4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tires Tires? What kind to get!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Tires Tires? What kind to get!

So, I got the 18's I think 7.5 inches wide.... Either way, I ONLY will use them in the summer time. I HAD 235 40 Z18 Yokohoma (spelling) Parada.... They lasted for 2 seasons... Any other suggestions on brand names? Im not a race car driver..... So... Suggest any tires that meet my needs?

gotta look good doing the dope sales :S
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Only summer tires, how about toyo proxes 4? Most people seem to have good things to say about those. Michelin Pilot sport a/s? There an all season but they seem to perform pretty good throughout the year.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM

stick with YOKOS man- that or the TOYO's...I havent tried the Toyo's yet. Prefer Yokohama over michelin though
Old 05-07-2007, 02:08 PM

The kind that you ask about in the wheels and tires forum.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

on my car i had Yokohama yk420 215 50 r17, they were nice when i first got them, but with my driving they wore down fast, around corners they squeal loud, no tractions in the rain at all. my next set i'm looking at is either goodyear or bf goodrich i heard good remarks on them for my driving style
Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Toyo Proxes 4s come highly recommended by all their owners.

And you should post in the wheels and tires section next time.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM

dont get continental extreme contact.. they suck my *****... are loud and wear like crazy..
Old 05-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Don't buy TOYO's they wear through too quickly. Had Proxes T-1S: superb tyres with excellent grip in wet/dry but they wear out fast.

Bridgestone Potenza GIII or the new BG-Potenza Adrenalins that are asymmetrical like Michelins and Pirellis so a lot less road noise but just as much if not more road-holding and resistance to tyre wall bending in corners as uni-directional tyres.

Dunlop Sport MAXX have my friends thumbs up and he used to run the old Yokohama Advan Sports.

IMO - Bridgestone Potenza GIII or the Adrenalins that are just coming out now. They are superior all-round performance tyres that last a lot longer than most hi-po tyres do.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by PHAT6
Don't buy TOYO's they wear through too quickly. Had Proxes T-1S
So what you're saying is you're making a huge generalization based on a single experience you had with a high performance, low-life tire?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Yep. At least mine are based upon personal experience - some people in here and I'm not saying you're one only pass on what they've vaguely heard or read as fact. I differentiated what I've experienced with what my 'friends' have said.

He asked for what we reckon and that's what I gave him. Problem?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:12 PM

Yep. At least mine are based upon personal experience - some people in here and I'm not saying you're one only pass on what they've vaguely heard or read as fact. I differentiated what I've experienced with what my 'friends' have said.
Friends? Try the majority of the most respected members of the org. I've used T1Rs, got basically what I expected out of them, given my driving style. The T1S and T1R are not designed to be a long-lasting tire. And even if the Proxes 4s gave similar tread wear, they'd still be a bargain.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Check out Toyo's newest tire (I just got them and I love them) which are better than the Proxes 4 but are on promo right now so should be cheaper. They are called the Toyo Versado...

AA/A 400
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Sold

Falken Ziex 512's. Just be really careful around town... with the potholes. the side walls like to tear up really easily.
Shoot me a pm ruthless... you can take mine for a rip if you want.
jasen
these are rated as an all season, but I believe they would be horrible in the winter. Great in the rain. excellent wear. I like them other than the sidewall issues.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM

bfgoodrich g-force sport great handling in water and dry traction for a decent price
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by achebee4you
bfgoodrich g-force sport great handling in water and dry traction for a decent price
Im running the bfgoodrich g-force kdw2 tires on the max right now 245 40 18

they rock...great launching traction, GREAT tread wear, and are awesome in the rain....and to be honest they are pretty quiet considering the tread design....

and to top it off they look kewl!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM

The name TOYO IMO looks nicest on your tyre walls and you do say you're not a racer so they'll last longer than mine did. But if you push them and burn rubber...then buy something else.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax
Falken Ziex 512's. Just be really careful around town... with the potholes. the side walls like to tear up really easily.
Shoot me a pm ruthless... you can take mine for a rip if you want.
jasen
these are rated as an all season, but I believe they would be horrible in the winter. Great in the rain. excellent wear. I like them other than the sidewall issues.
Def. good for its long lasting and price. I've had NUMEROUS amount of tires and rims between me and my bro.

