4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

people.. i have exhaust questions, and i need answers ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 07:55 PM
KCTYPHOON

i have a 95 gle.. i want to replace EVERYTHING from the y-pipe back to the muffler. first off, i was just under the car and took my first real look at the system. rite off of the y-pipe is the flex-section, that goes to what im assuming is the cat. after the cat there is a big cylinder shaped muffler lookin thing that i havent the slightest clue what it is. what the hell is that? secondly, what exactly to i need to buy to replace the ENTIRE system. just the y-pipe, cat,b- pipe and muffler? i already have a stillen ss muffler. does the b-pipe replace the big muffler lookin thing behind the cat? is the b- pipe one or two peices? on the stillen site, theres an +sti-intermediate pipe for sale for $259 for a 95-99 and then a +sti-aluminum rear sect. exh for 285.17 for just a 95/96 max. what is the second one? i also found an a32 mid-pipe from courtesy nissan for $189.95.. is that the same thing? just as good? is the stillen worth the extra money or not? now what do i do for a cat? where ? how much? which one? and then finally... what y-pipe? so far the only one i havent heard bad things about is the one from warpspeed.. anyone wanna gimme some suggestions?? i want to try to keep the car as quiet as possible.. oh.. one more stupid question.. when i order a y-pipe it does come wiht the flex section rite? i know i probably asked the same thing over and over.. but y-pipe/cat/b-pipe.. is that all i need and what should i go with??

Old 07-02-2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
i have a 95 gle.. i want to replace EVERYTHING from the y-pipe back to the muffler. first off, i was just under the car and took my first real look at the system. rite off of the y-pipe is the flex-section, that goes to what im assuming is the cat. after the cat there is a big cylinder shaped muffler lookin thing that i havent the slightest clue what it is. what the hell is that? secondly, what exactly to i need to buy to replace the ENTIRE system. just the y-pipe, cat,b- pipe and muffler? i already have a stillen ss muffler. does the b-pipe replace the big muffler lookin thing behind the cat? is the b- pipe one or two peices? on the stillen site, theres an +sti-intermediate pipe for sale for $259 for a 95-99 and then a +sti-aluminum rear sect. exh for 285.17 for just a 95/96 max. what is the second one? i also found an a32 mid-pipe from courtesy nissan for $189.95.. is that the same thing? just as good? is the stillen worth the extra money or not? now what do i do for a cat? where ? how much? which one? and then finally... what y-pipe? so far the only one i havent heard bad things about is the one from warpspeed.. anyone wanna gimme some suggestions?? i want to try to keep the car as quiet as possible.. oh.. one more stupid question.. when i order a y-pipe it does come wiht the flex section rite? i know i probably asked the same thing over and over.. but y-pipe/cat/b-pipe.. is that all i need and what should i go with??
Answers: 1)That is the stock version of a B-pipe.
2)I could be wrong, but if I am I would be amazed. All you need to replace the entire exhaust system is the Y-pipe, cat, B-pipe & muffler.
3)The B-pipe runs from the cat to the muffler, it does replace the "the big muffler lookin thing behind the cat".
4)To the best of my knowledge the B-pipe is only one piece. I dont know for sure and I would get a second opinion on this one.
5)I believe that the stillen B-pipe is probably a little bit better than the other ones but I am also a stillen fan. I have been told that it will be louder than the other brands but that is also what I am looking for.
6)For the cat I would go with the Random Technology cat - it is a little louder than the stock one but will be worth it for the power gain. Go to www.EatRiceZone.com and email Phuong for info on the price, I think it is about $170.
7)If you want to keep the car quite do NOT go with the stillen Y-pipe, it is loud. I cannot suggest another brand of Y-pipe off hand but I am sure there will be others to post who can.
8)My Y-pipe has not arived yet so I dont know if it has the flex section or not, I am almost posative that it does.

I hope this helped you out, sorry I dont know the answers to all your questions. Good luck with the mods, let us know how it comes out.

