4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GI- If I Sell right now, how much would YOU Pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM

GI- If I Sell right now, how much would YOU Pay?

(I know its long, but its fun! ) "Sanctioned" by phenryiv1

Two to three times a year, I get the urge to sell my car and get one of my "dream cars" (Z32TTs, E36 M3s, boosted 3-series, late 90s Q45, 70 Chevelle, etc...) but never really do. Been doing it for a good 2-3 yrs now. However, I know the time will eventually come that I'll finally move on.

I just want to have an idea of how much I have to gain from all the stuff done to my car to this date, if I were to sell to an enthusiast that would take care of my baby , lol.

Ok, some of the mods I'll keep, so I wont bother mentioning them here, but if I sell, this if what you would get...
1995 Maxima SE 5-spd black on black, 142k miles on the odometer

Body= Super Black, OEM Cefiros (not TYC crappy knock offs), Original Red/Clear tails, 20% charcoal tints WSP Stg 1 Subframe Connectors are in delivery as we speak, so they'd be on the car.

Interior= Alarm'd up. Fully Converted Black Leather from Nismology's previous 96 Maxima(ZERO tears or stains. Rear seat on the top is stiff from sun baking, but no cracks there either. Only things still beige is the headliner and the carpet, but it actually creates a nice contrast. Dash was painted black by me and looks OEM). Carpet has the expected stains here and there. Red LED everything. Cold AC. Triple gauge pod (Autometer Phantom2 20psi Vaccum/Boost, and Autometer UltraLite Electrical Water Temp Gauge). JVC MP3 player, Memphis Audio Components all around, plus 2 extra tweeters up front, all powered by a single Wolfenhag amp. Custom Molded shroud for the SAFC1. S2000 Engine Start button. Chrome gauge rings and I30 inner door handles, cut stock shifter

Under the Hood/ Power Adders= 02 Maxima VQ35DE. ~40k miles on it, 11k since the swap. Replaced original head gaskets with triple layer OEM 350Z head gaskets (labor done by nismology, streetzlegend, and myself). Engine runs hard and smooth. Bomz CAI, Pathfinder TB, SS'd IM, stock 3.0 headers (no precats), WSP y-pipe+ test pipe+ mandrel bent 2.5" Q' Clone catback, MotoStorm UDP, grey99max's 16v Ignition system (with plugs gapped to .49... I'll cover that on the All Motor Forum when I get a chance). Oil catch can bet'n PCV and IM, Fuelab FPR, SAFC1 tuned.

Tranny/ Drivetrain= Stock transmission, works butter smooth. Spec Stage2 clutch, stock resurfaced 3.0 flywheel

Suspension/ Brakes/ Wheels= Sprint/AGX, Energy Suspension Urethane everything up front (Motor Mounts, x-member bushings, sway bar and endlinks, control arm). Borbet TypeE 17x8 wheels, Fusion ZRi 235/45-17s, Brembo blanks w/ Axxis Metal Masters, SS brake lines on front only, JClaw's Traction Bars

KBB says its worth cacabars (Private Party= $3635, Suggested Retail= $4800)
NADA says (Clean Retail Value= $4000, High Retail= $4900)
Edmunds says (Private party= $3387, Dealer= $4897)

Notes- This is 13 second car, but I couldnt do better than 14.5 @ 96 due to lack of traction until top of 2nd. Aso, thats full trimmed on my heavy Borbets. With DRs or slicks 13s are VERY possible. Not just launch, but also the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts I got alot of spin, WITH these 235s. With slicks im sure it could run 14.0 FULL TRIM.

Engine gets nothing but Mobil1 changed religiously, and tranny gets nothing but Amsoil MTL.

PICTURE TIME!!!!! (Since Im not really sellin, I dont have any actualy GOOD pictures of some of the stuff, but just to give you an idea...)

Exterior-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...Markham07a.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...30-07-1Sig.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...tFenderGap.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...rboDaySig1.jpg

Interior(from before I painted the dash)-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...pec-arival.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...alledDay-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...ledNight-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...ton-blurry.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...GaugeSide2.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...olecluster.jpg

Engine-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...x/VQ35Side.jpg b4 swap
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...x/rebuild1.jpg after swap, doing HG replacement with engine in the car
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...ham3-11-07.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...Markham07c.jpg

Last dyno (before 16v ignition system) > http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...yno4-7-07a.jpg

When sale time comes around, Im gonna be looking for $7000. What do you think??

Thank you
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i personally would only pay that much for a modified used car if i knew the owner personally and knew he babied the heck out of it.
w/ that being said, there's that extra reassurance that everything that was done was done with the a sense of detail. that's important just because with cars that have been modified, there's always the chance down the road they'll have more problems, and nobody really wants to buy a car with little things to fix here and there.
but it does look like you have a pretty sweet ride there. 3.5L in a 4g is
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I sanctioned this thread. No whoring. Opinions or GTFO.

