4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 10:16 AM

Im installing my H&Rs and KYBs this coming Saturday and the only tools I dont have are a spring Compressor and a bigger torque wrench.

What I want to know is when I go to my local auto parts store and ask to borrow these particular tools, is there a name for the exact spring compressor and torque wrench I need? In other words, I want to make sure Im using the correct tools.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by DCmax
Im installing my H&Rs and KYBs this coming Saturday and the only tools I dont have are a spring Compressor and a bigger torque wrench.

What I want to know is when I go to my local auto parts store and ask to borrow these particular tools, is there a name for the exact spring compressor and torque wrench I need? In other words, I want to make sure Im using the correct tools.

Thanks.
Yo Andrew, I have the slightest clue on the specific names, but when I did my install, I went to Autozone and had to deposit $40 (not bad compared to Trak Auto's $120) for the spring compressors (comes in pairs and are to be used on the outside of the springs, there is another spring compressor that goes on the inside so don't get that one), and for some stupid reason they were asking a $90 deposit for the torque wrench, so I saw the same wrench on the shelf for under $12 and bought that one. The torque wrench I bought was the needle kind. Anyway, if you go to Autozone, go to the loaner-tools counter and they have a menu on the counter with pictures they have of the tools and you'll know which spring compressors I'm talking about.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:46 AM

Thanks Ben - how long did Autozone let you rent the tools for? Im planning on starting the install early in the morning on Saturday and I dont want to wait till the store opens, Id rather pick them up on Friday if possible. Unfortunatley, we dont have an Autozone in Fairfax so Ill probably have to turn to Trak Auto or a local parts place so hopefully I wont have any problems finding the tools I need.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:33 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DCmax
Thanks Ben - how long did Autozone let you rent the tools for? Im planning on starting the install early in the morning on Saturday and I dont want to wait till the store opens, Id rather pick them up on Friday if possible. Unfortunatley, we dont have an Autozone in Fairfax so Ill probably have to turn to Trak Auto or a local parts place so hopefully I wont have any problems finding the tools I need.
When I did my spring install I rented a spring compressor from my local PepBoys. $50 deposit, and they would have let me keep the thing for something like 2 weeks, although I didn't.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Spring Compressor

I bought on from Harbor Freight they sell them for $10 if you don't mind waiting for them to ship. At least that way you have it if you ever need to use it again.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:21 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Spring Compressor

At Autozone, you can keep the tools for as long as you want. I guess they charge you enough so that if you do not return the tools, you actually paid for them.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:22 AM

Harbor Freight Spring Compressors

Originally posted by MadMax95
I bought on from Harbor Freight they sell them for $10 if you don't mind waiting for them to ship. At least that way you have it if you ever need to use it again.
Good: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

Better: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43753

Best: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43168

Keep in mind that Harbor Freight waives shipping (but not handling) charges on orders which exceed $50.