4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sun Roof Visor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 11:04 AM

Does anyone know of an easy way to clean the outside(black side facing glass) portion of the Sun Roof Visor.

When you tilt the glass up from the back, there is not enough room to get a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there, and when you slide the glass back the visor goes with it, and you don't have access to it.

I would like to clean it. Mine is filled with dust and junk, I guess that blew in while the roof was open and it look horrible from the out side.

Thanks

Nick
Old 07-20-2001, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Nicks98gle
Does anyone know of an easy way to clean the outside(black side facing glass) portion of the Sun Roof Visor.

When you tilt the glass up from the back, there is not enough room to get a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there, and when you slide the glass back the visor goes with it, and you don't have access to it.

I would like to clean it. Mine is filled with dust and junk, I guess that blew in while the roof was open and it look horrible from the out side.

Thanks

Nick
All right here is what I did - this may or may not work for you - I got a vacuum and put it in the sunroof as much as I could - and then from the inside of the car I opened the sunroof just in the back so it was up - but not open all the way - and pushed back the cover slowly and it got all the stuff from out of the sunroof - try that and see if it works for you.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Visor Cleaning...

You could do what IsaWorld told you, but this could also affect the operation of the visor during sunroof operation. The easiest way is to use a blow dryer to blow the dirt out of the crevice. You must do this before you wash the car, so that the dirt will be rinsed off the car afterwards. If this does not work (assuming the dirt is harshly molded to the surface), you can use a high pressure water hose to force the dirt out. After this, try using the tip of a wet rag to scoop the remaining dirt out. I used to work in the detailing business, and I would use high pressure nozzle to force the dirt out (however this wasn't a commonly cleaned part - only with $$$ detailing service). Just trying to help .
Old 07-20-2001, 03:07 PM

Would a air hose or a leaf blower work to clean the shade i hope to try this soon
Old 07-20-2001, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Air Hose / Leaf Blower...

I believe the air hose would work, but I am not sure about the leaf blower. They are concentrated to blow large areas, with less concentrated pressure. However I have never tried one and it cannot hurt to try. Just trying to help.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:20 PM
B.C.

Re: RE: Air Hose / Leaf Blower...

No suggestions here just expressing my frustrations also with cleaning our sunroof shades. Seems Nissan could have designed some sort of quick-release mechanism to drop the shade enabling easier cleaning.