(not referring to aznsap)
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM

I think you'd have to sell it to an enthusiast. Any normal person buying a maxima isn't looking for a race car. If you could find a kid that could justify spending $7,000 on your car, because he knows what it is then you'd be lucky with that. Most likely a member of the .org would buy your car. Someone looking for a regular maxima isn't going to spend almost twice as much for your car. Just my thoughts. In all honesty, If I was in the market for a car like this one, I would pay $6-$6500 for it. Asking $7k for it is not bad because if you have to you can come down.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM

aznsap- I agree with your view about not paying that much unless you knew the owner. I have a few guys here that know how I baby this car, streetzlegend, s0ber, nismology, gtr_rider and GoalieKeg to name a few. The only abuse this car ever sees is the track, lol. Which is exactly why I am religious about changing the oil and only use Mobil1 for example.

I know guys that keep a mess in their cars. My engine bay looks just like in that picture, and my interior right now if you see it, there's only a vice grip on the floor, and a clean t-shirt under the passenger seat (for emergencies). I dont even let people eat in my car, lol.

ouzo99max- This is exactly why Im posting it here. I know Im going to have to sell it to an enthusiast. Only an enthusiast will understand the monetary value that Im putting behind the aftermarket parts and the labor behind them all (I've had the car just over 4 yrs now, not once has a "mechanic" touched my car. All the labor has been done by me, so I know exactly whats going on with this car at all times)
Old 06-08-2007, 09:17 AM

about $4,500.00
Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM

This 3.5 4th gen is worth at the bare minimum 5500, BARE minimum. A little bit of detailing work that we'll be doing soon and it will look even better. All the motor parts are in sound working order, mileage is of no concern on this maxima. I have to say that 95BLKMAX's 3.5 4th gen is in overall better shape than mine is.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Man, you can sell that car quick in NYC. These kids what to go fast quick and have the money. I think 7000 out here is a steel. You got alot of end users that are trying to get swaps.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dashan
about $4,500.00
If thats your opinion I'll respect that.

But just for reference's sake, back when Nismo3112 sold his car, he sold it for either $4000-$4500 and for weeks after he would say how he sold it for so little, that the buyer got an ubber deal on that (which he really did), that he could have gotten ALOT more $ out of it, and I agree that his car was worth more, lol.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM

is it in the for sale section yet?

FWIW: goaliekeg's wrx wagon is soo 1337
Old 06-08-2007, 10:50 AM

I know why your doing this. Cause you want that car!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:54 AM

I honestly think that a swapped 3.5, with what you have should go for no LESS than 7000.00. The only problem that us swapped Maximas have is that 1) not many people would consider buying a modded Max(because they dont knw the potential) 2) they really wouldnt know appreciate the rareness of the swap and work to give you the 7000.00, and 3) a lot of people prefer a fast coupe and/or RWD.... thats just my opinion based on my neck of the woods! The first thing people always say when they see it is "it looks nice, but why a Maxima!?" Then when they see it in action, they're like "DAMMN!"

I've had one person offer to buy my car, and they been consistant about it. I've been thinking about it, but I think there's a uniqueness to a Maxima that is swapped that I dont think I would ever sell it.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ouzo99max
is it in the for sale section yet?

FWIW: goaliekeg's wrx wagon is soo 1337
No sir. Like I said Im just looking to see what the car is worth to an enthusiast. The time will come that I do sell the car, so I want to kow what sort of $ I can REALISTICALLY expect when budgeting for the next car's purchase.

Maybe after installing the SFCs I'll like the car a bit more so I'll delay the purchase of the next car a bit more, lol. Im in no hurry to sell. Just saving cash for now, and when I have enough cash on hand, I'll use that as downpayment for the new car, get a loan for the remainder. Sell the Max, and use the $ I make off the Max to pay off the loan (dont like making payments). And I HAVE to do it like that because I HAVE to have a car to get around to school and work, I live waaay too far from work and school to be asking for rides until i buy a car. I bought the car exactly 4yrs ago with 85k miles, now its got 142k. Most of them are from highway because of work and school being so far.

305blackmax97- sush!!! do not speak of that M3 device that's been teasing me for so long, LOL

915Max- Part of the reason I get my "i wanna sell this car" episodes is because of the 3rd point you made.... All this power? at the front wheels??? uh! LOL. It belongs in the rear wheels dang it! Launchin is a mission and a half for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Fuhget About It.....

For the mods you have listed and givin the milage on the car, as long as there is no damage to the engine or tranny due to being boosted its a good price. Like another orger mentioned it would have to be a fellow enthusiast, someone who can appreciate what you have done to the car.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 PM

I never boosted this motor. I got the boost gauge and installed it back before I even got this 3.5, because at the time I was actually going to turbo the car. Already had the turbo, injectors and IC, then this motor came across I HAD to jump on it, lol.