K
Old 07-02-2001, 09:06 PM
KCTYPHOON

thank you

any help is mch apreciated

Old 07-02-2001, 09:11 PM

Your welcome

any help is mch apreciated
Thats what we are all here for.

K
Old 07-02-2001, 10:18 PM
KCTYPHOON

please.. anyone else wanna gimme opinions on y pipes??

Old 07-02-2001, 10:35 PM

After the cat the big cylinder looking thing you are referring to is probably the resonator. It helps to quiet down the exhaust. As for y-pipe brands try Cattman:
http://www.cattman.com/y-pipes.shtml#pipes

To be honest with you I've heard of complaints about all three brands of y-pipes. Some more prevalent than others but I believe the newer ones have been improved. The older ones can be fixed with header wrap. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
After the cat the big cylinder looking thing you are referring to is probably the resonator. It helps to quiet down the exhaust. As for y-pipe brands try Cattman:
http://www.cattman.com/y-pipes.shtml#pipes
Just noticed your thread on cattman y-pipes.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:36 AM

It doesn't really matter which brand you go for (WarpSpeed, Cattman, or Stillen). They all make the bees in a can if there's something wrong with it. I have the WarpSpeed pipe and it's got major bees in a can, even header wrap around the flex section will not get rid of the problem. So really, you might be one of the lucky ones to inherit a good pipe. As for gains, it is very noticeable!
Old 07-03-2001, 02:15 AM
OG :)

Sure. Stillen 2-piece fitted my '95 GLE perfectly. Also the same pipe works thru '01 models *convenient for re-sell, comes with Nissan gaskets- above my expectations and looks nice.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:31 AM

If you do any of these mods rest assured your car will be noticeably louder. I'm happy with mine but will be reinstalling the stock muffler soon to tone things down a bit. And I'm still running the stock resonator.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Okay, the bees in the can sound is going to happen in ANY y-pipe with a flex section. PERIOD. There's nothing wrong with the y-pipe if it does this. The sound is caused by the exhaust rushing into the flex section which is "ribbed" and is a much thinner gauge of metal vs the rest of the pipe. The exhaust rushing into flex resonates because of the ribs and the sound is louder because of the thinner gauge. Warpspeed is now using a fex section that is lined with the same webbed steel that appears on the outside of the flex section. This webbing reduces the resonating quite a bit and I believe this is what Nissan uses in the stock Y-pipe.

Anytime you reduce restriction in the exhaust, it will be louder. Adding a catback to the 4th gen sounds very nice, but once you add the Y-pipe, things get VERY LOUD. Why? Because you're removing two precats in the exhaust. A ton of noise is absorbed by these bricks (precats). With the y-pipe, any aftermarket muffler will resonate (HKS, Greddy, Stillen, Apexi). Like I've said time and time again, I ran the same ets and trap speeds at the track with my stock muffler as I did with my HKS muffler. THe stock muffler will quiet things down. I run a y-pipe, RT cat, and B-pipe and it's still fairly loud compared to stock. It doesn't resonate, but lack of precats, flex section, thinner gauge piping, and a much smaller resonator in the B-pipe makes for more noise. I like it most of the time. I just wish the VQ had a different firing order so that the motor sounded more healthy from idle to 3500rpms before the cool intake noise kicks in. When I go WOT, many people ask what exhaust I have. Their jaws drop when I tell them it's a stock black painted muffler with a 3" tip. It's the iintake that sounds so good

Dave
Old 07-03-2001, 09:40 AM
maximaR

Be carefull if you get a Cattman pipe, it is very high quality, but the pipe is a 3 inch pipe. Depending on what you want it could be good or bad ,a 2.5 pipe will provide a little less flow but better torque. Im not possitive though , so if im wrong , someone please set me straight.

Old 07-03-2001, 10:30 AM
doz

Originally posted by maximaR
Be carefull if you get a Cattman pipe, it is very high quality, but the pipe is a 3 inch pipe. Depending on what you want it could be good or bad ,a 2.5 pipe will provide a little less flow but better torque. Im not possitive though , so if im wrong , someone please set me straight.
Cattman Y-pipes come in 2 sizes:

2.5 inch pipe and a 3 inch pipe (for Supercharges and turbos).
Old 07-03-2001, 10:55 AM

Hi all.

