4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suggestion for bose headunit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
mugenmtx3

Suggestion for bose headunit replacement

I need ur suggestion for a bose headunit replacement,i went to bestbuy and somebody told me that i need to replace all the speaker when i did the bose headunit.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM

check the audio section, you'll find a tsunami of information.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:38 PM

along with your HU, you will need this http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...29&ItemID=OEA4
That way you will NOT have to replace your speakers.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:04 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I just bought a alpine 9856 and didn't buy anything , but the reagular wiring harness. No need for that scosche thing. The guy said you DON"T need it and let me tell you the bose speakers never sounded better, its like a whole new world! I might even add a 10" sub now.

btw get alpine you won't be dissappointed.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Go to the Audiio forum. I think you should keep the Bose or get a double din touch screen. Everything else looks like crap IMO. Throws off the entire dash when you put a smaller unit and another big hole in the dash.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are ways around having a hole in the dash...
Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM

Yes I know that. But not many people have something to put in there. Didn't know my opinion would offend you.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:53 PM

Dont be ghetto... replace everything at once trust me.. get a pioneer deh-8600 and some good speakers....
Old 10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

here's a pic of mine

and a place for my ipod which connects right to the alpine and display's everything.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:01 PM

y dont you wire up ur radar detector to the fuse box?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Dont be ghetto... replace everything at once trust me.. get a pioneer deh-8600 and some good speakers....

I think the alpine with the bose speakers sounds pretty damn good. If anything all it really needs is a little bass, which now is a easy thing to do with the sub pre-out and control.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No worries, but i was referring to the pocket, or fiberglass dash modding, but to be fair a nice touch screen would be sweet.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by babymac
I think the alpine with the bose speakers sounds pretty damn good. If anything all it really needs is a little bass, which now is a easy thing to do with the sub pre-out and control.
ur headunit has a sub output.... use that
Old 10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by oddball86
No worries, but i was referring to the pocket, or fiberglass dash modding, but to be fair a nice touch screen would be sweet.
I agree if you have the money. I really would rather put my money other places then a $1000+ touch screen.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

y dont you wire up ur radar detector to the fuse box?
Its my sirius unit. How do I wire it in?????
Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
V^___^V

check out my setup at my cardomain. i have microvision screen with panasonic HU, and innovatek DVD under the glove box. my radar is hardwired through the fuse box. very clean setup.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Its my sirius unit. How do I wire it in?????
wire teh positive to teh fuse that says audio or bose i forget.. then the ground wire to ground...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 AM

Check out Crutchfield.com they have a really good lookup tool that will show what you can replace the stock audio with.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

wire teh positive to teh fuse that says audio or bose i forget.. then the ground wire to ground...
I'm gonna do that tonite. Thanks alot.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by tdbak
Check out Crutchfield.com they have a really good lookup tool that will show what you can replace the stock audio with.
crutchfield also says u need it, but you don't. Trust me I am running it right now without that adapter thingy. Its just a waste of 30-40 bucks.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:45 PM

crutchfield also says u need it, but you don't. Trust me I am running it right now without that adapter thingy. Its just a waste of 30-40 bucks.
Nice setup, I wanna do the same thing. What kind of wiring harness you got and where/how much you paid, and where did you get the single din draw ?

What about the antenna ? Does it slide out every time you turn on the car or like it was with the bose unit (only when you hit the radio button) ?

I'm surpised the old bose speakers sound better.... I mean the speakers are only 1 or 2 way .... I thought to replace them with pioneer or kenwood 3 or 4 way speakers like I had in my mitsubishi because there is a day and night difference in how they sounded in comparison to my bose speakers. My bose speakers are not bad, but I remember how my Pioneer cd player and Kenwood 220w 4way speakers sounded with the same cd playing and I can tell you - the bose speakers/unit are cr@p.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll just use this thread instead of making yet another one.

A friend and I were attempting to replace the Bose HU with an Alpine, and we couldn't get it to work. We also may have blown a fuse, but do not know which (we're gonna test them all tomorrow). Is a new harness the only thing that's needed to use a different unit with the Bose amps? If I should be directed to the Audio forum, a link would be cool. I looked on what I assume was that forum, but it seemed no threads existed with this question. I know I've seen them before so I don't know if I was looking in the right place.

On an un-related note, while pulling the panals off, I noticed a square, red button next to the gear shift. What could it be?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by matrix11229
Nice setup, I wanna do the same thing. What kind of wiring harness you got and where/how much you paid, and where did you get the single din draw ?

What about the antenna ? Does it slide out every time you turn on the car or like it was with the bose unit (only when you hit the radio button) ?

I'm surpised the old bose speakers sound better.... I mean the speakers are only 1 or 2 way .... I thought to replace them with pioneer or kenwood 3 or 4 way speakers like I had in my mitsubishi because there is a day and night difference in how they sounded in comparison to my bose speakers. My bose speakers are not bad, but I remember how my Pioneer cd player and Kenwood 220w 4way speakers sounded with the same cd playing and I can tell you - the bose speakers/unit are cr@p.
I just went to bestbuy and bought everything. head-unit cost me 200, ipod connector 20.00, and the wireing harness and single din kit was about 30 bucks.

