4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Someone stole my spoiler:

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 08:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had just gotten off work around 5:00. My car was parked all day in the parking lot at my work and someone ripped off my spoiler. They scratched up my paint as well and now my car looks like $hit! This is very frustrating. Why are there so many selfish people in this world? They don't care how they affect other people. No one even saw or heard anything. I reported it to the police, but all they could give me was a useless case number. Anyone know replacement costs? Thanks for reading.....I had to vent.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:51 PM

What about insurance? they should cover it.....unless you only have liability...which IMHO is the stupidest thing anyone could do...because it seems like anymore these days you absolutetly have to have full coverage just to protect you own $hit from inconsiderate little ****** like that....and even if insurance does cover it...it still sucks cuz it's just a pain in the @ss to get it all fixed...
I feel for ya man....That sucks!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by MAXINXS
I had just gotten off work around 5:00. My car was parked all day in the parking lot at my work and someone ripped off my spoiler. They scratched up my paint as well and now my car looks like $hit! This is very frustrating. Why are there so many selfish people in this world? They don't care how they affect other people. No one even saw or heard anything. I reported it to the police, but all they could give me was a useless case number. Anyone know replacement costs? Thanks for reading.....I had to vent.
man you can search on carparts junk yard locator and look up for same color wrecked maxima and buy from it rear dor with spoiler on it. thats how my friend did, and paid 100 bucks for whole package.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:10 PM

damn man. i hope we could live in a utopia where there were no ignorant stealin a*s ppl. spoiler huh? i got an aftermarket one. paid like 275 painted and installed. good luck. btw, where are you located?
Old 07-10-2001, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Stolen Spoiler...

Firstly, let me say that really sucks. To be honest with you though, I think you are gonna have to buy a new one and get it painted. www.spoilersetc.net is $155, but I once found a place for $109. I'll see if I can find the place and get it to you. this is the kind of stuff that makes me want to save up and buy a cheap car so my maxima doesn't get screwed up. just trying to help. try maaco for a trunk paintjob - they will probably be the cheapest.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:37 PM

RE: Cheap Spoiler...

I found that site with the replacement for $109 + shipping. Thats the cheapest you are gonna find for a lighted one. It comes unpainted of course, and it looks just like the original. Here's the link: http://www.spoilers4less.com/max19facrepl.html . Just trying to help.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:57 PM

Full coverage

Originally posted by pawn
What about insurance? they should cover it.....unless you only have liability...which IMHO is the stupidest thing anyone could do...because it seems like anymore these days you absolutetly have to have full coverage just to protect you own $hit from inconsiderate little ****** like that....and even if insurance does cover it...it still sucks cuz it's just a pain in the @ss to get it all fixed...
when you factor in insurance premiums and deductible, it actually does NOT make sense getting full coverage. The only exceptions are the cases where you eather have a new car and are afraid it'll be stolen, or you want to cover your a$$ in case the accident is your fault.
Generally though, watch out for phrases like "stupidest", even if it's your IMHO...

Later
Old 07-10-2001, 10:04 PM

actually NO....for example....let's say that i am some punk that decides to key your whole car.....oops....Now what....you gonna have to get it painted right....now most people probably have a $250 deductable....now would you rather pay the $250 or however much it would cost to repair the damage that was done....i would much rather pay the deductable than the whole thing....and it's not like your rates will go up w/ a claim like that...becuase that is why you make those god awful payments each month...that's the whole point of insurance....
Old 07-11-2001, 12:41 AM

Re: Full coverage

Originally posted by Roman-dude

when you factor in insurance premiums and deductible, it actually does NOT make sense getting full coverage. The only exceptions are the cases where you eather have a new car and are afraid it'll be stolen, or you want to cover your a$$ in case the accident is your fault.
Generally though, watch out for phrases like "stupidest", even if it's your IMHO...

Later
Sorry to hear about your loss... someone on the org showed me some sites that you could look at for parts. Someone already mentioned www.carparts.com but another site is www.copartfinder.com where it shows you wrecked cars and tells you where they are located. You'd have to contact the wrecking yards individually, either through email or phone to find out if they still have the part and how much.

I was SO happy that I had $0 deductible for comprehensive for my Miata when it got broken into, the top cut, and the radio stolen...

I have a $250 or $500 deductible for collision since I figure it was my fault if I need to use collision coverage. However, if my car is broken into, it's no fault of mine, so I'd rather not have to pay. Changing the deductible from $250 to $0 for comprehensive only raised the rates on the Miata like $75-$100/year and about the same amount for my Maxima.