I just ordered my Cattman Y pipe (2.5) and the POP air filter. The understanding that I have from Brian Catts at Cattman is that the Pre-Cat is replaced with the Y pipe and yes it will be louder. He is going to be releasing in the next 30 days, a new cat-back system with two options for mufflers. One will be louder. One will be a touring muffler. He is confident that we will like the sound it will be made to the same quality as his Y pipes. His flex joints are reported to be the best quality. He sells comparable products to Stillen at a lower price. (and his people at the warehouse are much more pleasant to deal with) He responds to technical questions within a couple of days via e-mail.
Vince at Courtesy Nissan parts department is very helpful via the phone. He will take as much time as you need to understand what you are doing and buying. He does have a custom exhaust but he will be the first to tell you that it is very loud. One of his guys got a ticket a fe weeks ago from teh Dallas cops for volume. Courtesy and Cattman have the best prices usually and are the easiest to deal with.

I ran into a website for a guy with media files of his car. I will try to get his website from my home computer. He has various media files of his car with various options installed to include a supercharger.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:20 AM
maximaR

Cool

Originally posted by doz

Cattman Y-pipes come in 2 sizes:

2.5 inch pipe and a 3 inch pipe (for Supercharges and turbos).
Thanks DOZ , i wasnt sure, but thats cool to know. i might pick up a cattman soon than , is the 2.5 stainless ?

Old 07-03-2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Okay, the bees in the can sound is going to happen in ANY y-pipe with a flex section. PERIOD. There's nothing wrong with the y-pipe if it does this. The sound is caused by the exhaust rushing into the flex section which is "ribbed" and is a much thinner gauge of metal vs the rest of the pipe. The exhaust rushing into flex resonates because of the ribs and the sound is louder because of the thinner gauge. Warpspeed is now using a fex section that is lined with the same webbed steel that appears on the outside of the flex section. This webbing reduces the resonating quite a bit and I believe this is what Nissan uses in the stock Y-pipe.

Anytime you reduce restriction in the exhaust, it will be louder. Adding a catback to the 4th gen sounds very nice, but once you add the Y-pipe, things get VERY LOUD. Why? Because you're removing two precats in the exhaust. A ton of noise is absorbed by these bricks (precats). With the y-pipe, any aftermarket muffler will resonate (HKS, Greddy, Stillen, Apexi). Like I've said time and time again, I ran the same ets and trap speeds at the track with my stock muffler as I did with my HKS muffler. THe stock muffler will quiet things down. I run a y-pipe, RT cat, and B-pipe and it's still fairly loud compared to stock. It doesn't resonate, but lack of precats, flex section, thinner gauge piping, and a much smaller resonator in the B-pipe makes for more noise. I like it most of the time. I just wish the VQ had a different firing order so that the motor sounded more healthy from idle to 3500rpms before the cool intake noise kicks in. When I go WOT, many people ask what exhaust I have. Their jaws drop when I tell them it's a stock black painted muffler with a 3" tip. It's the iintake that sounds so good

Dave
Yo Dave,

I have an old cattman y-pipe, no flex, and I have terrible bees in the can. I am sending it to cattman to have them put their new flex in it. Will that stop it? Someone told me its because I need a resonator in my b-pipe? Actually it seems to stop, once I've been driving my car for a long time(i.e. 15 mins straight). Thanks for any help.

-Mike
Old 07-03-2001, 11:54 AM

Re: Cool

Thanks DOZ , i wasnt sure, but thats cool to know. i might pick up a cattman soon than , is the 2.5 stainless ?
Ok, so I have the Stillen B-pipe and muffler. If I get the Y-Pipe, it replaces the cats altogether. How are you guys running a cat. and the other stuff?
Old 07-03-2001, 12:24 PM

Re: Cool

Yes. Cattman's exhaust are Mandrel bent and stainless for best through put and durability.

