4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Progress coilovers or GC with shortened Koni yellows?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Progress coilovers or GC with shortened Koni yellows?

Hi,
My car is DD and I will be autocrossing once a month or so. The roads I drive to work and school are pretty much average to smooth. I want to drop no lower than 1.5-1.6 inches. Moreover, my goal is to have a stiff and controllable (but not teeth jarring and kindey shaking) ride with good Handling and reliability.
After tons of reading and comparing prices I narrowed my choice down to these two. Cattman co's are $1,099 till Aug 10th while new konis + Ground Controls+new dustboots (old ones are pretty bad) will cost me about $1k plus extra installation time and some tools. By my understanding Cattman CO's does not have a damper adjustments while with GC/Koni I will be able to adjust the dampers. However, I could not find reviews on cattman CO's on 4th gen but I read some threads about GC/Koni setup.
So my question for people who actually used any of the above setup:

1. Do I lose suspension travel with Cattman Co's after lowering or the suspension travel will be independent from drop like other coilovers?

2. Are you happy with the Cattman CO's pre-set damper setting or is it too soft/ too stiff for you?

3. GC/Koni vs Cattman CO's -which one and why?
Please help. Any suggestions/conserns are welcome and I'm also open to (of course reasonable ones lol). Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Schnell kaputt

The Progress' have shortened strut bodies so you will have good travel with a moderate drop. They're very comfortable for street so I'd think you'll want to order stiffer springs (default 8/6.25kg) and get the struts revalved. I would have no problem recommending these. In your case it sounds like the GC/Koni's would be right up your alley.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Either one sounds like a good way to go. How much are the Progress coilovers regularly?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by skuccio's max
Either one sounds like a good way to go. How much are the Progress coilovers regularly?
In group deal section it says "1295 regularly" and I'm still not sure which one to get.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bonka
The Progress' have shortened strut bodies so you will have good travel with a moderate drop. They're very comfortable for street so I'd think you'll want to order stiffer springs (default 8/6.25kg) and get the struts revalved. I would have no problem recommending these. In your case it sounds like the GC/Koni's would be right up your alley.
Thanks for the input
Default spring rates sounds fine to me and I'm sure that struts are valved perfectly for most people to be happy with. I still don't get it- why still I should go with GC/Koni setup. Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to suspension...
Another noob question-what is the "initial turn in response"? By my understanding it refers to how quickly car responds to steering inputs (like Buick or like BMW lol) or does it means something else?
I'm not sure if "initial turn in response" would be the same in both setups...

Anyone else with either setup please chime in and I will be happy to hear/read your comments/ concerns about it.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 AM

bump- any other inputs will be appriciated
Old 08-01-2007, 01:41 PM

i hear GC + koni yellows = awesome setup.