4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electronically controlled front engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 AM
cpt

We just got a GLE to replace our wrecked GXE and I noticed it has an Electronically controlled front engine mount and Liquid filled rear shock mounts. What do they do and any thing I need to know about them.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:51 AM
cpt

If you are not sure stop the insults and get off my thread. That came directly from the FAQ describing the GLE.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 AM

i have to see this, take pics, I must be waay outta tha loop here, I have never heard of an electronically controlled front engine mount on a max or liquid filled rear shock mounts...your rear shocks for rear wheels? how did you see/notice this? jack car up, take wheel off, take back seat out? I have heard of liquid filled motor mounts tho..that sounds more reasonable.

edit: so liquid mounts and electronic mounts are the same? I just learned of this because both of my max's were 5spds. and neither have liquid/electronic mounts
Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I support for what?

All automatic maximas have a electronic controlled front engine mount.

Edit: Here is info how the mount works

Basically it's a hydraulic mount that has two chambers filled with fluid. A large orifice valve and a small orifice valve connect the chambers. The large orifice is a rotary valve while the small orifice is always open. The small orifice makes the mount work like a stiff shock absorber.

When the engine is idling, a vacuum motor turns the large orifice valve to the open position. This allows more fluid to move between the two chambers. This makes the mount softer and absorbs engine idle shake. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controls when vacuum is applied to the large orifice valve through a solenoid valve.

Above idle speed, vacuum to the large orifice valve is vented and closes. It goes back to the small orifice operation and becomes stiffer. To check it, apply vacuum to the engine mount with a hand vacuum pump and note the reading. It should remain steady. If it drops the engine mount is bad and needs replacing
Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wrong!!!!

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
ur on crack.....i am pretty sure you have liquid fulled engine mounts only....i cant be sure

he is not on crack you are stupid. he is right, ck the wire diagram!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 AM
cpt

This is the entire post from the FAQ on which style Maxima has what. If you will look at the last two items you will see what I mean. Hench, that's why I asked the question. I didn't look at them but wanted to know what they did.

--How do I know which trim level I am looking at? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 4th gen Maxima was offered in three trim levels for the US market:
GXE "The essential Maxima"
SE "The Sportiest Maxima"
GLE "The luxurious Maxima"

All trim levels have the same engine, so performance differences between them are pretty much nil. The best way to tell which trim level you have is to decode the VIN Plate. This is due to much part swapping and trim upgrading, even transmission swaps that can be done.

TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE:
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows:
E = GXE
G = GLE
V = SE

There are some feature differences that can help you determine the trim level on site. Keep in mind that most of these can be changed aftermarket by the owner, but as we know the VAST majority of Maximas on the street are bone stock...

GXE
Black guage faces
Cloth seats
Basic stereo (BOSE optional but extremely rare)
Probably no sunroof (optional but very rare)
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
5spd or Auto trans
No spoiler
No fog lights
Steel wheels with hubcaps
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C

SE
White guage faces
"Sport" Cloth or leather seats
Basic or BOSE stereo
May have sunroof
Black outer window trim
Body color door handles
5spd or auto trans
Spoiler
Fog lights
15" blade-style (95-96) or 16" 5 spoke (97-99) alloy wheels
Body color grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C or climate control
"Sport" suspension
Electronically controlled front engine mount on automatic transmission cars
Liquid filled rear shock mounts
(In Canada there is a model called the ES which is like an SE minus the BOSE, leather, sunroof, and spoiler (All standard on a Canadian SE). But, it does include the VLSD trans.)

GLE
Black guage faces
Leather seats
BOSE stereo
Sunroof
Chrome outer window trim and door handles
Auto trans only
No spoiler
No fog lights
15" honeycomb (95-96) or 15" blade-style (97-99) alloy wheels
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Fake wood color dash and door trim
Fuzzy A-pillars on some years
Pop-out drawer (not flip-down) below radio on some years
Climate control only
Liquid filled rear shock mounts

Keep in mind that spoilers, foglights, mudflaps and wood dash trim could be had as dealer-installed options on all levels.

Other options like heated seats, traction control, ABS and the like were offered on more than one trim level, so they are not a reliable indicator.

Send me a PM if you think of things to add to the list.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Electronically controlled front engine mount - yes (http://www.jatan.net/enginemount.jpg)
Liquid filled rear shock mounts - doubt it
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM

dude----wtf

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Electronically controlled front engine mount - yes (http://www.jatan.net/enginemount.jpg)
Liquid filled rear shock mounts - doubt it

you might know all about mods but you dont know crap about oem do you. Yes they are liquid filled.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM

engine mounts that is.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM

cpt - good job looking at things before you speak - its a real lacking in these fourms as you can see. have a good day and good luck with your max.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 PM

i have a 95 gle. when i did my tranny swap i took the opportunity to take out both my mounts, cut them up, and fill them w/ polyurethane. i do remember liquid stuff oozing out. and the front one does have an electric plug, but i just cut that off.