4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OSCAI Install Writeup inside (VERY LONG) *10* Steps

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 01:00 AM
Sunrise

Did my Poormans (aka Plumbers) CAI today on my '98 SE, used the following:

1 - 10ft long 2" plastic PVC pipe (black).
1 - 2" 22.5 degree pipe -STREET- joint (black.
1 - 2" 60 degree pipe joint (black).

TOTAL COST: ~$11.80

Got everything at Home Depot in plumbing department. I probably should have used a 3" pipe because it lets in more air...but I wasnt really thinking when I did this install.

Lets see, here's how i did it (Lame-Man's terms):

0) Jack up the car, thats just common sense. You cant stick your head under the car...your head is too big, do not attempt sticking your head under your car without jacking it up.

0.5) Get a FRIEND. These wonderful things we call "FRIENDS" everyone needs them, so will you. You CAN do this yourself...but its easier and more fun with a friend.

1) Take off the left splash guard (on the same side as your steering wheel), about 6 botls. Use a wrench, not a screwdriver, MUCH easier.

2) Unbolt the 2 screws on the front of your intake manifold (you know, where your hood is, theres 2 bolts) HINT: hold the little plastic part on the outside of the bolt when unscrewing...makes it much easier (learned the hard way).
THEN take out the pipe thing by pushing up and away from yourself if you are standing on the drivers side, also under your filter push it away there too so that it comes out evenly, dont take it out of the engine bay though, just enough for the curved L-joing to pop out of the front of the manifold.

3) Take off the smooth L-shaped pipe under your intake (right under the big hole where your engine sucks in air from your hood) by sticking a flathead screwdriver in the top hole where it goes into the black box (facing the drivers side fender), there is a little notch to stick in your flathead. Pop out the L-joint, and SECURE YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD BACK IN ITS PLACE (screw it in, stupid). Place it (L-joint) securely in your trunk, incase your OSCAI falls out somewhere and you want to make yourself feel better by placing the original part back in.

4) Cut your 10ft pipe with a saw to about 2ft length (I think), clean it out, sand if you must to make it straight.

5) Stick the 22.5 degree joint into the bottom of your intake (where you took out your old L-joint), then from the bottom of your car stick in your PVC pipe, have a friend press on the top of your intake so you dont rip it out of its socket, make sure the PVC pipe is sort of secure. Rotate the 22.5 street joint so that your PVC pipe points towards the left-front corner of your car (like, infront of your batter or something). Make sure its not touching anything.

6) Measure out (with your mind) just enough pipe so that you can place your 60 degree joint on there and have enough ground clearance, so you dont have your OSCAI magically dissappear after a visit to the local 7-11. Your 60 degree joint is going to be croocked looking , but will face forward nonetheless. When you cut your pipe again, make sure you leave enough space for the pipe to go into the joint (like 2 inches). Just look at everything visually and make sure the 60 degree joint is going to be just as low as your tow hook.
Here's how it looks:
|
\
\
\
O '<- tow hook

7) Cut your pipe for the final time, sand it, CLEAN it out, so there are no plastic shrapnel pieces inside. In the end, your pipe should measure out at AROUND 1.5 feet.

8) Stick it back into the 22.5 degree joint already in your intake manifold, rotate it to your liking. Stick on your 60 degree joint. Thats it...or is it?

9) No, thats not it. It would be a very wise idea to make sure your OSCAI doesnt fall apart. I drilled a very small hole into the joint parts (back of the joints for better security) and then screwed a small screw into the pipe and joint. It worked out really well.
*** Also YOU have to find a way to secure it so it doesnt fall out as soon as you back out of your garage. ME? I used metal wiring wrapped in plastic, tied it twice around the top of the pipe, and tied it off under the battery, there should be a little hole on the battery holder. I also tied it off on the bottom and connected it on a hole i found on the body. If you have a better way of securing it, PLEASE TELL ME, IM DUMB!

10) Now thats it...or...bah forget it. You can also install a mesh on the intake so that little rodents dont just climb in there. Thats what I did. I just bent it into a circle, and jammed it in there, it looks like crap. THATS IT!

If you have any questions, post them.

WHEW THAT WAS LONG! I hope it wasnt a waste.

Old 07-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's pretty darn cool! Thx for the How2. If you gots some pics of the final setup, that would be great to visualize what you did.

Just some questions.
1. don't you need a K&N filter on the end somewhere. From what I understand, the OSCAI limb doesn't get filtered by the stock air filter.
2. does the OSCAI sound any different than stock?
Old 07-11-2001, 05:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Ya, no pictures, eh?
Old 07-11-2001, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let us know how it performs.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:07 PM
Sunrise

answers

Sorry guys i have no pictures, i dont have a digicam anymore. It basically looks like a periscope sticking out of the bottom of the car.

1) YES, you NEED a K&N drop-in filter, its a MUST. I forgot to mention that, i dont have one yet...im low on cash, thats why i made my own intake......

2) The OSCAI doesnt SEEM to sound different...but thats probably because I have a LOUD *** exhaust and no K&N filter, sorry guys, i havent heard a real-CAI growl yet.

3) Performance wise, once again I dont have a K&N so I wont even bother paying $70 for a dyno run, BUT for some weird reason, maybe its in my head...I took it out late at night one day and gunned it from 40mph to 80mph and it didnt even hiccup, it seemed to get there very fast. Hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2001, 09:52 PM

Something to try this weekend......

Just may be, if I have enough time, I'll try to prototype a RAM Air kit for my JWT intake like the one from Weapon-R. I'll stop by the local Home Depot (just down the block) and check out some pvc pipes that I can possibly put together to make one. I don't know if this will give any gains but it's worth trying......
Old 07-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you reset the ecu after installing the intake? If you did not, it defeats the whole purpose as the engine has to adjust for the increased air flow.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:44 PM
Sunrise

oh!

tahts what i forgot to do! HEH!

1) get a k&n filter

2) RESET THE ECU! HARDY HAR HAR!

im dumb

Old 07-20-2001, 09:32 AM

Re: oh!

So how did it turn out after you reset the ECU?
Old 07-20-2001, 09:11 PM
Sunrise

First OSCAI intake...gone

Yes, its gone and laying in my garage. Heres the story...After a long night at the bowling alley, I drove out of the parking lot into a BIG DIP...and *POP* went my oscai...it popped of the joint and bolt were ripped off of the PVC pipe. Basically, it got FUUUUUUDGED. But it didnt really matter because I didnt have a k&n filter and didnt reset my ECU.

I redid my intake..this time with a bigger 3" ABS drain pipe (ribbed) and REAL flex rubber couplers, so it looks professional and not ghetto tied. Also, I installed a 2.5" vacuum cleaner scoop (found in the hardware/vacuum isle), its called a....utility nozzle i think and costs $5.

Basically its my OSCAIv2.0. New cost $19.76 total with the 10feet of ABS pipe, 2 couplers (2"->3" and 3"->3") and the utility nozzle.

THis time i reset my ecu and dropped in a k&n....man, this thing hauls! once you're over 40 the air rushing in pushes it! I was doing 80 in a place I usually do 60 and DAMN! i got REALLY scared when i looked down at my spedometer, I didnt notice the speed.Oh yeah, cold weather REALLY helps...I dont care what anyone says, this mod is WORTH IT!