4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Racing with my auto stock this friday.... Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 08:54 PM

yo
Imma represent only NISSAN and only MAXIMA there
imma race the Accord 2001
u think i have a chance?
the car is Stock too
show me some tips on how to start out man
for Power Breaks
I hold both break and accel, then i let the break go and press the gas
but do i do it at the same time or AFTER i let the break off, THEN i press the gas?
teach me~
i gotta represent my MAXIMA yo
Old 07-18-2001, 09:32 PM

I think that takes the cake for the most ghetto post I have ever seen. Why cant you just talk normal. (no offense or anything, I just think it sounds dumb) Later
Old 07-18-2001, 09:39 PM

Actually, just floor it off the line, but watch for wheelhop. Brake torquing won't do much besides make you spin your wheels at takeoff. I have the heavy SE 17"s and can still smoke them just by flooring it.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:13 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

MY HORROR STORY

Sexima ! Remember my long-@ss post. "How to Race an Auto! Look!" ...man did that thing get alot of posts...didnt you read any of it ?!?

Well anyways heres my advice to you.

Your a newbie. I am assuming you havent had your maxima for that long. (or just came into the world of racing and mods)...so when you actually get to the stop light you will probubly be nervous. I definitally was, and still am (sometimes, a lil bit when I am competing) If you try to be all fancy with your auto tranny and start in 1st and try shifting, you might accidently shift into neutral. (BAAAD) I did this, and I almost P!ssed in my pants. My poor car slowed almost to a dead halt, and began shaking as if I had just stalled out in a manual tranny. Well of course I looked like a fool.

Anyways, My advice to you. First of all, YOUR MAX IS NOT WORTH RUINING OVER SOME RICE-BOY IN A CIVIC !!! YOUR CAR IS TOO GOOD...Just accelerate hard in drive. turn your o/d off.

...And ALWAYS give your maxima a good nice kiss before going to bed.

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2001, 10:37 PM

I agree with Medicsonic and Craig Mack -- just get a good launch, floor it off the line.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:40 PM

I've tried it all. I tried the torqueing, didnt do squat! Knocked .03 off my time - not worth it.(I think this .03 was also a combination of having a better reaction time) I have also tried shifting and leaving it in D. Shifting I did go into N, but noticed it immediatley and corrected the problem and still won the race over a Porche!(a mid 80's one, but still a Porche) My advise it to leave it in D and keep O/D off and just floor it when the christmas tree turns on the last yellow light. I too am racing on friday, look in the stickty 1/4 mile post friday night for my times.

K
Old 07-18-2001, 11:57 PM

but u guys think i can beat that Accord 2001?
he knows how to power break too
its stock
he is talking so many sheit about nissan and maxima
so are my other friends..
daymn i feel lonely..
answer my Question if u have raced a accord ^^
thanks
Old 07-19-2001, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Sexima
but u guys think i can beat that Accord 2001?
he knows how to power break too
its stock
he is talking so many sheit about nissan and maxima
so are my other friends..
daymn i feel lonely..
answer my Question if u have raced a accord ^^
thanks
Well, if you are stock and he is stock I think you have a pretty good chance at beeting him, but it should be a close race. What year is your max? Do you have mods?

K
Old 07-19-2001, 03:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Which trim Accord is it?

In any case, my mom owns a 2001 v6 Accord. And it feels so sluggish off the line compared to my Max.

Here's how you race him:

1) Place right foot on accelerator.

2) Press down to increase pressure to gas pedal.

3) The car will move foward.

4) Press down some more to increase pressure again.

5) Repeat step 4 until you beat the Accord.

6)
Old 07-19-2001, 04:41 AM

So you guys think that brake torqueing doesn't work? I don't know, but last time I went racing at the track, I always brake torqued. I'm not sure if it helped or not. Maybe it's better to just have one feet on the brake while the other feet just barely resting on the gas when the third amber hit, release the brake and mash the gas at the same time? I haven't try this yet, I'll try next time and see if it improve my time or not.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:22 AM

RE: Craig Mack is Right...

Make sure overdrive is off. Shift into drive. Accelerate hard, but don't floor it (you will notice your wheels spinning if you do). As you approach 25 MpH, floor it. Your car will accelerate a little and then launch into 2nd. Keep going hard. You have to do all of this while keeping your eye on the road (don't think about the pedal too much). You also have to consider your competition. Is the Accord a V6 (all auto.) or a inline-4 (stick or auto.)? You should be able to out accelerate all of them fairly quickly. But just because you are ahead of him at 30 MpH, don't think you are good to go. You have to stay on the inside of turns and make sure you do not spin out. If he overtakes you, so not try to floor it, but repeat the acceleration process. You will catch up to him. You will out-handle him. Victory is in the hands of the driver, not the car .`
Old 07-19-2001, 05:35 AM

, but I give it about 5 minutes of useful life mzmtg.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:39 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by medicsonic
, but I give it about 5 minutes of useful life mzmtg.

