4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headers and y- pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Headers and y- pipe ?

Im thinking about getting headers and a y-pipe what would be a good combo ?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd just go with a Budget or Cattmann y-pipe and forget the headers, there's nothing really wrong with the stock headers and not much power to be gained.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 PM

i absolutely disagree. i went from a Cattman y-pipe back to stock for an upcoming smog check and felt little to no power decrease. i sold the y and just installed a header. i'm making more power that you can feel all over the place (low,mid, & high range).
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM

I know headers are not much of a gain but when you advance timing thats a different story.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:20 PM

oh and forget i dont want to spend that much on it. I saw stone mountain racing headers for under 300 on ebay.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 305BlackMax97
oh and forget i dont want to spend that much on it. I saw stone mountain racing headers for under 300 on ebay.
dude, there's only two companies that sell real headers for our car, Cattman & Hotshot. the rest are crap. if you're going the ebay route, just buy a y-pipe. i'm gonna check the stickies but i believe the common power increase from a y-pipe is around 10 whp. a real header is around 20 whp. exceptions are out there, but those are common numbers.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jac121479
i absolutely disagree. i went from a Cattman y-pipe back to stock for an upcoming smog check and felt little to no power decrease. i sold the y and just installed a header. i'm making more power that you can feel all over the place (low,mid, & high range).

im sorry but untill i see dyno proof i dont agree with you. So you are running stock y-pipe and aftermarket header? IF you are running full headers which go all the way to the cat then yes you are most likely making more power over the whole rpm range over the just y-pipe. But if you claim you are making more power with just header and stock y-pipe then im going to have to question that.

Honestly to the OP If you are on a tight budget just get a y-pipe (budget, warpspeed, cattman) there all pretty much the same in design, quality is better obviously on the cattman but you also pay more. The budget and warpspeed quality seems to be hit and miss occasionaly. Ive had no problems with my warpspeed, and i know most people dont but some people do. Ive heard the same with budget.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
im sorry but untill i see dyno proof i dont agree with you. So you are running stock y-pipe and aftermarket header? IF you are running full headers which go all the way to the cat then yes you are most likely making more power over the whole rpm range over the just y-pipe. But if you claim you are making more power with just header and stock y-pipe then im going to have to question that.
He does have a 99, and its probably cali spec like a lot of them are, so his precat(s) are/is on the header(s). Either way though, if he got headers and y pipe, the increase would be more than just headers, thats pretty much guaranteed.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:43 PM

how much is hotshot headers and y pipe ?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 PM

It's because of the precats in the headers on your 99. All other years feel a MUCH bigger increase from the y-pipe than from headers.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 PM

ohhhh okay, i retract my original post. For some reason i was under the assumption that he had a 95..maybe it was because i was looking at Wassup2114 sig.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 AM

if your car is cali spec get the headers you'll feel the gains if its fed spec stick with the y pipe and your good
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 AM

im fed spec not cali
Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 AM

can we seriously get some paper proof that says headers does increase power all around... cause its such a splitted debate
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM

i am cali spec and i have Cattman headers. my friend with a 98 went from a stock y to a budget y-pipe. i helped with the install and i rode with him afterwards to make sure the car felt right. no problems were noted, and though there was a power increase up top and a louder exhaust note, it was nothing compared to what i felt immediately after installing the header. just my two cents.

as far as stone racing, not highly recommended by org members. those shorty headers are probably not worth the pain involved with the install. just get a y-pipe if you on a budget.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Addicted to the Org

96blk, not to interupt this thread, but when you were saying on the budget and warpspeed y pipe, they have been hit and miss. What do you mean by that. I'll be purchasing a warpspeed y in the next week or so
Old 02-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
96blk, not to interupt this thread, but when you were saying on the budget and warpspeed y pipe, they have been hit and miss. What do you mean by that. I'll be purchasing a warpspeed y in the next week or so
Depending on the pipe you actually get some have issues. People have issues with both pipes. More oftn problems with warpspeed because it has the bees in the can sound. Cattman headers are the best but don't offer any goods gains. There is no proof on them. Technically there really isnt any dyno proof on y pipes on most cars but o'well.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Technically there really isnt any dyno proof on y pipes on most cars but o'well.

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/504
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Cattman headers are the best but don't offer any goods gains. There is no proof on them.
WHAT??? don't offer any good gains??? this thread is gettin crazy. Cdg, you've obviously already made up your mind so nevermind what i say.

as for the rest of you, to believe that these headers don't offer any good gains is down right ridiculous! last saturday i installed my own headers. before the install i drove for seventy miles that day to get a good feel for the throttle response, launching, and acceleration before the install. after the install the car was not the same. i could not launch the same as i usually do because wheel spin would take over. redline came on in each gear (except 5thcause that's goin too fast for me) much faster requiring more attention to keep from redliningprior to shifts, and throttle response has felt better than ever before. i don't work for Cattman so advertising for his is not in my interest, and after spending over $800 on this thing, if it didn't work, i wouldn't talk this good about it. i have personally installed and ridden in a 98 max both before and after a y-pipe install. no doubt about it the car felt improved. the improvement felt after this header install is greater by far. no i don't have a dyno. if you need dyno proof before you buy your part, keep waiting. without a dyno or your own behind the wheel experience, don't believe comments as bold as "these headers are the best but don't offer any goods gains". that's just cazy.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wassup2114
his first dyno seems to be on the extreme conservative side. the second seems right on for his mods. the dynoes were also two years apart.

