4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me Car starts and then dies I am stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 AM

Help me Car starts and then dies I am stuck

Well let me gives you guys a little history of how i got to this crisis. I have a 99 auto SEL. About two weeks ago i placed my oem air box back in the car. After starting the car up i noticed i forogt to plug in the MAF so right then and there i plug it in while the car was running. The engine bogged but than idle back to normal, as soon as that happened i ran into the car and notice the CEL on. So then i drive around for 20mins on the highway and the car runs fine, perfect idle and acceleration. So i'm like eghh maybe just a CEL error. so i place the ECU into self diagnos mode and the code pops up as 0102 = MAF. But then in my head i'm like the car runs fine no symtoms of a bad one. So then after dricing around for three days with a CEL on i reset the ECU and the CEL goes off, granted to car has ran perfect still. So then the weekend comes by and i take the car into to advanced to have them plug it into their ecu diagnostic and it pops up with no codes, so i'm liek alright just a fluke CEL. Now this morning i wake up to go to work start the car and it fires up and then automatically dies as and shuts off. I try it about 10 times this time having my foot on the gas and keeping the rpms at 4-5k for like 30seconds and then after letting it go it idles back to normal but doesn't die. So then i'm like let me put check for scu codes and still no codes so i'm like an hour late for and WTF. I shut off the car and then i attempt to restart it and same old problem it fires up and dies unless i hold the gas down and rev it at 4-5 k like a bat out of hell definitiley not good for my car. So decide to leave the car at home and bum a ride from a co worker. My last attempt at starting it the car won't evein fire up.Now i'm don't know that the hell to do bc i got no codes, could this still be the maf or something else, why am i not getting any codes, thank goodnes i ordered a MAF when the first CEL when off and should be here this week. But the the hell is going on with the car, ughh help me guys??
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM

anyone can't help me with this i'm so screwed I work with cancer patients and it totally sucked when i had to call a patient up to cancel since my car is dead. help me help other people
Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 PM

does it sound like my fuel injectors?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Custom User Title

Does it do this only when cold?
Does the engine run normal after started?

ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor) maybe your problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:15 PM

well the car idles fine after i hold the gas at 4k for like 10 seconds. And since i'm in FL it doesn't get real cold it was like 70 this morning. Anyone kow how much that sensor is your talking about? Plus after i did finally get it started i let it sit at park in idle for 10 mins and the idle was fine. I am just so confused bc i get no codes and after i fianlly get it started it idles fine.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

first go back and check you work that you did putting the box back> you put the maf back in so that code is fixes. Make sure your breather hose and the 2 other hoses are connected. just make sure everything is connected right.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Most likley it would be the MAF, the MAP sensor or carbon build up on the throttle or IAC motor.
Because thats the only thing you messed around with unless you disconnected the battery.

-If you have time.
-Make sure that there is no type of dust and dirt inside the tube itself
-Check Out the plug to the MAF
-Besure All Vaccume lines are not damaged
-Check the PCV Valve under the throttle body
-Check for Excessive Carbon Build up at the throttle Body / plate.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:57 PM

hoses > ECTS > crankshaft sensor > oil press. send unit cheap fixes

my mom's chrysler had a bad speed sensor that gave that effect believe it or not.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM

So does it just crank and not start at all?
Do this:
Go put the key into the ignition and turn it to ON mode, see if your security light is staying lit, do this and tell me ASAP.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Custom User Title

^^ If it has to do with the key and the NVIS? system, doesn't it not start at all?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
^^ If it has to do with the key and the NVIS? system, doesn't it not start at all?
no, i have a key thats not coded right and it starts and then stalls out if i try to use it.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 PM

the car will start if i start it while holding the gas down and reving it at 3k for around 3 seconds then i release the gas and it idles fine, however while at a light after drving for 30mins on the highway the car backfired, WTF this is so messed up and still no codes?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Mine would turn off cuz i messed with the intake manifold and didnt replace the gasket. had a huge vacuum leak.

My car would start perfectly, and then slowley die a min after.

I've fixed that by installing a new gasket but it still idle's unstable.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:59 PM

well does anyone think my problems are bc of a bad fuel injector?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
It starts, than it dies out in like a second, so this doesn't seem to be his problem.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
It starts, than it dies out in like a second, so this doesn't seem to be his problem.
i forogt to mention one important detail. My key for my 99 is busted so i cant place a king ring on it. I have been using eltric tape. But this past Sat i decided to use aluminum duct tape it holds better. after that the car still drove ok i probablly started the car with this aluminum covered key about 6 times from Sat- Mon. yesterday ( tues morning) was when all this crap started. Could it be that the aluminum foil tape is interfering with startign the car. Bc even though i hold it the gas down for 3 seconds while turning the ignition if i let the gas go too early the car completely dies as if it were a manual and i stalled it out. Bc when i didn't hodl the gas down long enough i tried to hit it again while it was engine was dying and the tach would not rev therefore which leads me to beleive it dies at the pt i release the gas pedal if it isn't held down long enough. I know this is confusing, but i'm at teh office now but if it is bc of this foil tape i will smack myself. Bc once the car is running the cars operates normally.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, my Max is doing the same thing. The only thing I've done to it to try to remedy it was change the fuel filter, no difference. Seems to stall more frequently after a sudden stop. I'm in a quandry myself over this one!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM

actaully i jsut fixed the prplem my du3ma$$ put that alum tape over the key and it messed up the link btw the chip and the engine therofer it stalled it. took off the auminum tape and she fires right up, ughh i'm an idiot. But i guarantee a shop would have never figured that out even the dealer maybe saved me mad money since no codes were popping the shop would have replaced a bunch of crap they thought might have caused this, lol whewwww , who knew thanks 99grnmaxgxe
Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by achebee4you
actaully i jsut fixed the prplem my du3ma$$ put that alum tape over the key and it messed up the link btw the chip and the engine therofer it stalled it. took off the auminum tape and she fires right up, ughh i'm an idiot. But i guarantee a shop would have never figured that out even the dealer maybe saved me mad money since no codes were popping the shop would have replaced a bunch of crap they thought might have caused this, lol whewwww , who knew thanks 99grnmaxgxe
No problem man, good thing you didn't spend any $. That key $hit made me sell my car!