4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing the third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Removing the third brake light

When I bought my car it didnt have a spoiler, so I added one which made the third brake light obsolete. It was never really an issue until as of late where all it seems to do is rattle. I am just curious as to what the best method would to remove the light altoghether ?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM

I just ordered a spoiler too and was thinking this same question. I think I will try to remove this coming weekend unless there is going to be a large hole there. Anyone know?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM

I know you have to have a 3rd brake light or you will get pulled over.

Are you guys using stock spoilers or aftermarkets with no brake lights?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Ridin' Spinnaz

The third brake light is hard to remove if you don't know how to do it...I ended up breaking one of the tabs on mine and it kept moving around until I 3M taped it in place. I'd suggest looking in the owner's manual (there are instructions there since you must remove it to change the bulb).

Originally Posted by hybridc24k
I just ordered a spoiler too and was thinking this same question. I think I will try to remove this coming weekend unless there is going to be a large hole there. Anyone know?
There will be a large square-shaped hole with two metal brackets (which the 3rd brake light mounts onto) sticking out of it. If you wanted to remove it altogether, you'd need a new rear deck from a car that came factory with a spoiler, or else find some matching carpet and some foam and try to patch it up. You'll also need to bend down or cut off the two metal brackets. When I finally get my spoiler, I'm just going to leave the third brake light there to avoid the hole.

Originally Posted by darklegend06

As dark said, you need either the LED strip or third brake light as required by law. Or both.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by darklegend06

You do not NEED a third brake light.The SE models do not have them.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by hybridc24k

You will have a hole in the rear decklid. You can either cut some thin wood the same shape as the decklid using the original as a templateand recover it or get a decklid from another vehicle that doesnt have the third brake light and swap them out.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM

The spoiler came with a LED brake light which I use. I actually unplugged the third brake light in my car way back when I had the spoiler installed. Just curious though, My uncle helped me to disconnect the third brake light, but I cannot remember how we got the seats to come down to access that back panel. Also, does anyone know if the light for the spoiler brake light is in anyway tied into the third brake light at all ?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by chefmaurod
The spoiler came with a LED brake light which I use. I actually unplugged the third brake light in my car way back when I had the spoiler installed. Just curious though, My uncle helped me to disconnect the third brake light, but I cannot remember how we got the seats to come down to access that back panel. Also, does anyone know if the light for the spoiler brake light is in anyway tied into the third brake light at all ?

The back seat is bolted down on the sides. If you pull on the outer edge andlook behind it youwillwilla brace bolted down.
The spoiler's led will need to be spliced onto the tail lights brake wire.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
The back seat is bolted down on the sides. If you pull on the outer edge andlook behind it youwillwilla brace bolted down.
The spoiler's led will need to be spliced onto the tail lights brake wire.
Thanks for your help. I think the spoiler LED is already spliced into the back lights so I should be ok in that aspect.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
No more Maximas...

You do not NEED a third brake light.The SE models do not have them.
SE's have an LED strip in the spoiler, which is their third brake light. CHMSL doesn't matter if it's in a spoiler or on the rear deck.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Wants a real car

Yesm you need the third brake light. besides its not much a bonus to the appearance of your car without the thrid brake light.

Theres a mod you can do. If you dont want to get the whole rear deck from an SE model. You can drill the hole out right through to the trunk. You may have to re route some wires out of the way, nothing major.

Then find some plastic trim, and make it into a kind of port to the trunk. this gives your sound system a nice sound. especially when you have subs. Make sure you use some mesh so you dont drop things into the trunk. and makes it look better

I might do a write up on this, but theres not much demand for it.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Boosted Panda

Well here in Texas we are required to have to have at least two working brake lights. It doesnt state anywhere that the Third brake light is mandatory.
I have read that all car manufacturers began installing the third brake light in the mid eighties to increase safety.
How does everyone know its an actual law to have the third one? I cant seem to find that info.

20.26 Stop Lamp. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps, except that passenger cars and trucks manufactured or assembled prior to the model year 1960 shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp.

At least two stop lamps are required on all motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers, except that at least one stop lamp is required on all motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and all 1959 model year and earlier passenger cars and trucks.

A stop lamp must emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, and be visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight. The stop lamp shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

Stop lamp lens must be of a type meeting Department of Public Safety standards.

1. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Required lamp or lamps are not present.

b. Lamp is not securely mounted to the vehicle.

c. Lamp does not emit a red or amber light which is actuated on application of the service (foot) brake.

d. Lamp is not visible from a minimum distance of 300 feet to the rear of the vehicle to which it is attached.

e. Lamp lens is painted, missing, discolored, or does not fit properly.

f. Wiring is shoddy or electrical connections are poor.

g. Lamp projects a glaring or a dazzling light.

h. Lamp is not mounted on rear of vehicle.

i. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE: Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...ejectsubmit=Go
Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Well here in Texas we are required to have to have at least two working brake lights. It doesnt state anywhere that the Third brake light is mandatory.
I have read that all car manufacturers began installing the third brake light in the mid eighties to increase safety.
How does everyone know its an actual law to have the third one? I cant seem to find that info.
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting
In 1986, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada mandated that all new passenger cars have a CHMSL installed. Because Elizabeth Dole was Secretary of Transportation at the time, these lights were occasionally referred to as "Dole lights". A CHMSL was required on all new light trucks and vans starting in 1994. CHMSLs are so inexpensive to incorporate into a vehicle that even if the lamps prevent only a few percent of rear end collisions they remain a cost-effective safety feature.
Originally Posted by http://preview.tinyurl.com/ypq3ey
Center High Mounted Stop Lamps (CHMSL) have been standard equipment on all new passenger cars sold in the United States since model year 1986 and all new light trucks since model year 1994, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. The purpose of CHMSL is to safeguard a car or light truck from being struck in the rear by another vehicle
So apparently it's been required by the FMVSS, and I believe it's illegal to remove a third brake light if it came stock on your vehicle...kinda like removing other safety features (ABS, SRS systems, etc).
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Wants a real car

well they are designed for a few things.

1. in the day time they light up bright so its may be easier to tell between brakes and no brakes. (for the idiots who drive with their running lights on during the day)

2. A secondary function of these is for in fog or dark weather to make it easier to identify what kind of vehicle there is infront of you.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by pmohr
So apparently it's been required by the FMVSS, and I believe it's illegal to remove a third brake light if it came stock on your vehicle...kinda like removing other safety features (ABS, SRS systems, etc).

Ive gone to both of those sites, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that they concluded tests that proved them to help avoid accidents even if it was a low percentage.
The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards made it a federal law for auto manufacturers to include them since they did help avoid accidents and cost very little to make and include them in all the vehicles being manufactured.
Nothing states that it is illegal to remove them, just illegal for manufactures to build cars without them. I dont know though, I still havent read anywhere stating it is mandatory for the driver to have a third brake light.
I really doubt that removing ABS is illegal also. Many vehicles have there ABS go out and still pass inspections and are legal to drive without it.
Air bags are a diferent story though.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

flava is right...and my led spoiler has been burnt out for sometime and i've been in front of my fair share of cops with brakes on...mmm didnt get pulled over...therefore NOT A LAW...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Just finished taking it out. It was actually really simple. Just two plastic clips and it came right out. As for the hole, its nothing a Yankees hat can't take care of
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by WildMax87
flava is right...and my led spoiler has been burnt out for sometime and i've been in front of my fair share of cops with brakes on...mmm didnt get pulled over...therefore NOT A LAW...
Just because you haven't been pulled over doesn't mean it's not against the law. Ever changed lanes without a signal and not been pulled over? Followed too closely? Sped? Usually a LEO will have something better to do than pull someone over for a simple lighting infraction.

It also depends on state, around here you'll get pulled over for a brake light out.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM

It just depends on the state. In NC if the third brake light is out, the car will FAIL inspection. I have first-hand knowledge!I had managed to get passed two years in a row with it not working, and then last year,I was failed (I even posted about it a while back)..Interestingly though, the reverse lights are NOT on the list (yet)
My reverse lights stopped working well over four years ago...

EDIT:
Remember that NHTSA's role is partly to demonstrate that their mandates result in increased safety numbers (they ARE a govt body). Look at INDEPENDENT studies and you'll see that most say there was no SIGNIFICANT difference in having three lights vs. two. Reaction time of the driver is the key variable that most of these studies found, and the CHMSL didn't really help improve that...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM

The spoiler i got also has a third brake light in it. Just thought Id remove the old one in the rear deck but since there will be a hole, forget it. Haha.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 PM

I have been meaning to find an SE rear deck since I've installed my subs. I got a spoiler package when we got the car, so I dont need the rear deck light. That third brake light is the only thing that really rattles. I figured I could just reappolster the rear deck, but that takes too much effort. And the whole port thing just seems strange. I've just been procrastinating on buying the SE rear deck. I did manage to get the light housing to temperarely stop rattling. You can stuff paper towels under the rear deck, around the break light, to push the deck up : ).
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 PM

I guess depending on what state you live in, it starts to matter if you need the third brake light or not.

But here in IL, my sister and I have been pulled over for having a burnt out third brake light. Lucky it was a warning.

Now I check maybe once every month to check if my any of my brake lights are out.