4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 AM

Wheel hop

for those of you who think wheel hop isnt that bad for the tranny, well think again. I always knew it was bad for it, but i didnt think it could do so much damage. Well my last round of wheel hop, pretty much killed the tranny. Took some pics

In the first pic, its my tranny dissasembled. typically diff bearing problems. there were 2 chunks missing out of the race for the diff bearing, along with a fair amount of spalling on the bearing itself.

In this picture, this is the magnet, full of metal shavings, along with pieces of metal, which i well get into more detail of later. These pieces were all throughout the tranny.

In the third pic we have my input shaft bearing. Notice anything wrong? Thats what those pieces of metal were that were scattered in my tranny. My educated guess is that the wheel hop took it toll on the input shaft bearing..the bearing cage literally blew up, and i was missing a few ball bearings. Surprisingly enough i was still able to drive it about 5 miles to my work, where it went under the knife.

All the bearings showed some wear, especially the diff bearing..the input was toast, along with the input shaft seal which leaked gear oil all inside my bell housing..luckily it didnt hit my friction disk.

So let this be a lesson to you people. Once you feel wheel hop coming, let off, i learned the hard way, but it was a good learning experience, my first manual tranny rebuild as an apprentice, and with some help, it seems to be doing good! Although shimming was a PITA everything else was pretty straight forward.

Hope you enjoyed it!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 AM

Interesting pictures, but there's probably a "macro" mode on your camera... please use it.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
In the first pic, its my tranny dissasembled. typically diff bearing problems. there were 2 chunks missing out of the race for the diff bearing, along with a fair amount of sparring on the bearing itself.
Sparring is what boxers do.

Spalling is what you are referring to.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 AM

How are your gears? Seems in the 3rd pic the input shaft is beat up. If you think this is bad, you should see my old tranny pictures.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:12 AM

hey guys quick question. I did a search on these forums about wheel hop and now know what it is, but is an example of it those tire marks on the road that seem to go like this: ==== = = = = = instead of ========== ?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 AM

lol thanks eng92..didnt sound right when i was writing it, but it was at midnight lol.

I had to take those pics with my camera phone, because my digi cam was dead.

My biggest problem, was a noise, and it kept locking me out of 1 and 2. But i figure that was because there was so much play, the whole assembly was moving around. It also felt like it "slipped" when i took off in first.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 AM

hey guys quick question. I did a search on these forums about wheel hop and now know what it is, but is an example of it those tire marks on the road that seem to go like this: ==== = = = = = instead of ========== ?

seems to me like you are referring to abs vs. no abs
Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by shissqbob
Yeah, basically. Wheel hop is when you spin the wheels they start to jounce up and down off the pavement. It shakes the entire cabin and produces a ridiculous amount of continuous drivetrain shock.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDvr
seems to me like you are referring to abs vs. no abs
ABS works fast enough that you see no tire marks.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
ABS works fast enough that you see no tire marks.
On my '95 (back when I had ABS, anyway) in a panic stop it'd leave dozens of tiny patches on the road. Maybe an inch long, if that, but the wheels were definitely locking up for short periods at a time.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 PM

I had a buddy shatter his diff cause of wheel hop we just got done replacing it. boy what it was a nightmare
Old 06-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
On my '95 (back when I had ABS, anyway) in a panic stop it'd leave dozens of tiny patches on the road. Maybe an inch long, if that, but the wheels were definitely locking up for short periods at a time.
None of the cars that I've used ABS in (many) have left marks.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 PM

seems like alot more people are rebuilding their transmissions. Im getting interested in it but I want reliable parts in it that can take a beating...where'd you get the new bearings and all that? just stock nissan parts?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by chillin014
seems like alot more people are rebuilding their transmissions. Im getting interested in it but I want reliable parts in it that can take a beating...where'd you get the new bearings and all that? just stock nissan parts?
Thing is, the stock parts are pretty durable.. But like with anything after you beat the hell out of them especially for 10+ years they typically say FAWK YOU at the end of the day.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Thing is, the stock parts are pretty durable.. But like with anything after you beat the hell out of them especially for 10+ years they typically say FAWK YOU at the end of the day.
yeah i hear ya, im just always worried about it. I keep telling myself when this tranny goes out i'll just go buy a vlsd 01 or something but if thats got miles on it i might kill IT too...
Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014

The only way you could make the stock transmission more durable is to shot peen/cryo treat the gears/internal parts. Nealoc187 has good experience with this I believe, he may be a good person to ask about it.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM

Yep, pretty much the tranny had 180K miles of hard driving, never really abused it, the occasional clutch drop, and once or twice played with et streets, but other then that just driven hard. The gears were all fine, bearings, and synchros were replaced with nissan oem parts, and were re-shimmed according to the fsm, i didnt get a chance to measure the shim that was in the tranny originally, so i couldnt tell how much bigger/smaller it was, but there was a fair amount of spalling on the diff and main bearings.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM

None of the cars that I've used ABS in (many) have left marks.

Here's some excerpts from an article online: "First, most ABS versions do allow some degree of "slip" between the tire and road, at least intermittently...My experience suggests that, while ABS-equipped cars sometimes do leave visible tire marks on the road, most often these marks are significantly lighter than those left by non-ABS vehicles...So keep your eye out for those light "dotted line" tire marks, and pay attention to whether the vehicle is equipped with ABS."
Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Ichiban King

OFF TOPIC much?? lol
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM

That's what I was gonna say...this thread topic has nothing to do with abs and if your tires make skid marks when you brake.