4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yet another clutch goes down to the floor problem… little different this time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yet another clutch goes down to the floor problem… little different this time.

Well, a local shop replaced both master & slave cylinders after my clutch pedal stuck and refused to pop out (14mts ago).
Time to time, I still felt my clutch is a lot firmer to press and a few times, the clutch pedal stuck again but always popped out by itself at the following morning….

Today, my clutch pedal felt very hard to depress and made some "spring noise" every times I pressed the clutch pedal.
I finally took my max to another shop and they told me that I have to replace both master & slave cylinder… they also told me that that’s the only thing probably causing this type of problem and I might received the bad master & slave cylinders before.

Any other thoughts? Should I replace the bottom clutch line?.... quoted me $289 with dealer parts to replace both master & slave cylinders.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

normally that is the most common problem but normally one of the two would have shown some kind of leak. I replaced both mine when I had same problem and it turned out to be my throwout bearing. when i pulled my transmission, it was in pieces.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM

ohh damn,......clutches are being a b***h lately.!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM

I hate 5 speed lately.... now I could not even shift the gear and I left my max at walmart parking lot....heck!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM

I cant afford a clutch don't be knockin on wood eeeeeek
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM

mine has the same problem. i have yet to change the master or slave cylinder even though either has any signs of a leak. i just had my clutch changed out 1k miles ago with a5th gen OEM clutch along with a stainless steel line.

im really starting to dislike the max because of this.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM

same here... I loved my max but I'm constantly having this annoying problem.
I had to tow my car twice already....
I've changed my clutch about 30k ago w/ factory clutch so I know my clutch is good at least...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by sickmen
I hate 5 speed lately.... now I could not even shift the gear and I left my max at walmart parking lot....heck!
Let's take it from the top:
1) How's your clutch fluid reservoir?
2) Any leaks? If so, from where?

If u were @ walmart, couldn't you have bought some brake fluid, a 12mm box wrench, and a "cup for water" from the food place? Then you coulda bled it on the spot and got home? Well, I'm assuming it's something to do w/the hydraulic line.

I'm saying this cuz that's what I had to do when my clutch was stuck to the floor. Thumb'd a ride to Target to get the necessary goods, had the nice gentleman push the clutch while I bled. Good enuf to get home!

Jae
Old 07-20-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Let's take it from the top:
1) How's your clutch fluid reservoir?
2) Any leaks? If so, from where?

If u were @ walmart, couldn't you have bought some brake fluid, a 12mm box wrench, and a "cup for water" from the food place? Then you coulda bled it on the spot and got home? Well, I'm assuming it's something to do w/the hydraulic line.

I'm saying this cuz that's what I had to do when my clutch was stuck to the floor. Thumb'd a ride to Target to get the necessary goods, had the nice gentleman push the clutch while I bled. Good enuf to get home!

Jae
your right, my clutch gave out on me too,turned out my resevoir was dry.manage to start the car in 1st and start steering quickly.Reached a stop light, had to start breaking then shut the engine off completely.Green light,started back in 1st and kept on going dragging the black max all the way home and then bleed the line.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:58 AM

I've already checked the resevior... it's always full and I could not see any leaks...weird.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 AM

I went to check on my Max at this morning, and the clutch pedal is still stuck!
It ususally pops out in the morning but that's not the case this morning....

Does anyone know how to bleed the fluid so I could drive my max to a service shop?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sickmen
I went to check on my Max at this morning, and the clutch pedal is still stuck!
It ususally pops out in the morning but that's not the case this morning....

Does anyone know how to bleed the fluid so I could drive my max to a service shop?
Well what i did was......ullhm,if you can find the clutch hose,there will be a little valve looking thing called a bleeder screw,you will have to loosen the bleeder screw and have someone pumping the clutch in order to let out the air and maybe lots of the fluid out of the line until they start feeling the clutch coming back and the clutch starts returning back to its normal position.

that worked for me...........i can be wrong though, lets hear from other members too.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM

I have a:

Brand new 2000 Maxima clutch
Brand new slave and master cylinder
Brand new flex hose

After driving for awhile my clutch pedal makes THAT spring kind of noise when all the way at the bottom.

It's the pedal adjustment.

Why I replaced all those parts:

My clutch used to be great, and after 30 min of driving it would start to slip. I had to relieve pressure from the top bleeder.

Now after trial and error I got it set up, it doesnt slip, but still the pedal is tiny bit stiff, like there is air in the lines. I can bleed it 50 times and after day or two it would still do it..

I invested $700 into new clutch and cylinders, so I just live with it now. It's not bad at all. But I refuse to touch anything down there anymore. And the 50 mechanics I talked to and that looked at my car could not figure it out. The forum members told me though, should have listened to them
Old 07-20-2007, 01:34 PM

awww.... my previous tech told me the samething.
How do you adjust the pedal???? please let me know!
He told me that my pedal was too tight.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 PM

take off your slave cylinder (held on by 2 bolts) and check to see if the release fork looks straight or if you can move it around. when my throuout bearing went i could wiggle the release fork around. i used a small penlight flashlight and could tell it was not behind throwout bearing anymore.