership... once again thanx a bunch

Peter

ps. one more thing is Service Engine Soon the same thing as Check Engine Light?

Yes it is .... and to get your mirror just go on ebay and search for a mirror for your car ... make sure in the description it says OEM fitment ... or you can check the for sale section here and see if someone is selling one ... but if you want a brand new one, go on ebay, that's where i got mine ... don't ever go to the stealership, they will rip you a new ******* .... good luck
Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM

I recently had to change a mirror and as others have said remove door panel , three bolts hold mirror on unplug remote cable install and reassemble. Easy job. My comment is that the aftermarket mirrors while being a direct replacement and do look the same as OEM, come only in black and will have to be painted to match your other mirror.(or you could change both to aftermarket black ) I chose to buy my mirror from a salvage yard . I found it on Car-part.com and paid $60 including shipping for one that was already the right color.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM

well my car is black anyways....... so that wont be so bad..... does the whole thing need to be replaced? i can't just take the mirror part?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mAxPwEr4Us
well my car is black anyways....... so that wont be so bad..... does the whole thing need to be replaced? i can't just take the mirror part?

I think it's best to replace the whole thing, cause it's mechanically controlled and u don't want to mess with that ... just my .02 cents ...
Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Sold

The mirror has a 2 pronged connector that will is burried in the door shell. You simply cannot remove the glass and housing and expect this connector to fit through the hole.

check the paradox-systems.com website for some directions on how to remove the mirror. check here for directions
As others have stated, be extra careful with the 3 bolts that secure the mirror to the car, as when I was removing mine, I ended up breaking them and that mirror was useless. Grease the threads BEFORE you re-install your new mirror just in case.
Goodluck.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 PM

If all that is messed up is the glass on the mirror, the FSM shows how to remove the plastic piece that the glass is attatched to by sliding a cloth gaurded flat blade screwdriver under the corner of the glass/glass underlayment piece on the lower corner of the mirror closest to the body side and popping it out. The underlayment piece has clips and snaps in place. A local glass place should be able to cut a new piece of mirror to fit and glue it to the underlayment for not much. I doubt if it would be exactly right because it would be a "flat" mirror and "objects in the mirror would be as close as they seem" which might result in a blind spot