Should cost around 420.00 shipped. they are suppossed to get stock back in to fill orders Thursday July 5.....
Old 07-03-2001, 03:16 PM
KCTYPHOON

OK..

so which is the quietest of the 3??

Old 07-03-2001, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Cool

Originally posted by SC99MaxSELmtd

Ok, so I have the Stillen B-pipe and muffler. If I get the Y-Pipe, it replaces the cats altogether. How are you guys running a cat. and the other stuff?
The Y-pipe does not replace the cat, only the pre-cats(both of them). It goes from the engine to the cat. The B-pipe goes from the cat to the muffler. You will still need/have a cat. If you get a higher flow cat it will help out also and make it louder also.

I have heard that the quietest of the 3 is the cattman Y-pipe - GET A SECOND OPINION ON THIS! I have not heard any of the 3 in person and in a week I will have only heard the Stillen one.

K
Old 07-03-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cool

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

The Y-pipe does not replace the cat, only the pre-cats(both of them). It goes from the engine to the cat. The B-pipe goes from the cat to the muffler. You will still need/have a cat. If you get a higher flow cat it will help out also and make it louder also.

I have heard that the quietest of the 3 is the cattman Y-pipe - GET A SECOND OPINION ON THIS! I have not heard any of the 3 in person and in a week I will have only heard the Stillen one.

K
Stillen told me their Y-pipe replaces the two pre-cats and the B-pipe replaces the third so that with all three components you have no cat. They said to have a cat. I would have to cut the B-pipe. Sounds fishy to me. So you are saying the Stillen Y-pipe replaces the two precats, but my B-pipe has already replaced the other cat so where is there room for any more cats?
Old 07-03-2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
This sounds ok except I don't have any bees in the can sound that I'm aware of.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:57 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE

This sounds ok except I don't have any bees in the can sound that I'm aware of.
what one do u have?

Old 07-03-2001, 09:26 PM

Uhhhhhh.....

Stillen told me their Y-pipe replaces the two pre-cats and the B-pipe replaces the third so that with all three components you have no cat. They said to have a cat. I would have to cut the B-pipe. Sounds fishy to me. So you are saying the Stillen Y-pipe replaces the two precats, but my B-pipe has already replaced the other cat so where is there room for any more cats?
I have no idea. I was totally unaware that the B-pipe replaced the real cat. go to http://www.EatRiceZone.com and email Phuong about it, I know he will be able to answer your question. Tell him you are from Maxima.org. He also posts here(Got Rice?).

K
Old 07-04-2001, 03:31 AM

what one do u have?
I have the WSP 409 Y pipe; didn't mention that bc it's in my sig in my first reply to this thread.
Old 07-04-2001, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To Clarify........

Any aftermarket Y-pipe replaces the Two PRE-cats. The it goes into the Cat. Then comes the B-pipe.

So if you get a Y-pipe and a B-pipe, you'll still have a Cat. The only way you won't have a cat is if you remove the cat and put in a test pipe.

I have a warpspeed Y-pipe and it's really loud, but it's not the bees in the can noise. There is actually a leak in the flex section of the pipe which is causing the noise. But dallas is shipping me out a replacement flex section this week. Hopefully it'll clear up all the problems.

Get a Y-pipe! You will definately feel the difference.
Old 07-04-2001, 09:23 AM

Y-pipe to B-pipe

Sounds like Stillen was floating me a load of crap. I guess now when I get my Y-pipe, I will have to get an RT cat as well. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:50 AM
KCTYPHOON

just to keep people updated...

if anyone was wondering what i've decided to go with as far as exhaust since ive been asking all these questions, here goes. ive ordered the b-pipe from courtesy nissan and the random technology cat last nite. as far as the y pipe goes, im leaning towards the warpspeed. why? well, from all the information ive read, i really dont think that there is a wrong choice at all. but, from what ive read elsewhere, there are people saying that they've had the stillen for about a yr or so and can see it developing rust spots. aside from having my own personal issues with cattman, there were two for sale on the parts forum, both having new flex sections put on. in my eyes i see that as just asking for a problem. so, as of now, im gonna go with the warpspeed unless some one that has had all 3 on his car can sway me other wise. once again though, thank you eveyone for the time you've taken to respnd to my questions. you've all been a big help and its hard to find people these days who r willing to help you when theres no benefit in it for them..thanks

