4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Jersey Statutes - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM

New Jersey Statutes - Question

39:3-50. Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits
All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a) The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(b) Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

(c) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the director.

(d) A permit authorizing a vehicle to be equipped with a lamp capable of or displaying a flashing light, except as provided in 39:3-54 or a light of a color other than permitted by this section, visible from directly in front of said vehicle, may be issued by the director when necessary, in his discretion, for the reasonable and safe movement of traffic. The permit shall specify the type and color of such lamp and the conditions under which a person may drive or move the vehicle with said lamp displaying a light. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with.
Does this mean in NJ we can have white bulbs in our bumper lights? The "Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear" is rather confusing, and seems to contradict:

"Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;"
Old 04-26-2007, 01:21 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

im not sure, it is confusing, but i would say it would be a stupid idea. If you just mean the light, then fine, but if im reading it right you are talking bout the turn signal, correct? In that case, a white bulb is rather retarded.

My apologies if i mis-understand
Old 04-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by scubasteve
im not sure, it is confusing, but i would say it would be a stupid idea. If you just mean the light, then fine, but if im reading it right you are talking bout the turn signal, correct? In that case, a white bulb is rather retarded.

My apologies if i mis-understand
I'm not sure what "light" your referring to, but yes I am talking about the turn signal. And I don't see why a white bulb would be "rather retarded". If you are saying that its retarded I put in a white light into an amber reflector, and it would still come out amber, then yes it is retarded. But that is what comes stock. I have clear turn signal housings, and having amber bulbs in there look awkward so I'm figuring out if I can put clear bulbs inside.

Now, after reading the sentences over and over again, I've decided I'll go with white bulbs because both sentences are independent of the overruling paragraphs b/c/d, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to put contradicting statements in the same paragraph.

Further more it specifically says: Substantially white when the lamp is a turn signal on or facing the front;
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

clear lens + white bulb = hard as hell to see in the daytime = stupid
Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Wild for Width

^^^ Super duper link!