4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I'm new to the board! Just bough a '95 SE 5spd and I need to be in the high 13's!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 10:39 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a new member here...

First off I must say I LOVE the car. I can't believe the deal I got on it either, 6k dollars even, its got every option but leather, nearly perfect condition except for the paint, and 89k miles.

Anyway, I've got around 6k dollars to spend, I want to get into the high 13's (or lower if possible), but I cant sacrafise much reliability so no nitrous oxide, it has to be just as "daily driveable" as it was, and it can ride a whole lot rougher (I love the way it handles/drives now and if I do anything to help cornering I dont want it to make it ride rough)

Can someone please help me out?
I figure if I want high 13's I will definitly have to run a stillen supercharger, what kind of boost do they usually run those at? What kind of hp/tq gain can I expect? What kind of 1/4 times? Do they affect reliability? Can the stock tranny/driveline hold up to it fine or what? What about the motor?
Would I be best to upgrade my exhaust front to back as well with all the air coming in? Are there headers made the the maxima? I havent been able to find any. I would like to get a y-pipe/b-pipe/cat back, system, do I have to get all 3 of those components for a "full exhaust" system on the max? What kind of power gains can I expect from that? Whatever I do to the exhaust I do NOT want it loud or sounding like a bumble bee. I'd like something quiet and refined with just a hint of a low growl, nothing obtrusive unless I get on it. I hate the way most aftermarket systems I see on accords and civics sound, do they sound better on maximas since they are 6 cylinders?

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Kyle
Old 06-27-2001, 10:45 PM

First off, welcome to the .org. You'll love the Maxima, especially the VQ.
A ton of questions, but alas, I will allow the SC boys to answer most of your questions. As for headers, it has been noted that the OEM design is the most efficient. I believe someone here (Don?) designed a new one and ended up with a 1 HP improvement over stock. Everyone else?
Old 06-27-2001, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

13's=all of the following things
stillen s/c with more than 10psi of boost
light aluminum flywheel
upgraded pistons
upgraded injectors
upgraded fuel delivery system
apexi safc
upgraded clutch
slicks
y-pipe
and a free flowing exhaust
Old 06-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

1st of all welcome!
and one condition b4 i help you out jus playin
i'll get to drive ur 13sec Max
well my help isnt that good cuz i dont own a SC max but i'll point you in a good direction to get alot of your questions rite
www.maximadriver.com check out the mods section its really helpful, and also there is an evaluation of all commonly used performance/handling mods
the author of this is maxima.orgs Chebosto or Cheston... he also owns one of the fastest max's around
g'luck... wow if i had 6gz i'd have a 13sec max 2!
oh yea u'v joined the best forum out there... we're always ready to help... well make that suma the time
Old 06-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Threxx
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here...

First off I must say I LOVE the car. I can't believe the deal I got on it either, 6k dollars even, its got every option but leather, nearly perfect condition except for the paint, and 89k miles.

Anyway, I've got around 6k dollars to spend, I want to get into the high 13's (or lower if possible), but I cant sacrafise much reliability so no nitrous oxide, it has to be just as "daily driveable" as it was, and it can ride a whole lot rougher (I love the way it handles/drives now and if I do anything to help cornering I dont want it to make it ride rough)

Can someone please help me out?
I figure if I want high 13's I will definitly have to run a stillen supercharger, what kind of boost do they usually run those at? What kind of hp/tq gain can I expect? What kind of 1/4 times? Do they affect reliability? Can the stock tranny/driveline hold up to it fine or what? What about the motor?
Would I be best to upgrade my exhaust front to back as well with all the air coming in? Are there headers made the the maxima? I havent been able to find any. I would like to get a y-pipe/b-pipe/cat back, system, do I have to get all 3 of those components for a "full exhaust" system on the max? What kind of power gains can I expect from that? Whatever I do to the exhaust I do NOT want it loud or sounding like a bumble bee. I'd like something quiet and refined with just a hint of a low growl, nothing obtrusive unless I get on it. I hate the way most aftermarket systems I see on accords and civics sound, do they sound better on maximas since they are 6 cylinders?

