4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems running HID's in Halogen projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Hella internets

Problems running HID's in Halogen projectors?

Im doing a retrofit and realized that the projectors i have are hallogen projectors and NOT for HIDs they still have the beam cut off plate in the projector housing however, if that makes any difference.

I am assuming that the output will be better than just sticking hid's in the stock maxima housings with no projectors...but is it worth the work to retrofit with these projectors? Im not really caring too much about having a perfect cutoff like on most of the retrofits here on the org...im just looking for better light output without blinding other drivers...that and i like the look of the projectors...

any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm not sure how well D2S bulbs are going to fit in the projectors, and whether they're going to sit right/burn in the right position. You want the center of the light source to be in the focal point of the reflector bowl, and the D2S bulbs will probably sit differently in respect to their base than the halogen bulbs the projectors were designed for.

Try putting a D2S bulb inside the reflector as it would sit normally and fire it up.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Hella internets

The only problem is i havent gotten the HIDs yet...i was just bored and decided to do the retrofit before i got em...

There is about a 3/4 of an inch "tube" (lack of better words) that the halogen bulb sits in before it actually goes into the projector housing....

)=

Looks kinda like that = is the tube i was talking about, then it enters the housing where the ) is and i guess projects the light forward to the cuttoff and the actual lens...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Ah, honestly I'd probably wait until I got the HIDs... what are the projectors from? You can go on HIDplanet and see if anyone has any experience with putting D2S in your particular projector, ask if they have any beam pattern pics etc.

If you want to go ahead, you can always just use halogens in 'em... it'll still be a good lighting upgrade from stock or stock/9007s...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:56 PM

english

Wish this was in english so I could understand
Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by brandnew
Wow, wish you could just get banned for $hitting on other peoples threads...

Or maybe work on your own english in your previous wonderfull posts:

Examples:

Want to retro fit my headlights and fogs for my hids not really satisfied wit the scattered beam in my hids in my fogs and headlights

That is happenin to me now but just not as bad I cleaned the throttle body also but still happenin also feels like my tranny slips heard that my prob was linked to that so any ideas
I guess maybe you just need to work on your run on sentences...hmmmm...

joo know engrish, but no do correct gramma?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:03 PM

Halogen - incandescent (they heat up, produces light) lighting, usually yellow in color
HID - High Intensity Discharge - fluorescent lighting in which an arc of energy across certain gasses produces light. Usually appears bluish/white in color and is much brighter than halogen lighting.
D2S - type of HID bulb used with HID projectors

Projector - a standalone "pod" that projects a beam of usable light (when used in conjunction with a bulb)--found in most cars with HID lighting and some with halogen. Projectors designed for HID bulbs usually produce a more defined and wider beam than projectors designed for halogen bulbs, and thus will give better results when paired with halogens than HIDs.

Any questions?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Bacon Lover

As was said already, check out HIDPlanet.com's forums and see if anyone has any experience with it. What type of bulb do your projectors normally use when halogen? If it were me, I'd stop the retrofit, sell off the current projectors, and pick up something that actually uses D2S.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 AM

What car did the projectors come from and what bulb designation is it?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:49 PM

probaly a h series bulb projector you have.

remember if you want to use those projectors you have currently you should probaly get a plug and play kit on w/e bulb size you have. h1 and h7 are typically a good percentage of halogen projectors i've seen. The cut off will be there and the glare will be reduced extreme versus just sticking a plug and play kit in there.

But why go thru the trouble of doing that when you can sell those and pick up a set. there is no diffrence in putting in a HID or halogen projector. I can see how you might look at cost wise, it might cost you an extra 50-70 but it might be worth it.

Another thing to consider. retro the halogen in and run regular bulb halogen bulbs in the projectors, pretty much i'm willing to say its going to be 2-5 times better then stock. where as HID will be 10-20 times better then stock.