Dont worry, there are many more where that came from.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: RE: Craig Mack is Right...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Make sure overdrive is off.
Overdrive is the last gear which is a highway gear. It won't help you launch faster.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:52 AM

SWEET. Keep using them.
Old 07-19-2001, 06:42 AM

A couple of other things,
1. Empty all of the junk out of your car, espically the trunk.
2. Turn all electrical stuff off. The a/c fan, radio, amps, lights, etc. all draw power from the alternator and the alternator is powered by the engine.
3. Pump up the tires to reduce rolling resistance.
4. Run with the windows up and the a/c off.
5. Let the engine cool off at every opportunity. Your car will make more HP when the under hood temperatures are lower.
6. If you are due for an oil change, make sure that you use an oil formulated for better gas mileage and go with the lightest recommended weight (5w30). DO NOT OVERFILL!
7. Replace or remove the air filter.
Old 07-19-2001, 06:57 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by sinewave
A couple of other things...

3. Pump up the tires to reduce rolling resistance.

7. Replace or remove the air filter.
You want to pump up the rear tires for less resistance, but you want to let the fronts down 5 or so psi to get a good contact patch for traction.

Removing the air filter makes so small of a difference that it's not even worth the small effort it takes.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Removing the air filter makes so small of a difference that it's not even worth the small effort it takes.
Unless it is dirty and hasn't been changed in 50K miles.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:24 AM

Thanks for that award mzt..
N E WAYS ^^
My maxima is '98.

And Overdrive off the whole race?
you gotta be kidding?

well, other cars gonna be there is
soupe up lexus
soupe up prelude...
soupe up accord...
sigh... i wish i had that fast and the furious maxima ^^
Old 07-19-2001, 08:53 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Sexima
Thanks for that award mzt..
N E WAYS ^^
My maxima is '98.
No Problem

And Overdrive off the whole race?
you gotta be kidding?
Musta been. O/D off will make no difference since it has no effect on shifting at all ever, and you wouldnt be wanting to get out of 3rd gear anyway. To sum it up, leave the shifter in "D".

well, other cars gonna be there is
soupe up lexus
soupe up prelude...
soupe up accord...
sigh... i wish i had that fast and the furious maxima ^^
The fast and furious maxima isnt all that fast in the grand scheme of things. But, it's probably faster than those cars you listed.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:31 AM
Licensed to Spell

Why 'D'?

All of you said to keep it in 'D'. Why is that? Correct me if I am wrong but I am a big believer of starting in '1', either power brake or don't power brake, and then shift to '2' at 6-7k r.p.m.s without taking my foot of the gas, and then either leaving it in '2' or shifting to 'D' (overdrive off) at/near red-line if it is a long race. Why do you guys feel 'D' is better?

P.s. Sexima, I do have to agree with ZWW21. Using correct grammar, puncuation and spelling will make you come across as much more mature and intelligent. No offense, just my opinion.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:31 AM

O/D off makes no difference? I disagree. At least in my car I have noticed that when it is turned off, the gears shift at 6500 rpm instead of 6000 rpm. And yes this has made quite a difference in times. But then again this is just my experience.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:39 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by mechanic
O/D off makes no difference? I disagree. At least in my car I have noticed that when it is turned off, the gears shift at 6500 rpm instead of 6000 rpm. And yes this has made quite a difference in times. But then again this is just my experience.
You're the only person I can remember that had this make a difference.

Leaving the shifter in D gives you one less thing to bother with while racing. If you floor it from a start you are starting in forst gear anyway.

I'm going to the track this Friday too. I'll try all these things for my self and let you guys know.

D & no power brake
D & power brake
self shift
O/D on and off

Every combo I can think of, and I'll post the time slips...
Old 07-19-2001, 10:27 AM
Licensed to Spell

Sweet!

Leaving the shifter in D gives you one less thing to bother with while racing. If you floor it from a start you are starting in forst gear anyway.

**** Sure mzmtg but now you can 'hold' it in 1st longer up to higher r.p.m.s.

I'm going to the track this Friday too. I'll try all these things for my self and let you guys know.

D & no power brake
D & power brake
self shift
O/D on and off

Every combo I can think of, and I'll post the time slips...

***** mzmtg, that would be awesome! Good thinking. I'd really like to see your results. Thanks for taking the time to do that and share with us. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by mechanic
Yea. Over-drive lets you stay in the gears longer. And your car gives a louder, more aggressive sound when its off. And, hey, even if it doesnt help you off the line, it couldnt hurt!!

Like I said, about starting out in 1st and shifting into drive...you will be nervous at this lil race, and possibly could really **** it all up by shifting into Neutral or even reverse !!! Just be safe for this one, it'll make the race alot more easier on you.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

And your car gives a louder, more aggressive sound when its off.
I actually never heard of this before.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

I actually never heard of this before.
You know when your on the high-way, and you turn off your O/D..when you push the gas you can hear your car go Vrrrrrrmph louder! Or at least I can. Proly not at the low speeds tho.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:02 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You know when your on the high-way, and you turn off your O/D..when you push the gas you can hear your car go Vrrrrrrmph louder! Or at least I can. Proly not at the low speeds tho.
On the highway, when you switch of O/D, it shifts down from 4th to 3rd. When you floor it...it does the same thing, the same way.