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Kyle
Welcome aboard, great deal you got on the car. I don't know the SC questions, but I can help you out with some of these. Let's see... For a full exhaust you need y-pipe, cat, b-pipe, and muffler or just y-pipe, cat, and cat-back. The catbaack exhaust includes the b-pipe and the muffler. For that sound you like there's a couple of ways of doing it. I've heard a y-pipe and Apex-i world sport catback on a Max and it was not quiet, but it sounded very good, not at all like the cannon-tip rice machines. Some guys have had good results with low noise using a y-pipe, custom b-pipe, and stock muffler. Most exhausts are going to sound deeper than a Civic or such. If you're getting a SC then there's no point in doing the intake, but if not, you want to upgrade to a high-flow intake to take advantage of the increase in exhaust flow.
Old 06-28-2001, 12:16 AM

I think an often overlooked thing with lots of power is how to get it to the ground.

Budget around $1500 for the Quaife limited slip diff from www.cattman.com. To get good drag launches, you'll also want to minimize weight transfer to the rear and get good traction. Drag slicks combined with the limited slip diff will give you good traction to make use of ALL that power. A coil-over system will let you adjust weighting of the car on launch. For the Max, probabliy lowereing the car as far as it will go so that there isn't much suspension travel will prevent the weight from transfering to the rear and unloading the front drive wheels on launch (unless you want to go dedicated spring rates optimized for drag). Front and rear engine mounts will be needed to keep the engine in place and minimize wheel hop. You'll need a strong clutch, probably something like an ACT street or 6 puck race setup to hold the power of a high boost SC.

I think Warpspeed or someone was also working on longitudinal chassis braces for the Max, which you might need to keep the chassis stiff for the high hp straight line runs.

In addition to an intercoolor for the SC, you may want to run an aquamist water injection system to further lower your intake charge temperature allowing you to run more boost when you're doing your 13s runs. Some of the Miata guys run an intercoolor and water injection to get those big boost numbers in the 15-18psi range. The rest of the people here can comment on how to get max power and max boost.

-V
Old 06-28-2001, 01:00 AM

Dude 13's are you kidding

Just Stillen Kit at 6PSI, Ypipe, Cat, Exhaust, Clutch you're into 13's (that's if you're 5spd)

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
light aluminum flywheel
upgraded pistons
upgraded injectors
apexi safc
upgraded clutch
slicks
y-pipe
Old 06-28-2001, 01:10 AM

If you're worried about realibility then go with a PROPERLY set up NOS system over a S/C. The S/C puts CONSTANT strain on your engine, the NOS does not. NOS is not what most people think it is. IT DOES NOT BURN, just allows the engine to burn more gasoline in the same amout of time, which equates to more power. If you only use it at the track, you'll never have any problems. I have just intake, y-pipe and cat-back right now...and I'm at 14.8. With my 50 shot NOS going in next week I'll easily hit the 13s.

You don't need all that crazy crap that people are telling you on here.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:04 AM

I'd say that's quite a bit of info from these replies.
5sp with
s/c
bov
qlsd (try a canadian max or i30 tranny)
beefed up clutch
cat, y pipe, catback exhaust
should put you into that range of mid to high 13's

the aqua-mist has a bit of mixed reviews. I personally think it helps since it controlls the burn thus allowing timing advancement and possibly a leaner mixture. It takes a little set up tho.

also i'd recommend
springs/strut combo
all bars
and brakes

and i'd really recommend...*with the mileage of the car*

Do a pressure leakdown test. You should always make sure your engine is in a condition to handle the added pressure to the cylinder before you do. A repair is easier to do before you add on a ton of mods. (cause you got to take them off if you break something)..check the support systems...o2 sensors, TB, plugs, etc...

remember 1/4 isnt all the max can do. Any schmuck can do a quarter. Try doing a good road course and see the challenges inherent in that.

oh yes, welcome...
and enjoy the ride
Old 06-28-2001, 03:56 AM
Lyt97SC

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
light aluminum flywheel
upgraded pistons
upgraded injectors
apexi safc
upgraded clutch
slicks
y-pipe
heh, with those mods u better be deep into the 12s at the least.