4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got an alignment after coilovers and this is result. *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM

got an alignment after coilovers and this is result. *pics*

got the ksports on and went to get an alignment.
this is what they showed me:

the guy really didn't seem to know what he was talking about.
i told them i had aftermarket adj coilovers so i don't know why they couldn't of fixed this. i picked the car up right before they closed plus had to go somewhere so i didn't have much time to talk. i'm going back tomm to tell them to fix it.

for camber adjustment, they can just play around with the top plate and the spindle right?
what about toe?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

rear toe is non adjustable on a maxima no matter what you have, so somehting is probably bent.

For the camber in the front, yes it can be fixed using the ksport camber plates, but most shops will not do that under a normal alignment. On a maxima a normal alignment consists of adjusting the toe, thats it. If you want them to mess around with your camber plates you may have to pay more.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
rear toe is non adjustable on a maxima no matter what you have, so somehting is probably bent.

For the camber in the front, yes it can be fixed using the ksport camber plates, but most shops will not do that under a normal alignment. On a maxima a normal alignment consists of adjusting the toe, thats it. If you want them to mess around with your camber plates you may have to pay more.

alright, thanks, i'll do this tomm
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM

I went to get an alignment today also. A long time family friend, so I went to him. Anyhow, I ended up with the toe fixed, and its all aligned, however he didnt do anything to the spindle or the upper plate...should he have? He said that I was over 2" off in my toe(my right far was off, the left was ok).

Oh, and vlasic, what's your ground to wheel well measurement? how bout you g4nismo? Im down to 25.75 all around.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 PM

I need an alignment soon.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
I went to get an alignment today also. A long time family friend, so I went to him. Anyhow, I ended up with the toe fixed, and its all aligned, however he didnt do anything to the spindle or the upper plate...should he have? He said that I was over 2" off in my toe(my right far was off, the left was ok).

Oh, and vlasic, what's your ground to wheel well measurement? how bout you g4nismo? Im down to 25.75 all around.

the rears are at about 25.75 and the fronts are kinda slightly uneven, maybe about a quater of an inch. fronts are around 25.5

will post pics later
Old 08-29-2007, 09:28 PM

The total rear toe is still in spec so they should adjust the thrust and then your only issue is the rf camber wich is easy to fix with camber kits of some sort.

Looks to me like your car probly drifts left a bit
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 00SEMAX19
The total rear toe is still in spec so they should adjust the thrust and then your only issue is the rf camber wich is easy to fix with camber kits of some sort.

Looks to me like your car probly drifts left a bit

yeh, the total rear toe is "barely" in spec. and for the thrust angle, they can adjust that on our rear axles?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
maxima985spd

Make sure your camber plates on your KSports are set in the middle. Then go back and see what kind of alignment they give you. I'm really low and I've never had trouble with an alignment.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I dont know, Ive never measured it, I can do it tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
Make sure your camber plates on your KSports are set in the middle. Then go back and see what kind of alignment they give you. I'm really low and I've never had trouble with an alignment.

yeh about that...went back today and had a little talk.
the driver side is at the middle, i guess the way it came.
the passenger however is all the way to the left, like as far as it will go.
before adjusting the camber angle when it was at the middle, it was running like -2 to almost -3 degrees for the front passenger side he said.
so yeh, he moved it all the way to the left side as far as it will go without sacrificing too much gap between the camber plate bolts. so the range for the camber is -1 to .5, and obviously its at -1.1, only off by -.1 so i don't know... thats not much, but i would like to get it to 0 as close as possible.
he also said other possible factors that could contribute to this could be a bent control arm or something. i had the driver side replaced but passenger is still the original one. i can't think of a time when i could of bent my control arm up...

i also asked him if he messed around the lower 2 bolts and he said, no cause those don't effect the camber. don't see how this could be b/c can't you still get more play by loosing those and moving it around to get more angle for the spindle?