-V
Old 07-11-2001, 06:24 AM

actually NO....for example....let's say that i am some punk that decides to key your whole car.....oops....Now what....you gonna have to get it painted right....now most people probably have a $250 deductable....now would you rather pay the $250 or however much it would cost to repair the damage that was done....i would much rather pay the deductable than the whole thing....and it's not like your rates will go up w/ a claim like that...becuase that is why you make those god awful payments each month...that's the whole point of insurance....
how often does something like that happen? What usually happens is you get a scratch, or a broken window because somebody broke in. In most cases such repairs will run under $500. Now if you have a $250 deductible, you save $250, but remember that you are paying extra every month. In my case it was going to cost me an extra $1000 for the F/C with a $250 deductible. So, somebody would have to do $500 worth of demage 4 times during the course of a year for me to justify the premiums (ok, less since I am also covered if I get into an accident which is my fault, but still).
If you have a zero deductible it's certainly better.
In my experience, however, it does not pay- driving in NY (Brooklyn & Manhattan mostly) and leaving the car in the streets only yielded maybe minor 2-3 scratches, and none of them was worth anywhere close to $500. Compare it to a $5000 I saved on my premius over these years....

Later
Old 07-11-2001, 07:09 AM

macco paintjob

I'd avoid the macco paint job if possible--pay a little more elsehwere and get a better quality paint job.

My GLE never came with the spoiler, but I got one done for $200 installed and painted. MY question to you guys is this: I see that my spoiler is only held down by two bolts on each side (left and right)of the outer support. Does the OEM spoilers have more bolts to hold the spoiler down? or it is pretty much standard that a total of 4 bolts hold the spoiler down?

Originally posted by Vyrus
Firstly, let me say that really sucks. To be honest with you though, I think you are gonna have to buy a new one and get it painted. www.spoilersetc.net is $155, but I once found a place for $109. I'll see if I can find the place and get it to you. this is the kind of stuff that makes me want to save up and buy a cheap car so my maxima doesn't get screwed up. just trying to help. try maaco for a trunk paintjob - they will probably be the cheapest.
Old 07-11-2001, 07:20 AM

broken spoiler bolt

my SE has the OEM spoiler, and has 4 bolts. about a month ago i was trying to remove it since it rattles from my bass, and try to seal it or something, and one bolt broke, and its probably loser than ever. anyone have any ideas about what to do with the broken bolt now? should i try drilling it out and putting another in there??

thanks, Hall
Old 07-11-2001, 07:21 AM

Don't go through insurance for something that is going to be $350 or less to fix...please.

Erik
Old 07-11-2001, 08:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks a lot for all of your replies. Insurance is not going to be an issue since I have an outrageous $1,000 deductible. I have heard many bad things about MAACO, so I'll probably steer clear from them. I will probably check the salvage yards first and then if I have no luck I'll have to buy new. Btw, I live in Wichita, KS. There's ba$tard$ everywhere in the world. I just thought....if it rains water can get in my trunk. The two supports are broken and there's two holes there. Great, more headaches. I need a fatter wallet! Wouldn't you think that it would have to have been someone that needed a spoiler for there Max!?
Old 07-11-2001, 09:22 AM

Thanks a lot for all of your replies. Insurance is not going to be an issue since I have an outrageous $1,000 deductible. I have heard many bad things about MAACO, so I'll probably steer clear from them. I will probably check the salvage yards first and then if I have no luck I'll have to buy new. Btw, I live in Wichita, KS. There's ba$tard$ everywhere in the world. I just thought....if it rains water can get in my trunk. The two supports are broken and there's two holes there. Great, more headaches. I need a fatter wallet! Wouldn't you think that it would have to have been someone that needed a spoiler for there Max!?
I just wanted to say that I know how it feels to get stuff stolen from you car. I had some tail lights stolen from my car at my apartment. It sucks. My I am moving partly because of it, but there is people like that everywhere.
Good luck with it all

- Isa -
97 Nissan Maxima SE
Old 07-11-2001, 10:23 AM

I too have had my spoiler stolen before. If your car does not need repainting, then buy an OEM, yes an OEM spoiler. I didnt even need the install kit when I put mine back in. They come already painted. I did have to do some rewiring work, caues the plug wasnt the same, but other then that the install was real easy. Contact courtesy nissan in TX to get a replacement (it has the LED on it too).

You have a $1000 comprehensive or collision deductible?