4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did I install KYB AGX struts and shocks, or Pogo sticks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM

Did I install KYB AGX struts and shocks, or Pogo sticks?

Just got AGX's installed, and even when they are set to "1" front and "2" rear, the car rebounds very quickly and in ways that my stock setup never did.

I did not realize that the damping rate would produce such a short rebound and compression cycle. Now, my stock setup had 130K on it, so I cannot say what this car was like when it was new.

And, ....I don't have a time machine handy, either. Maybe if someone who bought a new 4th Gen I30 could name a 2006 model car (any brand) that feels a lot like his or her I30 felt when new.

Does anyone have the same sensation with their AGX's?

I am still running the original 15" rims, so I know that a larger set of wheels would smooth out the rebound effect.

I plan on upgrading my wheels to 17" around Xmas time. What should I expect to feel on the road after the upgrade?

As a sidebar, my girlfriend upgraded the rims and tires on her 1995 Integra, going from OEM steel wheels with 14" Dayton's to 15" Kumho ECSTA 711's on Sport Edition E1's. The difference in the ride is incredible! The car feels like a much bigger car and is solid as a rock on the road. Try as I might, I cannot get the tires to break free...even in the rain.

So, in addition to your comments about my AGX's and the planned wheel/tire upgrade, what do you think of my lady's rims?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you cut the bump stops? I'm running agx's with maxspeed springs, cut bumpstops and the ride is firm but not the kind of rebound you are describing.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Wild for Width

I think you need to be more around 3F / 5R.

What are the rates of the springs?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM

I have the agx's installed on my '96 with the factory springs. Fronts set at "1" and I had the rears at "3". It does give it s stiff sporty ride. I recently dropped the rear's down to "1" for a softer ride in the back.

Oh, I installed the AGX's and the swaybar at the request of my wife (it is her car) as she complained about it being too tipsy (rolling) in the corners (we live in the blue ridge mountain area. Her '87 (SE) was wmuch more stiff (with the factory 3 way shocks set to stiff) than the '96 (SE) was with it's factory set up (non adjustable from the factory). With the AGX's and the sway bar it is about how I remember her '87 (with the shocks set to stiff). Maybe a touch stiffer.

I would double check your settings and make sure you are really at 1 if you want it softer. Just a little past one and you'll get the stiff setting. Compare 1 to 2 for sanity sake to make sure you are on the 1 setting.

Oh....I have the AGX's on my Rx-7....You want to feel stiff. Try that car....but then again from the factory the Rx-7 was really stiff.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I think you need to be more around 3F / 5R.

What are the rates of the springs?
Whatever stock I30 (Maxmia GLE) spring rates are.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by agwazz
Did you cut the bump stops? I'm running agx's with maxspeed springs, cut bumpstops and the ride is firm but not the kind of rebound you are describing.
Didn't cut the stops because I'm running with original stock springs.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:42 PM

I had them initgially set to 2 & 4, and after feeling like my fillings were going to get knocked out, I dropped them in half to 1 and 2.

I've been told tha they'll soften over time. I believe it as the set of GR-2s I put on my 3rd Gen Max started losing their stiffness after about 4 months.

I also backed off on thre tire inflation numbers: I had 34psi all around and have since dropped them to 31 all around. (Manual calls for 29 front and rear, in case you're interested)
Old 10-16-2006, 11:49 PM

ive got agx's with ground controls set to 2 front and 5 rear and its bumpy as hell....but yet again its dropped alot but damn is there anyway to reduce the bumpyness just a tad because my car feels like its just riding over big rocks sometimes
Old 10-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Maxima Owner

AGXs are stiff to begin with..even of soft settings....but depending on set up u may actually have to go stiffer on the struts for better ride
Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
AGXs are stiff to begin with..even of soft settings....but depending on set up u may actually have to go stiffer on the struts for better ride
The problem with the AGX's is in the rebound and not the damping effect. A "stiffer" shock or strut does not mean it automatically has to have a faster rebound. It could have a greater damping effect while keeping the rebound time the same as stock, IMHO.

When the numbers are increased, what actually changes to the strut or shock inside?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:39 AM

I am also dropped on Maxspeed and AGX. When I first got it, I set it to F:2 R:5 with RSB. Had a very negative experience with the RSB (involving emergency lane manuvers) that I took it off and left the setting to F:2 R:4.

Experimented with F2R3, and liked the ride even better. Lately the car has been oversteering due to tires combination (summer tires front, UHP All season in the back) and decided to lower it further to F:1 and R:2. The front now dips when you "load" the car, usefull for when you want to transfer weight, but the rears could use a softer spring.

I was thinking to pair this up with my stock springs, but it seems that this setup won't give me what I wanted either.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 AM

so is there anyway to reduce the bumpyness just a tad or is it a wrap? Ive had them on for about 6 months now so im pretty used to it but when i ride in other cars i miss the smoothness
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rome06
so is there anyway to reduce the bumpyness just a tad or is it a wrap? Ive had them on for about 6 months now so im pretty used to it but when i ride in other cars i miss the smoothness
I have had AGX's on mine for about a year now. I have tried different settings, but I feel that 1F/1R is still the best. I have H&R springs and a rear sway bar along with a front strut bar. The car is so tight compared to before and handles soooo much better that it is not even a fair comparison. I also have 17" wheels and 225-45 Michelin Pilots. I got the best results by lowering the tire pressure to 32F/27R. This also helped wet weather traction as well as ride. I would say the AGX's are better after a year, but still too stiff to use anything but 1/1 if you want a reasonable ride. These settings are quite livable now and better when more people are in the car. When I tow a bass boat I only set the rears up to 2. More is a waste....and painful. Try playing with your tire pressure. A lot of guys run way more tire pressure than needed. It doesn't give better traction or ride and I can't see any significant difference in mileage...just an improvement in comfort and wet handling.

jjam
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

AGX's are the stiffest struts you can install in your car. Even set on 1, they ride hard.