here you can find a dyno on the first gen header...
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=70
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

There is proof on Cattman headers. Those who have the proof haven't posted about it as much as they should have.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 AM

WHAT??? don't offer any good gains??? this thread is gettin crazy. Cdg, you've obviously already made up your mind so nevermind what i say.

as for the rest of you, to believe that these headers don't offer any good gains is down right ridiculous! last saturday i installed my own headers. before the install i drove for seventy miles that day to get a good feel for the throttle response, launching, and acceleration before the install. after the install the car was not the same. i could not launch the same as i usually do because wheel spin would take over. redline came on in each gear (except 5thcause that's goin too fast for me) much faster requiring more attention to keep from redliningprior to shifts, and throttle response has felt better than ever before. i don't work for Cattman so advertising for his is not in my interest, and after spending over $800 on this thing, if it didn't work, i wouldn't talk this good about it. i have personally installed and ridden in a 98 max both before and after a y-pipe install. no doubt about it the car felt improved. the improvement felt after this header install is greater by far. no i don't have a dyno. if you need dyno proof before you buy your part, keep waiting. without a dyno or your own behind the wheel experience, don't believe comments as bold as "these headers are the best but don't offer any goods gains". that's just cazy.
You have a 99 Cali spec, as I already said. The 99's had precats in the headers, and that's the reason headers freed up a lot of horsepower for you... For a fed spec 95-99, headers are NOT worth the high price tag.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
There is proof on Cattman headers. Those who have the proof haven't posted about it as much as they should have.
That's what I meant. I didn't get to post it all cause my class ended and I got kicked out of the room. I meant that proof has not been given on the org as much as it could. I don't remember ever seeing someone actual post before and after of adding a y pipe or headers. jac121479 I've seen that dyno before and I agree with Wassup on the headers. Also, your all argument is off of a butt dyno. Exactly my point. Anyone can say that they felt more power. You're going to think that way. How many people have posted on here about adding an injen intake and feeling better power? Too many. Since it's a butt dyno and they don't understand that injen only gives up top power they say they gained power everywhere. All I really meant was that until I see significant proof from more than one car, I won't drop $1k on headers.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 AM

All I really meant was that until I see significant proof from more than one car, I won't drop $1k on headers.
understandable. i agree with you 100% on the injen comment. you can't trust every org member you come across. that's why i decided to gamble a bit and check these headers out for myself. i feel as though i won big, but i'm just another org member. do what you need to do to find out whether it's worth the cash or not. just don't bash it till you know for sure...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Addicted to the Org

Depending on the pipe you actually get some have issues. People have issues with both pipes. More oftn problems with warpspeed because it has the bees in the can sound. Cattman headers are the best but don't offer any goods gains. There is no proof on them. Technically there really isnt any dyno proof on y pipes on most cars but o'well.

So even though Warpspeed advertises the (No Bees in the can sound) they still have it? If so, then i'd wanna prob go with Budget right? I called Budget back last month and they were backordered. She called me back yesterday and told me that they would still honor their price of 200 canadian for the stainless, if i was still interested. I might take them up on that. What you guys think
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wassup2114
You have a 99 Cali spec, as I already said. The 99's had precats in the headers, and that's the reason headers freed up a lot of horsepower for you... For a fed spec 95-99, headers are NOT worth the high price tag.
if your just saying a fed spec y makes more power than a cali spec y, i agree. the spread for y-pipes is normally 8-12 whp. lets say cali specs take the 8 and fed specs take the 12. either way none of those number compare to the numbers these headers put out (18-22), but because theres no recent dyno this is all speculation.

what i'm saying is i went from a stock y to a header with a huge gain. i'm sure a fed spec would feel just as much of a gain if not more (no butterfly valves in feds).

since we're dealing with Cattman only, lets look at the numbers. a Cattman y costs $350 and delivers a solid 12 hp. for another $450 you nearly double your output assuming these do deliver a good 20+ hp. i personally see value there, but thats just me...
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by maximized98
So even though Warpspeed advertises the (No Bees in the can sound) they still have it? If so, then i'd wanna prob go with Budget right? I called Budget back last month and they were backordered. She called me back yesterday and told me that they would still honor their price of 200 canadian for the stainless, if i was still interested. I might take them up on that. What you guys think
if you're just buying a y-pipe, go for it. my friend bought a budget and he had no issues. lots of org members run these as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Addicted to the Org