as for the pulling, the caster angle should effect that but there all within spec. so he suggested maybe getting the tires rotated???? but i had them rotated like a month ago.....
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The lower strut bolts can be adjusted to affect toe and camber. The holes on the ksport coilover are larger than the actual bolt that goes through so there is some adjustability there. And a little negative camber is good. Helps keep you more planted on hard cornering.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
The lower strut bolts can be adjusted to affect toe and camber. The holes on the ksport coilover are larger than the actual bolt that goes through so there is some adjustability there. And a little negative camber is good. Helps keep you more planted on hard cornering.

i know! thats exactly what i was thinking but the tech was being a little b$tch about it. started saying like oh i been doing this for years what about you and bla bla.

and i know a little neg camber is good for that purpose but its totally uneven compared to the driver. i would rather save my tires. its not like i track it all the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
What is the ideal amount of negative camber youd want to do for a street driven car? I dont want to be going through sets of tires every 6 months. Something like 1 degree of negative camber?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
What is the ideal amount of negative camber youd want to do for a street driven car? I dont want to be going through sets of tires every 6 months. Something like 1 degree of negative camber?

no, you want it to be closest to zero as possible for even tire wear or else your gonna get inner tire wear
Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
maxima985spd

i would slap those camber plates right in the middle and tell that betch to put it right between -.5 and 0. Your camber shouldn't be messed up like that if you are only down like 1.5 inches

but if he cant do that i would go to a different shop. what shop is this tool at?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
i would slap those camber plates right in the middle and tell that betch to put it right between -.5 and 0. Your camber shouldn't be messed up like that if you are only down like 1.5 inches

but if he cant do that i would go to a different shop. what shop is this tool at?

i can't set the passenger to the middle. like i said, when it was at the middle, camber angle was like -2 to -3 degrees. so he had to slide it all the way to the left. i don't know why its like this for the passenger, driver is totally fine.

took my car to kar kare in columbia, sc
Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

if you set the camber plates to the middle and pushed the bottom of the struts all the way and tighten the 2 bolts you may be able to straighten it out. the thing with car shops is if they don't deal with custom parts they don't know much about them. wouldn't get too mad about it, its just not their niche. all else fails find a tuner shop.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
maxima985spd

Then something is messed up with your suspension components. post a picture of your camber plates

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by g4nismo
i can't set the passenger to the middle. like i said, when it was at the middle, camber angle was like -2 to -3 degrees. so he had to slide it all the way to the left. i don't know why its like this for the passenger, driver is totally fine.

took my car to kar kare in columbia, sc
Ok here is what you need to do;

Set the camber plate to the middle, then jack up your car, take off the wheel, or if you have tools to reach behind and loosen the bottom strut bolts than do that. The holes on the lower mount of the ksports are bigger than the bolt so if you just loosen the bolts the bottom of the mount can slide around and adjust your camber. Loosen them up and move it around to try and even it out or get it close to the middle, then use the camber plate to fine tune it.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM

My car is set at -1.0 and -1.1 in the front and I'm not seeing any excessive inner edge wear. -1.0 is the limit for factory specs.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Im at 24.5" all around with 17" wheels.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Valsic, and Nismo, thanks for the measurements. I'm at 25.75 all around on steelies. I'm not sure why your camber is off, it shouldn't be with you that low. Id take vlasic's advice and try that. I'm running about the same height but if I adjusted, I could run neutral camber.

Man, I have another Q. The guy that I went to is a long time family friend, and is a good price, but I guess he's just old fashioned or something. I didn't get a pretty little print out of all my specs. He just aligned everything with all of the adjustment bolts...

Oh, and one of my upper plates is all the way to the left, it was aligned that way yesterday. Should I center it and take it back and have them adjust it?

Nismo, don't you love these little issues that come with our newly beloved Ksports?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Ok here is what you need to do;

Set the camber plate to the middle, then jack up your car, take off the wheel, or if you have tools to reach behind and loosen the bottom strut bolts than do that. The holes on the lower mount of the ksports are bigger than the bolt so if you just loosen the bolts the bottom of the mount can slide around and adjust your camber. Loosen them up and move it around to try and even it out or get it close to the middle, then use the camber plate to fine tune it.

alright, i'll just tell him to do that tomm.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Valsic, and Nismo, thanks for the measurements. I'm at 25.75 all around on steelies. I'm not sure why your camber is off, it shouldn't be with you that low. Id take vlasic's advice and try that. I'm running about the same height but if I adjusted, I could run neutral camber.

