4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone ever bought the OEM airfilter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
I drive enough in the city. I live in Toronto, the largest city in Canada we have the hwy 401 which is the busiest and longest HWY in North America. Yes i still get stuck in traffic. I havent taken any long trips because i got my maxima last oct 06 and there is no reason to travel that far in the winter. This summer it will be a different story. I care about MPG a lot and it makes no difference how far my single longest trip is, the fact of the matter is that i travel to work and back everyday and go out on weekends.
i do the same amount of driving. the milage i just listed is not for a single trip. that is per tank with city/hwy driving. i think if you fix that knock sensor regap your plugs to the correct specs. change your fuel filter, and keep the the TB clean youll see a big increase of your milage. and dont use 87 oct.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
i do the same amount of driving. the milage i just listed is not for a single trip. that is per tank with city/hwy driving. i think if you fix that knock sensor regap your plugs to the correct specs. change your fuel filter, and keep the the TB clean youll see a big increase of your milage. and dont use 87 oct.
I got 585 KM on a tank when i filled up last night

I will not fix the KS because i will never put 91 into my max, look at it logically like this : whats the difference in spending more money on gas and getting better mileage versus spending less money on gas and getting less mileage ?

its the same thing, its like a ratio.

half the people here cant even tell the difference from before and after they replaced their KS. i spoke to a mech, engineer (30 y. experience) and he did not change his KS.
last night it cost me 67 canadian dollars to fill the max, i dont think i wanna pay $77 for 91. its just a maxima, not a lamborghini, and it runs perfectly fine for me on 87. There is no point putting in more expensive gas because the way the car drives now feels amazing, i got all the power i could ask for.

i dont gap my plugs, i just put in platinums like 8000 KM ago, 300z fuel filter filter (fuel filter does not affect mpg, i dont think) replaced PCV, coolant tranny oil, engine oil, put in fuel injector cleaner, air filter... ect..the car is perfectly maintained.

What is wrong with getting the same mileage that nissan advertises the car with ? i dont understand how some people here get Hybrid Camry-like numbers. this is a 12-8 y/o V6 cars we are discussing here. my moms 2006 2.4L V4 camry is advertised at 23/32 mpg, my dads 2007 3.5L V6 camry is advertised at 22/31 mpg, there is nothing wrong with my MPG its on par with nissan's claims...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Too bad you don't have Mohawk or Husky gas stations in Toronto. I buy 90 octane (10% ethanol) gas at the price of 87 and my VQ loves it.

I used to commute 36km round trip and routinely got 23 mpg (Imperial). On the highway, I have experienced almost 900 km to a tank (albeit on fumes) before. I routinely get in excess of 35 mpg (Imperial) on highway trips.

You will see an improvement in mpg in the summer and if you get the vehicle out on road trips. Having said that, I would compromise and buy 89 octane, which is what I ran most of the time before switching to the 90 octane gas I am using now.

Try Chevron 89 with Techron. I don't know about Ontario, but you can no longer buy bottles of Techron off the shelf in BC as Chevron has pulled the product as a result of a complaint/complaints of some sort.

Having a Maxima and running it on 87 octane with a fubared knock sensor, would be like having sex with a faulty condom, why bother?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM

What is wrong with getting the same mileage that nissan advertises the car with ? i dont understand how some people here get Hybrid Camry-like numbers. this is a 12-8 y/o V6 cars we are discussing here. my moms 2006 2.4L V4 camry is advertised at 23/32 mpg, my dads 2007 3.5L V6 camry is advertised at 22/31 mpg, there is nothing wrong with my MPG its on par with nissan's claims...
my milage is better than all of these cars because of the things i stated earlier. i have I/Y/E Mevi and i am a 5spd. i have a lead foot and i still get better milage. you say you "maintain" your car. not with a bad KS you dont.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Having a Maxima and running it on 87 ocatne with a fubared knock sensor, would be like having sex with a faulty condom, why bother?
In theory that i gathered from this site, i can replace my KS, get rid of the code, and use 87, or 89 as long as the code doesnt come back and my timing would not be retarded, i may try this but needs to get a KS firsto...rught now tho, there is no pioint in running anything but 87 cause my KS is shot, I have put 91 for a few tanks and reset the code -- guess what i saw no MPG increase difference and the same power or whatever. The code always came back becaues the KS is dead, now u tell my why should i put anything but 87 with a dead KS ?

Originally Posted by Blackwind
you say you "maintain" your car. not with a bad KS you dont.
yeah i do maintain it, rustproof painting the lower rad support is crazy enough maintenance, double waxing is crazy, interior repairs and swaps are crazy. the only fluid i have not taken care of yet is the brake fluid which still looks clear enough to be used for another year.

i basically cannot buy online at the moment so i cant get a KS that way and there is no way i am paying over $200 for a KS at the dealer when others are paying like $65 online delivered. if i had the KS in my hand right now hell yeah i would try to put it in if my hand would fit in there, and TRY 89 or 91 just to see the difference everyone else claims. I would still go back to 87, have no knock, and no code.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Then replace the knock sensor when you can afford to and try some real gas this summer.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 PM

In theory that i gathered from this site, i can replace my KS, get rid of the code, and use 87, or 89 as long as the code doesnt come back and my timing would not be retarded, i may try this but needs to get a KS firsto...rught now tho, there is no pioint in running anything but 87 cause my KS is shot, I have put 91 for a few tanks and reset the code -- guess what i saw no MPG increase difference and the same power or whatever. The code always came back becaues the KS is dead, now u tell my why should i put anything but 87 with a dead KS ?

yeah i do maintain it, rustproof painting the lower rad support is crazy enough maintenance, double waxing is crazy, interior repairs and swaps are crazy. the only fluid i have not taken care of yet is the brake fluid which still looks clear enough to be used for another year.

i basically cannot buy online at the moment so i cant get a KS that way and there is no way i am paying over $200 for a KS at the dealer when others are paying like $65 online delivered. if i had the KS in my hand right now hell yeah i would try to put it in if my hand would fit in there, and TRY 89 or 91 just to see the difference everyone else claims. I would still go back to 87, have no knock, and no code.
man if cost is that much of an issue, just tell me what you need and ill get it at cost for you. you just pay me the shipping back.