Old 07-04-2001, 03:45 PM

Re: just to keep people updated...

if anyone was wondering what i've decided to go with as far as exhaust since ive been asking all these questions, here goes. ive ordered the b-pipe from courtesy nissan and the random technology cat last nite. as far as the y pipe goes, im leaning towards the warpspeed. why? well, from all the information ive read, i really dont think that there is a wrong choice at all. but, from what ive read elsewhere, there are people saying that they've had the stillen for about a yr or so and can see it developing rust spots. aside from having my own personal issues with cattman, there were two for sale on the parts forum, both having new flex sections put on. in my eyes i see that as just asking for a problem. so, as of now, im gonna go with the warpspeed unless some one that has had all 3 on his car can sway me other wise. once again though, thank you eveyone for the time you've taken to respnd to my questions. you've all been a big help and its hard to find people these days who r willing to help you when theres no benefit in it for them..thanks
There are benefits for us replying to questions here. 1) The satisfaction of helping others with the same problems we had when we were in their situation and 2) You all know you want the "needs non-maxima friends" below your name.

K
Old 07-04-2001, 05:47 PM

My flex section was bad on my warpspeed pipe. And I've been trying to get the issue resolved for the past three months. I was promised over and over, but still nothing has been done.
I'm supposed to get my replacement flex section next week, but I've heard that before.

We'll see next week.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
My flex section was bad on my warpspeed pipe. And I've been trying to get the issue resolved for the past three months. I was promised over and over, but still nothing has been done.
I'm supposed to get my replacement flex section next week, but I've heard that before.

We'll see next week.
I'm probably going to go with the $tealin Y-pipe because I think it is equal to the Cattman in performance and quality and I have a couple issues with Cattman ******* other peoples Y-pipes.
Old 07-04-2001, 09:04 PM
KCTYPHOON

I'm probably going to go with the $tealin Y-pipe because I think it is equal to the Cattman in performance and quality and I have a couple issues with Cattman ******* other peoples Y-pipes.
is there any reason why you decided to go with the stillen over the warpspeed? or is it just because you like stillen? funny.. thats the first bad thing ive heard about the warpspeed one.. now ya got me thinkin.. anybody have a rust problem with the stillen pipe?

Old 07-04-2001, 09:17 PM

is there any reason why you decided to go with the stillen over the warpspeed? or is it just because you like stillen? funny.. thats the first bad thing ive heard about the warpspeed one.. now ya got me thinkin.. anybody have a rust problem with the stillen pipe?
To tell you the truth I am getting the Stillen because I hear it gives a great sound. I have the Stillen B-pipe and muffler already and I think the quality is about the same in all three, so it comes down to sound for me. I have heard people having flex problems with all three brands, so don't let that dissuade you. I guess for that, it comes down to customer service if there are problems. I don't know about rust comparisons on them, sorry.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:26 AM

Ask around, I think others had issues too. I think sprintmax had the same problem that I did.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: just to keep people updated...

Read comments on the Courtesy B-pipe on Greg Prete's website: grprete.jnet.net (i think). According to him, the Courtesy pipe doesn't connect all the way up to the cat unlike the Stillen Pipe. That funny looking extension pipe will stay on there instead.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:22 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Re: just to keep people updated...