If you wanted that nice smooth factory new like ride you should have installed a set of Tokico Blue performance struts on your factory springs.

Research is your friend, and this site is full of information that would have informed you that AGX's are very firm struts. (GR2's are no better)

You can probable take them out and sell them on here for little or no loss. Then get yourself the correct struts for your rides desire, Tokico Blues.

Lower profile tires mounted on bigger rims are only going to make things get harder.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM

i mean dont get me wrong i love the way the car handles and everything and its deffenitly liveable but i was just wondering there was anyway to make is less bumpy....then again mine are set to 3f and 5r so set it down to 1f 1r but wouldnt that affect handling too? I'll check tire pressure also i havent dont that in a while...thanks fellas
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Researched suspension to death!

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
AGX's are the stiffest struts you can install in your car. Even set on 1, they ride hard.

If you wanted that nice smooth factory new like ride you should have installed a set of Tokico Blue performance struts on your factory springs.

Research is your friend, and this site is full of information that would have informed you that AGX's are very firm struts. (GR2's are no better)

You can probable take them out and sell them on here for little or no loss. Then get yourself the correct struts for your rides desire, Tokico Blues.

Lower profile tires mounted on bigger rims are only going to make things get harder.
You know what? Asking someone first what it is they want, or why they bought AGX instead of Illuminas, Blues, or GR-2's can also b e called research.

I did the research, but even though I've read over and over again that "Illuminas give a smoother ride," and that AGX's are a "bit jarring," they are still opinions and anecdotes, and "ride quality" is still a subjective thing -- even if I could find someone with a similar ride setup as mine.

See, if you asked me, "Well why did you buy AGX's," my answers would be as follows:

1. I had the money to buy something more expensive than Blues or GR-2's.

2. I WANTED an adjustable strut/shock combo, and

3. I already had -- and sold -- a set of Illuminas.

But, it basically came down to (a) being adjustable and (b) price: I bought a pair of brand new AGX struts for $121.00 and a pair of brand new rear shocks for $84.00.

Hard to argue with those prices, don't you think?

But, like I said, I'm running stock springs, wheels, and tires, and putting on a set of AGX's was a crap shoot as far as what it would feel like.

I do plan on going up to 17" wheels and tires -- but not really low-profile ones -- so the situation will change.

Plus, I am more than pleased with the "1" and "2" setup I have now on the AGX's. They are much, much better than what I took off -- handling-wise -- but, the trade-off was in the way of comfort.

However, that comfort came at the price of nose-diving and excessive body roll, so in that respect, the trade-off is in the direction of safety.

The only reason why I brought this thread up is that, for someone like me who has both a lower back and upper neck injury, the difference in road feel was a bit of a "shock" -- no pun intended!

But, thanks for the advice you gave: it is right on target for those who are new to it.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Researched suspension to death!

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

OK, granted, but you know what? Asking someone first what it is they want, or why they bought AGX instead of Illuminas, Blues, or GR-2's can also be called "research."

I did that research also, asking owners what they liked and disliked about their AGX's.

I did the research, but even though I've read over and over again that "Illuminas give a smoother ride," and that AGX's are a "bit jarring," they are still opinions and anecdotes, and "ride quality" is still a subjective thing -- even if I could find someone with a similar ride setup as mine.

See, if you asked me, "Well why did you buy AGX's," my answers would be as follows:

1. I had the money to buy something more expensive than Blues or GR-2's.

2. I WANTED an adjustable strut/shock combo, and

3. I already had -- and sold -- a set of Illuminas.

But, it basically came down to (a) being adjustable and (b) price: I bought a pair of brand new AGX struts for $121.00 and a pair of brand new AGX shocks for $84.00.

Hard to argue with those prices, don't you think?

But, like I said, I'm running stock springs, wheels, and tires, and putting on a set of AGX's was a crap shoot as far as what it would feel like.

I do plan on going up to 17" wheels and tires -- but not really low-profile ones -- so the situation will change.

Plus, I am more than pleased with the "1" and "2" setup I have now on the AGX's. They are much, much better than what I took off -- handling-wise -- but, the trade-off was in the way of comfort.

However, that comfort came at the price of nose-diving and excessive body roll, so in that respect, the trade-off is in the direction of safety.

The only reason why I brought this thread up is that, for someone like me who has both a lower back and upper neck injury, the difference in road feel was a bit of a "shock" -- no pun intended!

But, thanks for the advice you gave: it is right on target for those who are new to it.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM

I like my ride on the AGXs set to 1F, 1R. Obviously stiffer and bumpier than the stocks, but very liveable, and also much better and improved handling - oh and I almost forgot to mention that I have S TECH springs too.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 AM

Just an update, I set mine to 1:1 (F:R) down from 1:2, or 2:3 months ago. I like this setting much better. The body moves a bit, but it's definitely more tossable around corners.