Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   control arm bushings and rack & pinion bracket bushings (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/382151-control-arm-bushings-rack-pinion-bracket-bushings.html)

Olezhka 01-30-2007 12:46 PM

control arm bushings and rack & pinion bracket bushings

I just installed my tokico suspension yesterday and went to get an alignment today, but they told e that they can't do it until I replace the Rack & pipion bracket bushings and the lower control arms bushings.

Where can I get these parts cheap and can I do this myself?
they also told me not to get just the control arm bushings, but to get the whole arm because it will last much longer. Is that true?

f550maranello2 01-30-2007 01:14 PM

i would get a new control arm and call it a day because replacing those bushings is a pain in the ***... they are expensive though... i would go to the dealer and get them...

buzpuck11 01-30-2007 02:30 PM

Control arms with new bushings and ball joints are on ebay.

f550maranello2 01-30-2007 02:39 PM

yea and they are CRAP dont buy them!!!!

Gismo-T 01-30-2007 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by buzpuck11
Control arms with new bushings and ball joints are on ebay.

e-bay ball joints & bushings are garbage! Many members have had problems with them. I'f your going to get control arms, get them from World Parts Express..... genuine Nissan parts. Much cheaper than the stealership!

f550maranello2 01-30-2007 02:51 PM

^^^^ Werd.. cheapest place to get them...

buzpuck11 01-30-2007 02:55 PM

How about rockauto.com control arms? Do any of these ones not on ebay come with ball joints too?

Maxima_Joe 01-30-2007 02:57 PM

I would just replace the lca bushings with es bushings and moog ball joints while your at it.
I don't see why people think the bushings are difficult to change.I have done 3 pairs of arms and it wasn't difficult at all.

Gismo-T 01-30-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by fanaticrockford
I would just replace the lca bushings with es bushings and moog ball joints while your at it.
I don't see why people think the bushings are difficult to change.I have done 3 pairs of arms and it wasn't difficult at all.

Not saying it's difficult, some people would rather just swap them out.
Which reminds me :idea: , still have to do mine.

Olezhka 01-30-2007 03:48 PM

k well now I know where to get the parts, but i dont really know how to actually replace them.
does anyone have a how-to.
for the control arms and also the rack and pinion bracket bushings <--- this is the one I need to replace the m.st

dgeesaman 01-30-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Olezhka
I just installed my tokico suspension yesterday and went to get an alignment today, but they told e that they can't do it until I replace the Rack & pipion bracket bushings and the lower control arms bushings.

If those bushings are actually shot, then I agree.

Where can I get these parts cheap and can I do this myself?
The bushings are available seperately in urethane for cheap, but installing them is a major pain. Installing a new balljoint is easy, so if you go this route make sure a new balljoint is put in too.

they also told me not to get just the control arm bushings, but to get the whole arm because it will last much longer. Is that true?
Well you do get the balljoint with the arm. I don't think buying the whole arem will necessarily last longer, but it will be a lot easier and more comfortable. Urethane bushings need to be greased, and mine squeaked and popped not long after installation when the grease got pushed out. I recently switched to a new pair of OEM control arms and the ride is the same but the noises are gone. Wish I hadn't screwed around with the urethane stuff.

I suspect this shop is taking you for a little ride. Both of these components can fail in practice, but I suggest that they set the alignment close and you go get a second opinion. They could easily rack up a load of labor and parts on this job, and I worry they are trying to do just that.

Dave

Olezhka 01-31-2007 01:55 AM

I don't think that they are "taking me for a ride" because they told me to go get them replaced somewhere else and come back for the alignment.
Also, for our cars do we need to get all 4 wheels aligned or just the 2 front?

maxprivate 01-31-2007 05:10 AM

I don't think that they are "taking me for a ride" because they told me to go get them replaced somewhere else and come back for the alignment.

its just the front two.there is no adjustments to be made in the rear for our car.

f550maranello2 01-31-2007 09:06 AM

there can be but it requires shims and nobody wants to mess with it...

dgeesaman 01-31-2007 09:14 AM

Sounds like they are giving good advice then. These parts do wear out, although most of the time a shop won't tell you to replace both bushings and both control arms. But it's a wise maintenance investment.

The steering rack bushings are a pain to replace because you have to lower the y-pipe to get to the rack bracket bolts. Changing these bushings isn't too hard if you're a DIY'er. Just lower the front end of the y-pipe, remove the heat shield on the passenger side bracket, and match mark the location of the rack against the firewall or something. Then take off the brackets and and slide off the old bushings, slide on the new ones. Line it up to the match marks and reassemble.

The control arms aren't too hard either, but I strongly recommend buying a pair from Nissan directly if you don't go the whole urethane bushing route. $150/ea from www.worldpartsexpress.com. This one is also DIY but requires a hefty impact wrench. A shop should be able to change both in about an hour.

I'll bet when it's all done it will handle like a whole different car.

Dave

Olezhka 01-31-2007 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot Dave, thats what I needed to know.

buzpuck11 01-31-2007 01:47 PM

Do the control arms from worldpartsexpress come with ball joints? If they don't do you have to get new ball joints pressed into the lca?

dgeesaman 01-31-2007 02:28 PM

Yes, the OEM control arms all come with balljoints in them.

njmaxseltd 02-01-2007 05:38 AM

A four wheel thrust angle alignment is the correct way to align a car.
Indeed there are no adjustments in the rear, but the front end must be aligned to the rear (thrust angle) to assure straight tracking and a perfectly centered steering wheel.
It's also nice to see the rear tracking numbers to be sure it's within spec as well.

Olezhka 02-04-2007 02:51 PM

so the rack and pinion bracket bushings are called steering rack bushings?
Where can I get these? I can't find them anywhere

pmohr 02-04-2007 05:36 PM

Hunter shows no rear adjustments, shims or not (three different software revisions, too). Toe and camber only adjustable by bending the beam, caster is set permanently.

BORQUA79 03-15-2007 05:41 PM

I have the same problem with my car. I also went to get an alignment and it wasnt perfect but close... The machanic told me that I needed the rack bushings as well. I saw that it was all braking apart. Both of my CV Boots we ripped so he said that I needed both axles replaced. He said that since I was there might as well replace my lower control arms also??? Thats 1200 in parts alone...
But would ripped boots mean that I need new axles????

buzpuck11 03-15-2007 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BORQUA79
I have the same problem with my car. I also went to get an alignment and it wasnt perfect but close... The machanic told me that I needed the rack bushings as well. I saw that it was all braking apart. Both of my CV Boots we ripped so he said that I needed both axles replaced. He said that since I was there might as well replace my lower control arms also??? Thats 1200 in parts alone...
But would ripped boots mean that I need new axles????

Most of the time torn boots mean its time for new axles, unless they JUST tore recently and the grease is still intact, then you can get new boots and repack the grease. Otherwise, the grease spins out, dirt and pebbles get in the boot and mix with the grease and wear out the joints like sandpaper with every rotation.

BORQUA79 03-16-2007 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by buzpuck11
Most of the time torn boots mean its time for new axles, unless they JUST tore recently and the grease is still intact, then you can get new boots and repack the grease. Otherwise, the grease spins out, dirt and pebbles get in the boot and mix with the grease and wear out the joints like sandpaper with every rotation.

I see... I guess its about time?? 140,000 miles I am quoted at $1000 for the job
replace both axles, both lower control arms and rack bushing... Is that a good price?