4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

timing cover and noisy injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM

timing cover and noisy injectors

Well my 98 has had a small oil leak for awhile, probably for around 6 months, never really noticed it before, because my tranny use to drop oil like crazy (12" diameter spill after sitting for 2 hours). Anyways the tranny is fixed and doesnt leak, but now i have developed an oil leak. From what i can see it looks like it could be my rear valve cover. Reason being is when the car is running i can smell burning oil, the leak is on the firewall side of the engine. Now this all makes sense, when i replaced my rear o2 sensor, if you are familar with it, the connector for the rear o2 is up in the engine bay by the top of the intake manifold. I looked down and ontop of my heat sheild i noticed there was oil on there, and what looked to be oil that had been burned. Also there is now engine oil residue on my passenger side axle.

Today while i had the car on the hoist(i work at nissan in parts) one of the mechanics came up and was helping me look for an exhaust rattle and noticed the oil leak. He said looks like it could be timing cover or it could be rear valve cover. Now if its timing cover its 26 hours flat rate or something like that. I dont need to do the math for that but for those who dont know labour rate it would equate to about $2288(88/hr) but i only get charged 55/hr when i do let them work on my car. so $1430.

The car has 182K miles on it, the car runs good, but theres no way im spending $1430 on fixing a timing cover leak when potentially the engine could be on its last legs. what im thinking is getting a low mileage DEK and swapping it in. I believe most of if not all the electronics are the same, minus the intake setup, which will require some adapters and other parts. the fuel injectors also have different connectors too right? Other then that is the DEK basically a bolt on thing?

The last thing is: are timing covers common to leak, i know on my moms car, she has a 98 the timing cover started leaking on that and ended up costing her about 1 grand to fix, good thing she took it in for "fix oil leak" they thought it was the oil pan, so thats all we got charged for along with a few others things. The techs at my work say timing covers are common on 4th gens, but they also said valve covers are common to leak. any truth to that?

also how many of you have noisy injectors? Mine have been loud since i got the car, but lately seem to have gotten louder.

sorry for the long post, but just thought id get everything into one.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Wild for Width

Holy ramblings!

All I can say is that everyone that gets a 4th gen and starts opening the hood thinks their injectors are so loud. They have a clicking that is more audible that some other cars (and less than some) so I doubt there is a problem. You could be hearing some timing chain rattle as well.

From the sounds of it you do not know exactly where the leak is coming from, I would work on that 1st before planning on tossing the whole engine. There is a good bit of DEK info in the all-motor forum. In your sig I see that 00VI is planned, for the $3-400 you would spend on that you can get your hands on a DEK from car-part.com and then just get the necessary adapters.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 PM

lol yeah sorry about rambling. I will agree with you that the injectors on the 4th gen are loud compared to the other cars ive heard. It doenst bother me, im not sure if its just me or they did get louder. The leak im still trying to determine exactly where it is coming from. It could be from several places. thanks!