Originally posted by SillePimp

Read comments on the Courtesy B-pipe on Greg Prete's website: grprete.jnet.net (i think). According to him, the Courtesy pipe doesn't connect all the way up to the cat unlike the Stillen Pipe. That funny looking extension pipe will stay on there instead.
wow.. thanks for the info.. i was on his site for about an hour.. very nice and informative site.. i was kinda hoping i could find his comments on how the exhaust sounded with all 4 aftermarket peices but didnt see any.. BUT.. thanks to him ( and you for refering me to the site ), im canceling my order for the courtesy b- pipe. i also had recieved an email from courtesy nissan stating that the b-pipe was on back order for the next week and a half. i need parts now!! im now going to order the stillen b- pipe, and mabye even the y pipe from them too. it would kinda make sense to keep everything from the same manufacturer, and im begining to loose faith in warpspeed. first off, you cant order the pipe over the net on their page as far as i could tell. secondly, i emailed them requesting some more information on the pipe 2 days ago and i still havent had a response. i would have probably ordered it rite then and there if i could have on their site with a credit card. too bad for them cause i also had my eye on their CAI also.. hehe. and also having the problems i already do with cattman, which is also a small private business, i think im just asking for trouble again if i go with warpspeed. anyone have their intake system? thoughts on it?? oh.. ! and also one more thing.. part of the reason im replacing the entire exhaust is because the hangers are rusting off. are the hangers on the stock cat part of the cat itself or are they a seperate peice im going to need to reuse with the cat from random technology? or does the new cat have its own brackets? or will i need to go out and purchase new ones from nissan?? thanks again.. <-- dazed and confused

Old 07-05-2001, 09:27 PM

Is it normal to hear a rushing air noise with a y-pipe around/over 3000rpm when you get on the gas?

-V
Old 07-05-2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by vmok
Is it normal to hear a rushing air noise with a y-pipe around/over 3000rpm when you get on the gas?

-V
Im not sure that Im right or not but I think that is what everyone means when they refer to the "bees in the can" sound. It is/isnt normal. It happens to a lot of Y-pipes but shouldnt happen to them. I dont think it hurts anything though, its just anoying.

K
Old 07-06-2001, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by vmok

-V
I hear this all the time on my WarpSpeed Y-pipe even with header wrap around it. My next mod will be the Apexi Exhaust and hopefully, the bees in a can will not be as annoying as it is right now.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:47 AM
doz

Re: Re: Re: just to keep people updated...

wow.. thanks for the info.. i was on his site for about an hour.. very nice and informative site.. i was kinda hoping i could find his comments on how the exhaust sounded with all 4 aftermarket peices but didnt see any.. BUT.. thanks to him ( and you for refering me to the site ), im canceling my order for the courtesy b- pipe. i also had recieved an email from courtesy nissan stating that the b-pipe was on back order for the next week and a half. i need parts now!! im now going to order the stillen b- pipe, and mabye even the y pipe from them too. it would kinda make sense to keep everything from the same manufacturer, and im begining to loose faith in warpspeed. first off, you cant order the pipe over the net on their page as far as i could tell. secondly, i emailed them requesting some more information on the pipe 2 days ago and i still havent had a response. i would have probably ordered it rite then and there if i could have on their site with a credit card. too bad for them cause i also had my eye on their CAI also.. hehe. and also having the problems i already do with cattman, which is also a small private business, i think im just asking for trouble again if i go with warpspeed. anyone have their intake system? thoughts on it?? oh.. ! and also one more thing.. part of the reason im replacing the entire exhaust is because the hangers are rusting off. are the hangers on the stock cat part of the cat itself or are they a seperate peice im going to need to reuse with the cat from random technology? or does the new cat have its own brackets? or will i need to go out and purchase new ones from nissan?? thanks again.. <-- dazed and confused
If you haven't already ordered the Stillen B-pipe and Y-pipe get a quote from Avalon Racing (www.avalonracing.net). (Sometimes you have to pester them for a response.) There prices are cheaper than going through Stillen directly. If your hangers are rusted I would recommend getting new ones from Nissan. Actually, Greg Prete's site has a lot of the part numbers for the hardware. Also, the Stillen B-pipe does not come with the bolts that connect the B-pipe to the muffler (see Greg Prete's Stillen B-Pipe write-up). Last thing, if your exhaust is that rusty you may want to replace your O2 sensors too...

Quick Reply: people.. i have exhaust questions, and i need answers ASAP