This motor has been an NA monster its whole life, no boost/ blown extra wear
Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX

This motor has been an NA monster its whole life, no boost/ blown extra wear
Well not really an NA monster though, but engine is in great shape, with almost no blowby (rarely empty's catchcan). We took our time in replacing the head gasket and also doing 3.0 > 3.5 swap, and everything was done with no problem. I think the car would be able to go for 6,500/7,000. Did you notice when we go to the track, the kids always say ("oh look, thats a 3.5 swap, lets go check it out"), and they leave my car and go to yours lol (they no care bout my boosted maxima ), So anyways, what im saying is, that any young kid with money will buy the car for w/e you ask. You just gotta know how to market it. Line up with someone on a red light, beat them, then tell him "my car is for sale if ur intersted" lol jk.

btw, NA monster = Cams, EU (ext rev, 2step, adv timing, etc...), etc..
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM

A buyer would think that the car has been abused by the owner becuase of the mods.

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
If thats your opinion I'll respect that.

But just for reference's sake, back when Nismo3112 sold his car, he sold it for either $4000-$4500 and for weeks after he would say how he sold it for so little, that the buyer got an ubber deal on that (which he really did), that he could have gotten ALOT more $ out of it, and I agree that his car was worth more, lol.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Dashan- All modded cars get beat on from time to time. i dont hide the fact that I track this car pretty often. But like I said, I know what Im doing to the car, so I take my precautions, like religiously changin oil, I change spark plugs twice a year, yadidi yadido, etc.... I see your point though, but come on, If you bought a car from an enthusiast, its almost a GIVEN that it got pushed from time to time. So the real question is, did the driver take care of it? you get me?

When I sell this car Im going after a 95 M3, which like a good 75% of all M3s, its gonna have some mods to it and Im sure it got beat on. But because of this, Im gonna want to see the maintenance records, Im going to ask the owner if I could do a compression test on the motor (n check the plugs while Im at it), etc... I've done my HW as to what the car is known to be weak on, so that'd be my primary things to look at, etc....

At the end of the day, its a buyer beware market. I just know the car I have and have plenty of people that can back me up about how I really baby it. So Im not concerned. I bought the car for $4500 4 yrs ago and that was with my ubber haggling skills. But I know with the mods and the level of attention and care that it has right now, I can get alot more than that, even 4yrs later.

Im not bashin you or anything, dont take it the wrong way. Like I said, I asked for opinions, so I appreciate and respect yours- even if it is lowballed in my personal opinion.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 AM

95Blk,
If you want to get that kind of money for it you need to unload it soon. At the end of the day the car is still a FWD 95 body style Maxima. I babied the hell out of my 97, had all the maintenance records and still only managed to get $300 below the "best condition" price listed in Edmonds. I'ver heard on this site and from others as well that the mods you put into a car don't really add any negligible value to the car unless you sell to 1. an enthusiast or 2 you sell to someone who's been admiring your car for awhile. I say unload it now and buy what you've been wanting, you never know when you might meet that telephone pole or nice sturdy tree when sliding into home. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 AM

i would have no problem spending $6000 for the car....
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 AM

95blk,
No one is lowballing you since you are not selling the car. Please report back how much you get for the car later. You want an honest opinion and that is the one.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Project Ruby......

In theory any car that has modifications done to it, depreciates in value. I would spend $5500-6K on it.

I can't justify spending $7k on a 12 year old car, whether it has a the swap and the motor only has 40K on it. For $7k I would try and find a better platform to start with or put a down payment on something newer, RWD.

As much as I want a 3.5 swap, I couldn't spend $7K for a Max that has one. I would just move on to something else.

But I will say you do have a nicely maintained car, that looks sharp. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a 12 year old car whether it has a swap, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, and it runs low 12s all day long. But maybe that is because I am having the feeling of moving on as well.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM

Maxgig, you're right. The longer I wait, the less its gonna go for. I'll keep that in mind for the coming months. And yes I know, i HAVE to sell this car to an enthusiast, lol.

Tony- Werd

Dashan-sure will do. I got this bookmarked so I'll come back on it and report when its gone

4DRSpeed- Werd. Keep in mind tho, I said I was gonna be ASKING for $7000. I do have my minimum price that I'd sell it for already (but of course I wont disclose that, but its not too far from the 7k, lol).

Thank you guys for all the input!!!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 PM

Finally got a chance to get behind the wheel of this today, and what have I been waiting for.. 3.5 > *.swap Anyway, the car pulls like a train in all gears and keeps on trucking! From what I know about the car and have seen, doesnt have much of a startup issue, drives real smooth(other than doodoobutter steering, easy fix-PUT THE BELT ON YOU BUM!), and clean body all around.