Note: i love the falken's since they're great in rain, pretty good dry, and long life since i do drive around 40k a year. So most i get is 1 - 1/2 seasons tops even while taking off for the winter...

Wanli s 1008??- NEVER EVER GET (got these when i was 17 and had no money)

Toyo Proxes 4 - Good tires, good in the rain and snow, but when i cornered hard i looked at the tires again, it was shredding a little.

BFG - KDW - awesome tires, grip like crazy, but very low life - not recommended for people who drive a lot

Kumho 712 - prob one of the worse tires IMO, hate those tires, screech like crazy, and suck in the rain

BFG - TA KD - don't think they make this anymore. good tires. Half of the tire mimic drag radials, and half have tread. But does not have a good rim protector. You will scratch up your rim if you're not careful.

Contintental Conti extreme - Really grip in the rain and snow, tread life pretty good. Great if you want to run all year round.

Michelin Pilot Sport- Awesome tires, don't last long and too expensive. Wouldn't go with them if short on cash.

Finally the Falken Ziex - 712, had these the 3rd time around, wanted to see if there were better tires for the money, didn't find anything else close to it. Definitely a great choice when it comes down to long life tread. These things grip superb in the rain, pretty good in the snow, and good enough for me in dry weather. These will definitely fit your need no matter what you need.

I believe thats all the aftermarket tires i've dealt with..hope that helps
Old 05-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by JSMax
Falken Ziex 512's.

They're definitely usable as all-season.

Our Eclipse pounded through a few snowstorms in 512's with no surprises.

My tire guy <smack> put a pair of Kumho SPTs (summer tires) on the front of my Maxima, and I had a pair of 512s in back. On hardpack snow, the SPTs couldn't get me up a slight hill. I had to pull over and rotate my wheels to put the Ziex's on the front, then the rest of my ride was no problem. Rotating the tires with a spare tire jack in 6" of falling snow = no fun.

F* summer tires.

Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

thanks for all your info! I get deals on tires, Cost + 10%... w00t, hook ups!

I will price out the new TOYO's and Falken Ziex 512's.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 PM

I didnt like my Contiental Contact extreme, they lasted around 25,000 miles and was horrible in the snow for me. They were at like half tread. They did like the rain, it wasnt bad.
But I vote BFGoodrich, falken or toyo
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM

I have the TOYO Proxy 4s and have had no problems with them. Summer only though , I'd be scared to see how they would handle the snow
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by redwagon29
I have the TOYO Proxy 4s and have had no problems with them. Summer only though , I'd be scared to see how they would handle the snow
Proxes.

And from what I've heard (and read upwards in the thread) they don't handle snow too badly for an UHP tire.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Sold

Ruthless... you should check out car audio gone wild this weekend. I talked to the people at tire warehouse and they say mad deals on the falken ziex 512.
Might be worth it...
just so you know.
just the tire (225/40/18) is currently listing at 161 each. No warranty, mount and balance extra. I would assume around 100-125 each. He wouldn't give me a price over the phone.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
maxima985spd

i have the Toyo Proxes T1R and they are AWESOME i cant get them to leave the pavement no matter what type of weather. but not good at all in the snow.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 AM

car audio gone wild ??? What the hell is that? I dont even have subs anymore. 2 x broken
Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM

Ruthless,

Last year I bought the Riken Raptor tires and I hit a pothole on the passengert side and the tires on that side of the care looked like I drove through a briar patch - stress marks everywhere. My mechanic (whom I trust solely with my car, Maxine) laughed at me and suggested that you never buy a tire with the name of an animal in it!

Off of the suggestion of my mechanic for a great brand of tire (who owns a 2003 BMW M3 with the sport package which he races FOR REAL) and from my research, I replaced my tires with the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. The tire has a treadwear of 400 for the Pirelli line (as treadwear numbers may not be equivalent between brands). They are also M+S (mudd+snow) so they will handle wet pretty good - this is good because folks usually put their tires on in the spring (rainy season) to get ready for summer. These tires will help you maintain driveability in the wet conditions, and last a good little while.