Man, I have another Q. The guy that I went to is a long time family friend, and is a good price, but I guess he's just old fashioned or something. I didn't get a pretty little print out of all my specs. He just aligned everything with all of the adjustment bolts...

Oh, and one of my upper plates is all the way to the left, it was aligned that way yesterday. Should I center it and take it back and have them adjust it?

Nismo, don't you love these little issues that come with our newly beloved Ksports?

it would really help if he provided a pic of all the specs like mine.

and yes, seems like your experiencing the same thing i am. it would really help if you knew what camber you are running to see how much adj you need but i guess generally you want it as close to the middle as possible.

i adj the height twice now and its such a pain in the ***, jack the car, take the wheel off, unbolt, twist, torque back bla bla bla omg. thats why i set it to where its at despite it not being 100% even.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

If they moved your plate all the way to the left to align it then you probably have the same issue as g4nismo. Really the only way to have neutral camber and have the plate centered is to make sure that the lower mount is centered.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by z32drifter
My car is set at -1.0 and -1.1 in the front and I'm not seeing any excessive inner edge wear. -1.0 is the limit for factory specs.

how long have you been running on that setup?

see at least your running an almost even setup as far as camber goes.
i don't track much, except this weekend
i just want a neutral setup so i can avoid uneven wear...
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM

If they moved your plate all the way to the left to align it then you probably have the same issue as g4nismo. Really the only way to have neutral camber and have the plate centered is to make sure that the lower mount is centered.
I moved it. When I put it on, it was horrible off...toe was out by 2", camber was in by 1/2 inch...I adjusted that and that fixed [most of] it.

Nismo, you dont have to unbolt the struts. Jack it up, take the wheel off. Then, using two of the wrenches, tighten the power perch onto the upper collar as hard as possible. Then use the wrench to spin the lower perch(which, with the upper collar so tight on it), it should spin the whole threaded rod down into the lower strut mount. Much easier :P
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Yeah your not suppose to unbolt the strut, youll just mess up your camber again.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Wow...having issues. G4, hope you don't mind me kinda butting in considering we're having similar issues and I don't want to really start a new thread.

Today we had a heavy rain with flash floods on the roads. I was turning right at a light at a decent speed(I'm running on steelies with cheaper potenzas, and it was oily and wet, but didn't lose traction), and I hit a deep puddle and I heard a click/pop and my alignment was horribly out. Now, its loose again. I take a left turn, my alignment centers out(close to it). I take a right turn, it goes right. Any ideas on what might have popped or come loose to do this? Im pretty sure it came from the right(front obviously).
Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 PM

alright, got it realigned and everything is okay now.

front left camber set to : 0.1
front right camber set to : 0.2

but now i'm getting clicking popping sounds from the one that got readjusted.....sigh

i'll fix it laterrr....
Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

Wow...having issues. G4, hope you don't mind me kinda butting in considering we're having similar issues and I don't want to really start a new thread.

Today we had a heavy rain with flash floods on the roads. I was turning right at a light at a decent speed(I'm running on steelies with cheaper potenzas, and it was oily and wet, but didn't lose traction), and I hit a deep puddle and I heard a click/pop and my alignment was horribly out. Now, its loose again. I take a left turn, my alignment centers out(close to it). I take a right turn, it goes right. Any ideas on what might have popped or come loose to do this? Im pretty sure it came from the right(front obviously).

check and see if your two strut bolts came loose or something. those should be torqued to about 110lbs, and top camber plate bolts to about 50lbs.

yeh my right side is now clicking after it got readjusted. i might have to go back and retighten everything when i get the chance.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM

another awesome thing, on the way back, a lady in an expedition gave me a love tap.

now i have imprints of the license plate bolts on my rear bumper.
new bumper and paint time