4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GTi VR6 vs. 4th Gen Maxima: Debate finally put to rest!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 11:10 PM
SLOW

Well a few weeks ago I posted about an upcoming race with a modded VW GTi VR6. Guess what, tonight it happened, and now we can finally know definitively the outcome of this race.

The VW GTi has a Garrett Chip, ABD (or ABT, I couldn't tell what he said) intake, and a Thermal R&D exhaust. My maxima has nothing done as far as power mods go.

We found a nice unused industrial road, and raced 2 times, with probably 20 spectators. The distance we used had to be almost exactly 1/4 mile, because we both got into the low 90's MPH range.

1st run, the flagger girl said "1-2-3-Go" really quickly and I hadn't gotten my RPMs steady, and launched too hard and spun the tires a little excessively. My front bumper was at his door, and it stayed there. No one budged, he didn't pull, I didn't make up any ground. It was dead even after the launch. He was impressed, as were the spectators who were shocked to find out that the Max was bone stock.

We raced again about 10 minutes later, and the outcome was the same, except I got a better launch than previously. I told the flagger girl to wait for a second before she started counting, and to drop raise her hands and then drop them instead of counting. I did a 2500 RPM launch, got a bit of spin, manipulated the throttle a bit to get them to stop spinning, and went from there. It was a dead heat. It was like I was racing along side a big mirror and looking at my own reflection. I've never had a race that even... we were mirror images of eachother. We looked back and forth probably 8 times during the 15 seconds or so that we raced. We tied, plain and simple. Afterwards he showed me his timeslips from Stanton, Michigan, that he had just gotten on Wednesday. His best was a 14.93@93.5 mph and the first comment out of his mouth about the track was "that track is S#!t". So I figure I'll be turning the same sort of time slips when i go to the track, of course when I go I won't have any subs in the trunk or a spare or a jack and i'll be on 15" wheels instead of 17"s.

Anyways, thats how it ended up. The argument can be put to rest now. (Heh yeah right, I know there are going to be arguments about this for the next week.)
Old 06-29-2001, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Well a few weeks ago I posted about an upcoming race with a modded VW GTi VR6. Guess what, tonight it happened, and now we can finally know definitively the outcome of this race.

The VW GTi has a Garrett Chip, ABD (or ABT, I couldn't tell what he said) intake, and a Thermal R&D exhaust. My maxima has nothing done as far as power mods go.

We found a nice unused industrial road, and raced 2 times, with probably 20 spectators. The distance we used had to be almost exactly 1/4 mile, because we both got into the low 90's MPH range.

1st run, the flagger girl said "1-2-3-Go" really quickly and I hadn't gotten my RPMs steady, and launched too hard and spun the tires a little excessively. My front bumper was at his door, and it stayed there. No one budged, he didn't pull, I didn't make up any ground. It was dead even after the launch. He was impressed, as were the spectators who were shocked to find out that the Max was bone stock.

We raced again about 10 minutes later, and the outcome was the same, except I got a better launch than previously. I told the flagger girl to wait for a second before she started counting, and to drop raise her hands and then drop them instead of counting. I did a 2500 RPM launch, got a bit of spin, manipulated the throttle a bit to get them to stop spinning, and went from there. It was a dead heat. It was like I was racing along side a big mirror and looking at my own reflection. I've never had a race that even... we were mirror images of eachother. We looked back and forth probably 8 times during the 15 seconds or so that we raced. We tied, plain and simple. Afterwards he showed me his timeslips from Stanton, Michigan, that he had just gotten on Wednesday. His best was a 14.93@93.5 mph and the first comment out of his mouth about the track was "that track is S#!t". So I figure I'll be turning the same sort of time slips when i go to the track, of course when I go I won't have any subs in the trunk or a spare or a jack and i'll be on 15" wheels instead of 17"s.

Anyways, thats how it ended up. The argument can be put to rest now. (Heh yeah right, I know there are going to be arguments about this for the next week.)
I personally have beaten GTI's before, but since some people (who doesn't know how to drive) happened to say that GTi can beat a Maxima. Well, I guess many people here just can't drive.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:41 PM

i lost by a carlength to my friends gti vr6...he has a intake, chip, and exhaust.....
Old 06-30-2001, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by buss95max
i lost by a carlength to my friends gti vr6...he has a intake, chip, and exhaust.....
Are you an auto? If so that is probably what made the difference.

K
Old 06-30-2001, 06:32 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re GTI VR6

Raced 3 here on base.......beat em all. 2 were modded 1 just had exhaust. Modded Jetta VR6 gave me a better run, till i shifted into 3rd. He caught up with me a a donut shop......asked wtf i had in my car. I love the shock on people's face when a 4DR Family car smokes em.

Aaron
Old 06-30-2001, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a run in with one of these.

I posted about it awhile back. We never got to drag race, we just got on the highway at the same exit. I saw him on my *** so I gunned it. He never was able to pass me but I couldn't get away from him. Even up to 130, he was still slowly pulling up to me. I was impressed. Then I had to exit, so we gave each other a thumbs up and went on our way. It was a lot of fun.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Are you an auto? If so that is probably what made the difference.

K
yup..
Old 06-30-2001, 03:15 PM

Re: Re GTI VR6

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
Raced 3 here on base.......beat em all. 2 were modded 1 just had exhaust. Modded Jetta VR6 gave me a better run, till i shifted into 3rd. He caught up with me a a donut shop......asked wtf i had in my car.

I love the shock on people's face when a 4DR Family car smokes em.

Aaron
And what the hell is a Jetta?
Old 07-01-2001, 12:07 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Re GTI VR6

Originally posted by SithMax

And what the hell is a Jetta?
Umm..... A Volkswagen Jetta.....also called a Vento in some european markets i believe... 4 door...trunk....same platform as a golf....just has a trunk.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re GTI VR6

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Umm..... A Volkswagen Jetta.....also called a Vento in some european markets i believe... 4 door...trunk....same platform as a golf....just has a trunk.
Sithmax's question is retorical. your reply contained his implied point: the jetta is a 4dr family car.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:23 AM
kit

but i'm sure if it's a GTI 1.8T with a chip, it would be faster than both VR6 and max.
that makes the VR6 doesn't worth to buy.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re GTI VR6

Originally posted by jay_x

Sithmax's question is retorical. your reply contained his implied point: the jetta is a 4dr family car.
Thank you. Some people just don't pay attention...
Old 07-02-2001, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by kit
but i'm sure if it's a GTI 1.8T with a chip, it would be faster than both VR6 and max.
that makes the VR6 doesn't worth to buy.
True, but it is also a TURBO! It should beat N/A cars if it has a chip upgrade. Sith, I hear ya...

K