4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Emergency brake line cut!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 04:39 PM

I got under my car to check on my exhaust b/c it was rattling and noticed something a bit troublesome. The emergency brake cable is housed in some THICK rubber and was resting on a apart of the suspension. I guess over time that rubber had worn on the suspension and has cut through the rubber and almost down to the cable itself. I am curious if I can just put some new rubber over it and move it out of the way of the suspension. Or do I need to replace the whole damn line? It isn't cut in half at all, but it concerns me. I am about to make a 2500 mile trip this weekend and into next week. Since its just the emergency brake and not the hydraulic brake line I think that I will wrap some rubber over the line and move it away from the suspension and be done with it....what do you guys think?

Thanks,
SHUMAX
Old 07-09-2001, 05:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

First, find out what is causing the rubbing. Something is not in spec. Take a piece of of curved metal and attach it to the rubber over the exposed cable.

Dave
Old 07-09-2001, 06:05 PM

hmmm

I agree with you. I am not sure what the heck it could be. I have never replaced or adjusted the Ebrake. I have replaced the rear pads and had no REAL problems other than compressing the rear caliper--but got it done. Anyway, I think that I will go ahead and place a new piece of rubber over the exposed area and try to reroute it off of the suspension piece. Maybe I will take a pic tomorrow and post it here for more help.

Thanks for your suggestion!

SHUMAX
Old 07-09-2001, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by shumax
I got under my car to check on my exhaust b/c it was rattling and noticed something a bit troublesome. The emergency brake cable is housed in some THICK rubber and was resting on a apart of the suspension. I guess over time that rubber had worn on the suspension and has cut through the rubber and almost down to the cable itself. I am curious if I can just put some new rubber over it and move it out of the way of the suspension. Or do I need to replace the whole damn line? It isn't cut in half at all, but it concerns me. I am about to make a 2500 mile trip this weekend and into next week. Since its just the emergency brake and not the hydraulic brake line I think that I will wrap some rubber over the line and move it away from the suspension and be done with it....what do you guys think?

Thanks,
SHUMAX
This is not a serious problem. Get a short scrap length of heater hose. Use a sharp utility knife to slice the hose lengthwise. Slip it over the damaged area. Use nylon cable ties or 100 wraps of black plastic electrician's tape to hold it in place. No need to relocate this cable.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:37 AM

Hehe... if this is a 5sp, make sure you park with the car in gear just in case!

-V
Old 07-10-2001, 04:44 AM

?

Well I am going to wrap some hose that I had left from the tranny cooler install. I got under the car this morning to take another look and nothing appears to be out of spec at all. In fact the other side is the EXACT same but has just enough play to get out of the way of the suspension travel...but not much at all. I am going to wrap it as well so as to avoid the trouble in the future.

Thanks again!

SHUMAX
Old 07-10-2001, 08:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have a 95Max and after just the first year, went to the dealer to have my E brake adjusted. Dealer sayed the line was cut and replaced it. No problems since...
Old 07-10-2001, 08:33 AM

Hmmmm

You and I need to meet up. You are in Ohio, Cleveland as best I can tell. I live south of you off of 71 near Medina. I get to Cleveland from time to time. Ever go to the Sat. night car shows in Brunswick? Mad inports,domestics and classics. I won't be there for two weeks; going on vacation. Email me...we should meet up and check cars out!

SHUMAX