4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Hydraulic Line Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Clutch Hydraulic Line Problem

My clutch pedal started dropping to the floor with almost no back pressure, so I checked the fluid level in the master cyl and added as needed. the problem stayed. i r&r master cyl and slave cyl and same problem. in fact it doesnt even bleed properly. some back pressure builds up in the clutch pedal, but not enough to properly engage/disengage the clutch -- very hard to shift.

I noticed that the end of the lower hydraulic hose leaks a little bit at the point where rubber joins the metal valve bracket, which is connected to the slave cyl. I have searched online for a replacement of the lower hose, but cannot find one that is stock. Does anyone have an idea of where to look, a good website? Autozone and others don't carry this and told me to see the dealer, whom I avoid at all costs!

I also read in the sticky about pedal height adjustment, and it mentioned NOT PRELOADING THE SLAVE when doing this. I am guessing he means before bleeding at the slave? Maybe i am bleeding this all wrong? is there a sticky on hydraulic clutch lines?

Thanks guys,
Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 PM

looks like i am the only one who has ever had to replace the lower hydraulic clutch line?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 PM

so did i... u're lucky u observed it urself... here's my story...

i took it to a mechanic and he replaced my slave cylinder for me... when he was bleeding the clutch i told him that i can still hear oil squirting out of somewhere... he said it fine... just new rubbers n **** shouldn't be a problem in a day or 2, and also said that i thought u'd be smarter than this.. so i took his advice, paid him and left... next day same **** happens, all the clutch oil leaked i took it back and first he says its because i put a cheap slave cylinder in... than he says that its the pressure hose (hydraulic clutch line) which attaches to the slave cylinder... i figured right away that the $100 i spent yesterday was because of the stupid mechanics ignorance and it wasn't the slave cylinder itself leaking but it was this hose... after this incident i've always worked on the car myself...

its a dealer part so u'll only get it from Nissan and u might have to wait a day or 2 to get it, cuz they dont keep it in stock either... not too expensive... mayb $60 CDN...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i bought my lower clutch line when they had group deals going for the SS braided ones. i have an extra oem one at home in my garage, but i'm away at school.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM

well its a dealer only part in Canada... not sure about Nashvegas...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by aznsap
i bought my lower clutch line when they had group deals going for the SS braided ones. i have an extra oem one at home in my garage, but i'm away at school.
I looked on ebay and saw some SS braided aftermarket types, but how does it fit? i couldnt find a zoomed pic to see - looks like a different valve on the end (the end that would be connected to the slave cyl.) The other end of that lower hose has a square box connector to which the upper hose line connects to. is it the same with the aftermarket SS ones you got?

I also was thinking about tearing out the entire upper/lower hose line crap and replacing it with just a simple SS line. There is a bleeder valve on the slave cyl... why do i need another one at the top of the drivers side strut mount? seems like added weight.

thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 PM

not a 100% sure but i've heard someone refer to these hoses as pressure hoses... do u think the simple ss line will take the pressure? just ignore if i sound nuts....
Old 03-25-2007, 05:59 PM
SHIFT_up

there should still be a GD on the SS clutch lines. This line replaces the entire rubber hose assembly. I think technafit makes them aswell. You can't go wrong with this item, it'll solve your problem and will also change the feel of your clutch pedal slightly it becomes a little softer and you feel the clutch better.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiiMa
not a 100% sure but i've heard someone refer to these hoses as pressure hoses... do u think the simple ss line will take the pressure? just ignore if i sound nuts....
you are absolutely right. these are pressure hoses, just like brake lines... some are rubber, and some brake lines are metal tubes. on a 4th gen the rubber hose connected to the brake caliper is the same thing as this clutch line.

i think SS lines are made to handle the pressure though, to answer your question. as long as they are designed for hydraulic use.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
there should still be a GD on the SS clutch lines. This line replaces the entire rubber hose assembly. I think technafit makes them aswell. You can't go wrong with this item, it'll solve your problem and will also change the feel of your clutch pedal slightly it becomes a little softer and you feel the clutch better.
dealer: $71.55

techna-fit doesn't have lower line on their website, only upper hose.

GD: no response yet.

I am wondering if there is a regular brake line with same connectors, so i wouldnt have to wait and order right away. has anyone tried?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Other way around. The Techna-Fit replaces the lower hose. The upper hose is supposed to be all hard lines.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM

yes, i believe there are two lower hoses. both flexi rubber. both somewhat short. i am guessing both of these are replaced with the SS line.

but on their site they said upper hose only. The upper lines are metal tubes like brake lines, coming from master cyl. So i thought maybe they meant the upper of the lower two hoses, which is not what i need. after all they are a professional business, they cant make a mistake, right?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i found these two hoses at the dealer for like 30-40 bucks about a year ago?... they're not that expensive..
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by MaximA VlaD
after all they are a professional business, they cant make a mistake, right?
If only that were true.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i found these two hoses at the dealer for like 30-40 bucks about a year ago?... they're not that expensive..
you're in cali, lucky! the local dealership has the lower hose for $71.

I just found a dealership 20 mins away that sells it for $52.08. Still kind of steep if you ask me, but thats the lowest price i could find in this region.

PS: i want to move to cali!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My clutch pedal was stuck and I could not pop this thing out.
It happened every 3 or 4 days... dealer replaced both master & slave cyl and it was ok for a few days and same problem.
I carefully looked at the clutch pedal assebly and I've noticed that my pedal is very stiff...
I put some grease on the back of the pedal (pump looking area) and never had a problem since...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Sold

send a33 vq30dek a pm. he sells the technafit lines that replace the whole line assembly for the clutch. Stock metal line and the rubber line. He's selling them in the gerenal f/s section.
here's the link
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=495119
top notch guy and the product is flawless.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 PM

i am stuck!!!

i replaced the master and the slave. and the lower slave hose line. it all seems to be fine, but i can't get the pedal to be where it is supposed to be!! the pressure is only felt closer to the floor.

i read motorvate's post: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/803
over and over again... it says to keep bleeding, but there is no air coming out anymore at either valve! yet still no proper pedal pressure!

so if anyone had done this and knows how to get it to work right please let me know, thanks!

ps: i also tried adjusting the master cylinder piston rod on the clutch pedal... it is almost as far out as it can be, and it is not how it was before.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 AM

is there a chance that air pockets are in the lines and are not coming out with the bleeding? i have bled it for hours.. and replaced slave and master twice.