I have 18" wheels on my car (will post pics soon), so I went with a 245/40 R18 tire. I love them! They are $171/ea and free shipping on www.discounttiredirect.com. And Pirelli has a pretty good name in tires. . .

God bless bro!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

He asked for what we reckon and that's what I gave him. Problem?
I have toyo proxes4 on my car now, and I drive it pretty hard for 10-mile bursts at least 5x a week on very twisty, curvy roads (dozens of linked 25-35 mph curves). I have a 100 mile commute each day with 80 miles highway and 20 being curvy. After 8 months and about 15K, I am very happy with treadwear and traction.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Proxes.

And from what I've heard (and read upwards in the thread) they don't handle snow too badly for an UHP tire.
They are a 6/10 in snow. I never did not get to work this winter, but I had to take it really easy, and U had a lot of trouble getting moving on a grade if I was at a dead stop.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
i have the Toyo Proxes T1R and they are AWESOME i cant get them to leave the pavement no matter what type of weather. but not good at all in the snow.
You can't get them to leave the pavement? Have you tried running it off a cliff?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
Wait...you think that they are awesome...you cannot get them to leave the pavement "no matter that type of weather..."

..but they suck in the snow? So they suck in the snow but they stay on the pavement? Or is snow not weather?

I am confused...
Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 PM

I have bought my tires. Went with the Falcon's this time around.

Thanks very much for all input. Now all i need to do is replace my fog lights, fix my exhuast leak, then replace my busted subs, repalce my Heat vents above auto climate control. then im rocking!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ruthless
I have bought my tires. Went with the Falcon's this time around.

Thanks very much for all input. Now all i need to do is replace my fog lights, fix my exhuast leak, then replace my busted subs, repalce my Heat vents above auto climate control. then im rocking!
hopefully u didn't...since it's falken.....a falcon is another name of an animal and might have strectch marks....-= )...make sure it doesn't say falcon ziex 512...cause u might be getting screwed..heh
Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 AM

i have Hankook Ventus HRIIs. theyre not terrible, but nothing spectacular. theyre reletively cheap also.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Sold

Originally Posted by Ruthless
car audio gone wild ??? What the hell is that? I dont even have subs anymore. 2 x broken
Large car audio/rim and tire sale at the sportex. Friday/Saturday only.
http://www.caraudiogonewild.com/
Supposed to be crazy discounts and I heard that "audison" made their canadian debut at this sale. Comes around once a year.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

has anyone tried the yokahama AVS ES100? im really thinking about getting these and i need a couple thumbs up. are they good in wet, are they good for weekend auto-x (rare), are they good tread life and sidewall?

they are pritty cheap and alot of reviews praise them as a good tire, but how do they fair on the stock 97 16" SE rims?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:00 AM

i just bought some BFG Traction T/A's because its the highest treadwear i've seen on a tire in the size 235/45/17, and i got them for a deal new on ebay. they were in the price range i was looking at (around 100 bucks per tire)
I think the tread life has alot to do with your tire size, driving style, and suspension. I drive hard as hell...not 24/7 but definently often. 3.5 power on ksports and low profile tires is definently going to reduce the tread life of your tires ALOT. I have been buying cheap *** kumho's and getting at most 15k out of them before they absolutely had to be replaced.
thats just the price you pay for upgrading your performance. If i put my stock 15's back on with the 205/65/15's i would definently expect longer tread life (plus tires in that size are so much cheaper).
so anyway, with 440 treadlife and a 60k mile warranty hopefully these tires do at least half that.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Maintenance Monster

The treadwear rating on a tire is not standard across brands. So one brand's 360 treadwear rating might last longer than another brand's 420 rating. I'm not saying it's a meaningless number, but it isn't scientific.

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Get som toyo tires. Their good far that kind of driving
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, get some Toyos y0!! GO WITH TOYO TIRES!!

No really, Toyos rawk.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
has anyone tried the yokahama AVS ES100? im really thinking about getting these and i need a couple thumbs up. are they good in wet, are they good for weekend auto-x (rare), are they good tread life and sidewall?

they are pritty cheap and alot of reviews praise them as a good tire, but how do they fair on the stock 97 16" SE rims?
From what I have read (and experienced), ES100s leave a lot to be desired in many categories.