4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ecu swap question for Daniel or whoever

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 12:13 PM

I wanted to swap my 1995 gxe (manual) ECU with a stick 1995-1996 SE ecu. Here are my questions.
First - Is this possible?
Second - is it difficult to do?
Third - Any suggestions besides for junkyards where I could find a good deal on one?
Forth - Would having my ECU reprogrammed by one of those places I have read about on here be a better option than installing an SE ECU.

I hate my 120 mph top speed in the gxe and I have the set up to handle a higher top speed.

Also, what place could I send my ECU to that would give me the optimal top speed and hspwr gains?

I appreciate any help the knowledgeable can give.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:08 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by buckwilly4
I wanted to swap my 1995 gxe (manual) ECU with a stick 1995-1996 SE ecu. Here are my questions.
First - Is this possible?
Second - is it difficult to do?
Third - Any suggestions besides for junkyards where I could find a good deal on one?
Forth - Would having my ECU reprogrammed by one of those places I have read about on here be a better option than installing an SE ECU.

I hate my 120 mph top speed in the gxe and I have the set up to handle a higher top speed.

Also, what place could I send my ECU to that would give me the optimal top speed and hspwr gains?

I appreciate any help the knowledgeable can give.

Well gosh, you can just disable the limiter if you want to...
Old 07-19-2001, 07:38 AM

well, if I do that I have heard that you will be running the max with no speedometer or something. How do I do it without affecting any of my other equipment. i have never heard that you could do this without some drawbacks.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

well, if I do that I have heard that you will be running the max with no speedometer or something. How do I do it without affecting any of my other equipment. i have never heard that you could do this without some drawbacks.
Did you read the entire post? If you do it my way, the speedo and cruise control still work. The only drawback is a check engine light.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:51 AM

Ok, I got it...but is there any way to get rid of the check engine light? I mean, I am assuming that the check engine light is because of it detecting the cut wire. But once you reset it wont it just set it off again? I think i will do the mod regardless, so thanks. But I do still think it is sort of ghetto to drive around with the check engine light on, just because there is a purpose for it and it is sort of disabled if anything goes wrong that actually does matter.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:16 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Ok, I got it...but is there any way to get rid of the check engine light? I mean, I am assuming that the check engine light is because of it detecting the cut wire. But once you reset it wont it just set it off again? I think i will do the mod regardless, so thanks. But I do still think it is sort of ghetto to drive around with the check engine light on, just because there is a purpose for it and it is sort of disabled if anything goes wrong that actually does matter.
Both SprintMax and myself have wired switches into this wire. This way you can turn it off for a little while. The light only comes on after the wire is cut for a few minutes...like 20 or so. This way you can have your quick blast up to 135 (my best so far) and then back down with no light.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:36 PM

Well, I think I will try this but can you send me details on how to wire in a switch? I think this would be the best bet instead of getting a whole new ecu. I wish there was a way to just get rid of the check engine light for that diagnosis. Oh well. I do however like this idea. I got the instructions on how to cut the wires from the previous post, but I would like to know how to wire the switch in. Thanks for your help.