4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima Does 0-60 in 6.8 Sec. Stock.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 10:30 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Ive Got a 95' Max SE. Only Performace mod so far is a cone air intake filter...anyways, I've always heard that the Stock Maxima (95-99) AUTOMATIC does 0-60 in 6.8 ! And the Manual in 6.5. Now I come to Maxima.org forums and everyone is saying the stocks do like 7-8 seconds ?!?!?!? What the...Ive always thought the Max was faster than that !??

BTW, I hear adding Premium Gas (92 OCtane or higher) adds like 10 HP. ??
Old 07-10-2001, 11:43 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Sorry dude.

The 4th gen auto max does run 0-60 in the 7-8 second range...always has. I've never seen a stock auto tested to run it less than 7.

You should be using premium gas anyway, that's what it says in your owners manual. I wouldnt say that using premium "adds" power, but if your not using it, you're certainly "losing" power.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:30 PM

Taking on a Standard Mustang

ahh that sucks. Yea that's true. Hey If anyone knows, ive always wondered...How can a max handle a mustang ? Im talkin about the standard v-6 that you see EVERYWHERE. My friend has one and the speedometer only goes up to 120mph. I'm wonderin if a 4th generation maxima can handle 95-02 standard engine 'stangs ? I've always had a mis-perception of maxima's and thought they could handle ALOT of cars...especially this one. ?
Old 07-10-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: Taking on a Standard Mustang

Originally posted by Craig Mack
ahh that sucks. Yea that's true. Hey If anyone knows, ive always wondered...How can a max handle a mustang ? Im talkin about the standard v-6 that you see EVERYWHERE. My friend has one and the speedometer only goes up to 120mph. I'm wonderin if a 4th generation maxima can handle 95-02 standard engine 'stangs ? I've always had a mis-perception of maxima's and thought they could handle ALOT of cars...especially this one. ?
Any max from 95-01 can handle a V-6 stang no problem...What the speedometer goes up to has NOTHING to do with how fast a car is. A Buick Grand National's speedo goes up to like 85....but those cars haul a$$, and the top out A LOT higher than 85.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Taking on a Standard Mustang

Yea bro. I know. Just like saying "well this car has 259hp it could kill your maxima!" and the car is a suburban. ...well no ones that dumb but you get the point.

Thanks,

Layta.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:04 PM

Craig: Is that your real name: Craig Mack? Just curious. nm

nm
Old 07-10-2001, 01:07 PM

Re: Craig: Is that your real name: Craig Mack? Just curious. nm

Haha. Nah that would be cool tho. My First name IS craig tho.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Ive Got a 95' Max SE. Only Performace mod so far is a cone air intake filter...anyways, I've always heard that the Stock Maxima (95-99) AUTOMATIC does 0-60 in 6.8 ! And the Manual in 6.5. Now I come to Maxima.org forums and everyone is saying the stocks do like 7-8 seconds ?!?!?!? What the...Ive always thought the Max was faster than that !??

BTW, I hear adding Premium Gas (92 OCtane or higher) adds like 10 HP. ??
It is around 7-8 seconds for a stock automatic. Adding super doesn't really give more power. Well it might, but I can't feel it. Try filling up with super and then regular and then do some 0-60 runs. I bet you will not notice any difference. You can use whichever gas in your Maxima though, as neither will harm the engine.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:21 PM

I used 92 octane for about 4-5 months, then I switched to 89 and have been using it for at least 1-2 months with absolutely NO difference in performance, and I still get about the same mileage on the highway, about 30mpg...
Old 07-10-2001, 01:28 PM

Cant using less than 92 harm ure engine? The manual wouldnt say that for no reason would it? BTW what kind of mileage do u guys get with 4th gen manual maxs? The manual reccomends shifting at like 2.5 rpm which gives u virtually no pickup, but when u shift later than 3 it burns gas like a mother****er= what do u guys do?
Old 07-10-2001, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by JamesAvery
Cant using less than 92 harm ure engine? The manual wouldnt say that for no reason would it? BTW what kind of mileage do u guys get with 4th gen manual maxs? The manual reccomends shifting at like 2.5 rpm which gives u virtually no pickup, but when u shift later than 3 it burns gas like a mother****er= what do u guys do?
In the city I'll average about 24mpg, I'll usually shift before 3k, highway I'll get 29-30 no problem...
Old 07-10-2001, 05:42 PM

The owners manual does not say that using less than 91 octane will harm the engine. In fact, I'm sure out of the thousands of people registered on this site, a lot of them of use regular and have had no problems whatsoever. Using premium is a personal choice, and if you feel the extra pep, then good for you. If you don't, then it's not worth the difference in cost. Super doesn't have more detergents than regular, and it won't protect the engine any better than regular.
Old 07-10-2001, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You will notice your valves making noises though when hitting the gas hard is you use 89 for a while. I just did the opossite of what you did and I feel the difference.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: 7.6 Seconds...

