4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can bushings affect steering shake/wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 AM

Can bushings affect steering shake/wobble???

I have been reading a few posts on the forum that claim that worn suspension bushings can create steering shake/wooble. Is this true? If so, how does this happen?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:48 AM

Can't tell you why, but worn LCA bushing cause my steering to shake.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Will worn out sway bar bushings cause this?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 AM
shift_Puff

I have a wobble aswell and i need to change my bushings aswell...iknow that the tire can move back and forth when the bushings are done...hence to clacking when u drive, but i have no idea why it would wobble, could it be tire balancing also??? Right now i need new bushings for LCA's and sway bar(i think, got new ones anyway) tires and an alignment...So once all that is done(by monday or tuesday), i'll let you guys know if the wobble is gone
Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 AM

The reason is: The LCA Bushings are what 'insulates' between the LCA and the car to abosorb shock in bumps during turning and make the system more flexible for tuns and bumps. The LCA is what connects the LOWER part of the spindle to the car. The strut connects the upper part. When the LCA bushings go bad, it creates 'play' in the connection of the spindle to your car, directly causing shaking/ vibration and a small 'clank' noise in BUMPS. (the higher the speed=more vibration.)
In case you still are unclear...the spindle is what connects your wheel to your car.
Turning causes just as many problems. Just try to visualize it for a moment.
strut connects to upper part of spindle, Lower control arm connects to lower part of spindle. Spindle connects wheel to car. In between is the CV shaft which turns your wheel. The wheel bearing is connected to the spindle and your brakes mount to that. Finally comes the wheel itself.
Side Note: The sway bar and and Rack and Pinion connect to the back/ inner part of the spindle. With the sway bar, you will hear a 'clunk' in TURNS if bushings are bad, and it will handle like SH**. The Rack and Pinion is what Turns your wheels L/R.

Finally: In essence when your LCA bushings are bad, The wheel IS in a sense 'loose', almost like the lugnuts are coming undone.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Excellent explanation! I appreciate your well though out feedback!

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:54 AM

wow, thank you, now i actually know why
Old 10-13-2006, 06:24 PM

You're welcome. No problem.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
iAMIXAM!

ok, so iahve a lil vibration at 30, only when i'm cruising, after that its gone... when i hole my brake i feel like something is shaking down there... its like the is s lump at one point on the rotor that makes it give me a thumd, thumb, thumb feeling when i brake heavily... could it be the same thing.. i get a clanking to but its from the strut.... iam almost certain its the strut
Old 10-15-2006, 03:37 PM

so iahve a lil vibration at 30, only when i'm cruising, after that its gone
accelerating at 30mph? coasting? braking?just staying right at 30mph?
As for the braking, thats a warped rotor. rom hard braking at some point (like light to light racing/ in city racing), your rotors will warp from the heat.
When you hit the brake, you really feel the vibration in your steering wheel probably. That is the rotor. Mainly, it happens by keeping your foot ON the brake after heavy/hard braking. Say at a redlight following racing or driving fast through traffic, then suddenly stopping, but not releasing your foot off the brake pedal while sitting at the light : To allow the heat escape from between your brake pads and the rotor.
To fix: Change the rotors/ or have them resurfaced at a shop and change the brake pads.
The LCA busings can decieve, they sound very similar to a strut. Just be sure before you try to fix it. They both share the same symptoms. Only a pry bar and some force while the car is in the air can decide for sure if bushings or strut.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the passenger side of these cars are common for bad LCA bushings from the Front crank seal AND oil filter placement. Be sure to clean thouroughly after an oil change and make sure the front crank seal is not leaking. OIL is a BIG helper in the destruction of rubber bushings.