thanks, i've decided on the budget. The two or three times i've talked to them, they seem like they are really good, honest people
Old 02-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Ive debated this along time myself and the people who say theres no power gain and blah blah blah,its bull****.Brian hisself tested this.On top of all that,why would people pay so much and talk so good about the product if its just a bunch of ****,theres a reason for people continuously buying cattman headers and other parts from Brian.The reason is simple.The product is build right and made with quality,made to do exactly what it was made to do and thats increase overall power of the car.I'm personally buying some as soon as i fix a few little set back on my car.For all the members that say theres no proof,well there is heres the link.http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=72 Enjoy
Old 02-06-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 96MaximuzGXE
Ive debated this along time myself and the people who say theres no power gain and blah blah blah,its bull****.Brian hisself tested this.On top of all that,why would people pay so much and talk so good about the product if its just a bunch of ****,theres a reason for people continuously buying cattman headers and other parts from Brian.The reason is simple.The product is build right and made with quality,made to do exactly what it was made to do and thats increase overall power of the car.I'm personally buying some as soon as i fix a few little set back on my car.For all the members that say theres no proof,well there is heres the link.http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=72 Enjoy
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM

yeah again...things we've already seen. It's one car. You're ready to drop over $1k on one car? So be it. But people that don't have that kinda cash arn't going to lay down the money. Yes they are built better so they will offer gains. But from the guys I've talked to on here in all motor and track there cars all the time, they didnt feel as tho new headers offer a big upgrade without having a lot of other stuff done to the car. This is pointless since the argument can go on forever. People that bought them argue for them, and people that don't have them argue against it. It's all opinion and car based in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Not to argue with anyone, was looking into purchasing the Stone Racing headers (off a recommendation by a friend who already has them on his 97 GLE) and I found this review on them from VQPower.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...article&sid=88

Not to say that it proves any point, but if that dyno is true, it does add a little extra kick (seems only really power gain is around 5500 rpm, but even at 3000 you're getting something.)
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by pho3nix
Not to argue with anyone, was looking into purchasing the Stone Racing headers (off a recommendation by a friend who already has them on his 97 GLE) and I found this review on them from VQPower.

Not to say that it proves any point, but if that dyno is true, it does add a little extra kick (seems only really power gain is around 5500 rpm, but even at 3000 you're getting something.)
Thats the same thing i saw and thats why i was wanting to get them. plus the price is not bad. And those headers weight less then the stock ones.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Im just saying for all the people who argueed there was so power gain.Well theres def a power gain.Now its up to you if you feel your car deserves a gran or more in performance parts its really how far you wanna go with your performance.Personally im looking for the most power possible,yes it takes time to get there and get all the money but look at it this way,just tihnk how amazing your car will be then.If your only wanting a little kick for little money well as little as you can get i suggest a cai,y-pipe,exhaust.Youll get respectable gains and love the feel of your car,Also you could throw in a UDP,for an extra couple bucks to help enhance it all.you could probally do it for about the same price as cattman headers and y pipe.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by pho3nix

That dyno is for the headers AND y-pipe. The gains there are pretty consistent with what a y-pipe gives you, telling me that the headers did little or nothing in the way of extra power.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Im just saying for all the people who argueed there was so power gain.Well theres def a power gain.Now its up to you if you feel your car deserves a gran or more in performance parts its really how far you wanna go with your performance.Personally im looking for the most power possible,yes it takes time to get there and get all the money but look at it this way,just tihnk how amazing your car will be then.If your only wanting a little kick for little money well as little as you can get i suggest a cai,y-pipe,exhaust.Youll get respectable gains and love the feel of your car,Also you could throw in a UDP,for an extra couple bucks to help enhance it all.you could probally do it for about the same price as cattman headers and y pipe.
Yeah we know what else we can put on the car we've been on the forum for a while. And as Wasssup already said, the dyno you guys are showing is exactly consistant with what the y pipe is said to give. Y-pipes are suppose to give gains of up to 20hp. So if the gained only 16hp with both y and headers....I'm not sure headers did much at all. But again, I don't see why to spend the money on them now. Maybe if I end up doing supercharge in the future I would do new headers.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 AM

There may not be a real big hp gain but there is a gain and a car thats running alot better with headers and y-pipe.Yes there maybe only so much gain from headers but its not just a hp number,its not all about that one big hp number.Its about how efficent a car runs.So the headers are worth it.Ive learned and im shure alot others have its not always how much hp a dyno tells you your making,its the way the car performance on the pavement.I suggest save up and buy them,it will enhance your car no matter what because of a better designed headers for increased and better flow.Oh and one more thing those headers like we all know sound sicky.In my opinion its well worth the time,money and effort,But hey im only giving my opinion.What you wanna do with your money is your choice.You busted your *** for it,just like i do the same for mine,its hard earned money so do with it what you really wanna do.Like i said before the parts were made for a reason to make your car perform better.Thats the whole point cattman makes headers.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

If you want to gain 20+ proven by more than one member , fwhp get headers.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 PM

thank you sir.

this thread is killin me. unsubscribing...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Dyno??

10char

Quick Reply: Headers and y- pipe ?