Well, I don't know where you heard it was 6.8, but its defintely not true. The stock automatic 4th generation Maxima pulls of a 7.6 second 0-60. This is what Nissan, Motor Trend, and Road and Track all advertised during the 1994-1999 period (1994 = preseason). That may not be exceedingly fast to you, but you must consider that it is a full size 4-door sedan, and can out-handle (the most important aspect) all of its competitors. Don't forget that the car has HUNDREDS of mods available as compared to other cars (excluding Civics), including a supercharger that will boost you past where you thought it was. The 6.8 you read about must have been a 5-speed, because that is right about on par. Just trying to help.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:54 PM

Interesting reading...

http://www.off-road.com/rick/gas-tech_part1.html
http://www.off-road.com/rick/gas2/
Old 07-10-2001, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor

well a 5spd Max running perfectly with maybe a few mods i'm pretty sure can hang with the pre 94 5.0s and the 94-96s pre 4.6s GTs... I mean yea theres alota people on this board who have beat GTs, but maybe the drivers sucked...it kinda goes like this 0-60 in 6.6 for a Max, 0-60 in 6.7 for the 94-96 GTs... all i know is that some GTs are fair game
and with fuel? when i drive reasonably I use 89 well for like a week haha, i havent had any problems... and with gas prices hitting $2.30 for premium... it doesnt seem so bad...
97-89-91 gases there are alot of rumors and marketing ploys that try to make you buy the higher octane... simply said if your car doesnt ping and runs fine you dont need the higher octane, i've never heard of 89 being less clean than 91...
Old 07-10-2001, 11:45 PM

About the gas...

I've switched to basic pump unleaded 87 octane since my company won't foot the bill for premium anymore, gone about 12k miles on it since April ( I drive about 1000 miles/week)...NO problems whatsoever...and no noticable performance loss in my opinion. It will still go ~140mph w/ 87 octane, and can still pull on the v-6 accords or Camrys...
Old 07-11-2001, 12:35 AM

Gas. Read the manual. I believe it recommends 91 octane fuel. That's preimium in most places. However, it states that lower quality fuels will not harm the engine. Octane is the measure of how resistant a fuel is to detonation.

The Maxima VQ runs a fairly high compression ratio, which increases the possibility of knock. If you notice, Honda V6 require a lower octane grade fuel, but then again, they run lower compression. Higher compression typically means more power.

Many companies have employed the use of knock sensors. These are little 'microphone' like devices attached to the engine block that sense detonation. In the Maxima, timing in the engine is optimized for the higher octane 'premium' fuel. However, when the engine senses knock, it will attempt to correct the condition. Most ECU's in cars retard timing. Keep in mind that a trick in some cars and performance ECU's to get more power is to ADVANCE timing in their cars to get more power, so retarding the timing can change the power characterisitcs of the car depending on how much timing is retarded.

We're probably talking several horsepower here, maybe 2-3 at the wheel, so it's not a big difference, and probably something that you're not going to feel from the seat of the pants.

I just don't understand why people would spend the money on a flagship car, spend the money on stereo systems, clear corners, body kits, exhaust, intakes, y-pipes, etc... only to cheap out on the gas. If you wanted to fill up regular, maybe an Accord, Civic, Taurus, or Camry 4cyl might have been a better choice, since they get better gas mileage and do recommend regular fuel. Remember, you gotta pay to play.

BTW, why add intakes, y-pipes, exhaust, etc... to get more power and then counteract it with power robbing detonation?

Just my opinions.

-V
Old 07-11-2001, 03:48 AM

haha talking about gas

just noticed the 76 near my house no longer has 92, 89 or 87 gas. Now its 86.5, 88.5, and 91.5. Just thought that was pretty funny. Cause every other station i've been to always has the standard. Look at what people do to try to get a few cents out of each customer.

PB