Ever hear of psycho-acoustics. You think you're going faster, so you think its louder. But you're not and it's not.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:12 PM

On the highway, when you switch of O/D, it shifts down from 4th to 3rd. When you floor it...it does the same thing, the same way.

Ever hear of psycho-acoustics. You think you're going faster, so you think its louder. But you're not and it's not.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 07-19-2001, 01:29 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Actually, I think Craig has earned this more, I'm revoking the award from Sexima and bestowing it upon Craig...

Old 07-19-2001, 03:09 PM

mtzgat or whatever...chill out

Actually, I think Craig has earned this more, I'm revoking the award from Sexima and bestowing it upon Craig...

Geez, I guess I should go sit in my room all day and study hard on all this maxima stuff, huh ?

I AM NOT WORTHY!

Go for a little jog (if you can handle it) and chill out, these posts and threads are supposed to help people. Take your smart-*** comments elsewhere...
Old 07-19-2001, 04:09 PM
Licensed to Spell

What else?

O.k., we heard some good points about ditching the spare tire/jack, etc., rolling up windows, no accessories on, coorl down the engine, etc. Those are all good points. I'm wondering if there is anything else to do even if just for the day of.

What about octane booster or another kind of gas additive? Do those do anything?

What about what I see some people do at the track and remove the headlight on the side of the intake? (I imagine this is only beneficial for those with a cone intake).

Is it worth putting back on stock 15s instead of aftermarket 16s/17s?

What is the tire pressure rule? Increase the rear and decrease the front?

What about having the heat on? I've heard mixed results about that.

Make sure you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas!

Cut a small piece of wood to sit within the shift gate to go from D to P to prevent you from shifting into N while driving?! LOL

There must be some more little tricks. What else guys?
Old 07-19-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: What else?

Is it worth putting back on stock 15s instead of aftermarket 16s/17s?
I forgot about that one, should be some serious gains there! Also, going from the stock size of 205/65R15 to 205/50R15 would be a reduction in circumfrence (and reduction in final drive gear ratio) of 10.5%.

What about having the heat on? I've heard mixed results about that.
Down here, every little bit of heat dissipation you can get will help.

Make sure you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas!
I forgot about that one too; gasoline weighs about 7.5 lbs/gal. Leaving out 10 gallons is like dropping 75 pounds.

You could also unplug the dropping resistor for the a/t. It will shift VERY hard, and I wouldn't recommend running it like that for long, but you would COMPLETELY eliminate the delay between shifts.

I've also heard that Pep Boys has some spring spacers for about $20. You could insert them in the rear springs to keep more of the weight on the front wheels.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:08 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

turn car off when waiting to race
push the car as much as you can instead of starting it
if you have to start it run heat on full blast
but dont do this while you race
throw in octane boost
1/4 tank of gas or whatever you prefer
go on yellow NOT green
Dont shift yourself
Dont worry about O/D your in WOT the whole time
Windows up
A/C off
All accesories off
Race with parking lights, turn on headlights at end
Brake tourque at about 1,800, if you slip then go down another 200 RPM's its all about expirence, you will find a good lauch for your car after about 4 runs
Old 07-19-2001, 09:19 PM

Also you could lose some weight! Thats why I always get a 75 pound midget to race for me
Old 07-19-2001, 09:25 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by DaPlayer
Also you could lose some weight! Thats why I always get a 75 pound midget to race for me
definatly, cant go wrong with a midget
Old 07-19-2001, 10:04 PM

It's only a race... you'll loose some and then again you will probally win some...
Old 07-19-2001, 11:03 PM

Hahaha, I'll have to try that midgit one.

K
Old 07-19-2001, 11:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

Huh?

Originally posted by maxse91
turn car off when waiting to race
push the car as much as you can instead of starting it
if you have to start it run heat on full blast
but dont do this while you race
throw in octane boost
1/4 tank of gas or whatever you prefer
go on yellow NOT green
Dont shift yourself
Dont worry about O/D your in WOT the whole time
Windows up
A/C off
All accesories off
Race with parking lights, turn on headlights at end
Brake tourque at about 1,800, if you slip then go down another 200 RPM's its all about expirence, you will find a good lauch for your car after about 4 runs

**** I was with you 100% until the parking lights/headlights. What do you mean? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:12 AM

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by ptatohed

**** I was with you 100% until the parking lights/headlights. What do you mean? Thanks.
You MUST have your parking lights on when you go down the track so that if you crash the tower will know. Once you cross the finish line it is best to turn on your headlights(since most of the drags happen at night you will need the light to navigate your way back to the start area). Hope this helps.

K

Quick Reply: Racing with my auto stock this friday.... Tips?