And about the speakers I'm sure you could replace them and get a better sound ,but they are components up front not just a 1 way speaker. Just keep the bass down a little because the new hu will rock the $hit out of those bose. If you want bass just buy a mono sub amp and hook it up and now you'll have some killer bass too.

My point is unless your willing to spend several hundred on replacement speakers, just give the old bose a chance. I've been around audio for a while now and this is just MY opinion. Good luck and post some pics up when your done.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by lordnikon9
I'll just use this thread instead of making yet another one.

A friend and I were attempting to replace the Bose HU with an Alpine, and we couldn't get it to work. We also may have blown a fuse, but do not know which (we're gonna test them all tomorrow). Is a new harness the only thing that's needed to use a different unit with the Bose amps? If I should be directed to the Audio forum, a link would be cool. I looked on what I assume was that forum, but it seemed no threads existed with this question. I know I've seen them before so I don't know if I was looking in the right place.

On an un-related note, while pulling the panals off, I noticed a square, red button next to the gear shift. What could it be?
Its most likly a fuse ,but not the one you think. Check them all. If your clock is working when the ignition is on then it probably is faulty wiring or a bad ground.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:55 AM

I just went to bestbuy and bought everything. head-unit cost me 200, ipod connector 20.00, and the wireing harness and single din kit was about 30 bucks.

And about the speakers I'm sure you could replace them and get a better sound ,but they are components up front not just a 1 way speaker. Just keep the bass down a little because the new hu will rock the $hit out of those bose. If you want bass just buy a mono sub amp and hook it up and now you'll have some killer bass too.

My point is unless your willing to spend several hundred on replacement speakers, just give the old bose a chance. I've been around audio for a while now and this is just MY opinion. Good luck and post some pics up when your done.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its most likly a fuse ,but not the one you think. Check them all. If your clock is working when the ignition is on then it probably is faulty wiring or a bad ground.

Yeah, I checked and found two fuses blown (though I couldn't figure out how to check the large ones with the caps on them). It's probably a good idea to get a new harness for this to work properly, yes? And suggested kind?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Yeah, I checked and found two fuses blown (though I couldn't figure out how to check the large ones with the caps on them). It's probably a good idea to get a new harness for this to work properly, yes? And suggested kind?

U blew the fuses installing the radio. It has nothing to do with the harness.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by matrix11229
like the bose.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM

awesome babymac...... now i dont have to waste that extra 30-40bux on some dumb adapter.... im gonna go with an Alphine as well, so all i need is a wiring harness and single din... thats it? Is it easy wiring?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Just basically matching the colors up. Pretty simple. Just make sure you find a good ground.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by mugenmtx3
I need ur suggestion for a bose headunit replacement,i went to bestbuy and somebody told me that i need to replace all the speaker when i did the bose headunit.
The people at best buy are .. well for a lack of better words... idiots...
or atleast most of them...

if you want ot go aftermarket.. im a HUGE fan of Alpine.. i love thier headunits..
and the clarion DX series... like the one with the copper frame... BIG $$$$

or put a newer bose unit.. you would be suprised at the improvement in sound quality form the 96 bose to 2000 units... + mp3 and indash 6 disc on some..
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I ended up giving up. After getting the HU running, it still wasn't going through the speakers, and it would've costed me too much to have a professional do it around here. I also seemed to knock out whatever fust lights my meters at night. I'll have to go through them all again
Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 AM

I ended up giving up. After getting the HU running, it still wasn't going through the speakers, and it would've costed me too much to have a professional do it around here. I also seemed to knock out whatever fust lights my meters at night. I'll have to go through them all again
Assuming you're using your Bose speakers, you'll need to make sure the remote turn-on wire is connected to the wire for the amps for the speakers. Each speaker has their own amp- No power, no sound.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 AM

why is that people in the past suggested using an Adapter, when all u really need is the Headunit and harness?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Most of the posts on here suggest and say that the adapter is required if using the factory speakers with an aftermarket HU. I know someone who switched SPEAKERS and kept the Bose HU and they worked but it didn't sound as good. I switched HU and bough the Scosche. It made the install simpler and my Bose speakers sound better than they did with the Bose HU. To me it's about compatibility. We know that the Boses run a different resistance rating. Since the adapter makes everything talk to each other, why not?
I'd rather spend the $40 and not have to worry about it. To each his own.

Did you get yours working?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:10 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by x X CLoud X x
why is that people in the past suggested using an Adapter, when all u really need is the Headunit and harness?

Again I don't have it and the guy (installer) said it was a waste. You do not need it.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Assuming you're using your Bose speakers, you'll need to make sure the remote turn-on wire is connected to the wire for the amps for the speakers. Each speaker has their own amp- No power, no sound.

So which wire color is that one, and where's it located? With the rest of the wires, there?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Its either the plain blue one or the blue one with a white stripe on it. Not exactly sure which.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 AM

I believe it's the blue wire with white stripe too.
What? A primo HU and NO wiring diagram? Just messing with you.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was referring to which wire the HU's remote wire is supposed to be hooked up to. I'm not understanding the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual well.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for bose headunit replacement