4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel Martin, Can you please post again on how to do the always ready cruise mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 12:14 AM

I remember you posting this a long time ago but I couldnt find anything with the search function. How long did it take you to do this? Is it pretty east to do? Thanks and Take Care
Old 07-24-2001, 01:27 AM

I now have all of Daniel B. Martin's answers set up as macros on my computer. This one can be accessed using the macro CRTL+L SHIFT+CC:

This modification eliminates the need to use the dashboard cruise control switch. The dashboard switch light will be on whenever the ignition is on, indicating that the cruise control is "ready". All the other cruise control controls work in the usual way.

NOTE: This mod has been tested on a 5-speed Maxima. It has not been tested on an automatic Maxima.

Instructions for making the Nissan cruise control "always ready".

1) Open the hood. Locate Relay Box #1, the black relay box on the passenger's side of the engine compartment. Note the labels on the exterior top of the plastic relay box cover. Identify the position of the ASCD relay. ASCD = Automatic Speed control Device. That's the Nissan name for cruise control.

2) Remove the relay box cover. This can be done with fingers but a screwdriver may help to release the latches at the leading and trailing end.

3) [5-speed] Identify the ASCD relay. It is a type 1M relay in a blue plastic case.
Remove the relay. A small screwdriver will help to release the latch which holds it in place.

3) [Automatic] Identify the ASCD relay. It is a type 2M in a brown plastic case.
Remove the relay. A small screwdriver will help to release the latch which holds it in place.

4) [5-speed] Fashion a jumper wire about 1 inch long.
Crimp or solder a male spade lug at the ends of the jumper.

4) [Automatic] Fashion two jumper wires, each about 1 inch long.
Crimp or solder a male spade lug at the ends of each jumper.

5) [5-speed] Look at the terminals on the ASCD relay. There are four of them. Identify the load terminals, designated 3 and 5. These numbers are embossed in the plastic housing next to the terminals, but they are difficult to read. A magnifying lens may be helpful. You may also identify them by position. Note that three of the four terminals are parallel to each other. The terminal which is not parallel is number 5. Number 3 is the terminal most distant from number 5.

5) [Automatic] Look at the terminals on the ASCD relay. There are six of them. Identify the two pairs of load terminals, designated 3 and 5, and 6 and 7. These numbers are embossed in the plastic housing next to the terminals, but they are difficult to read. A magnifying lens may be helpful. You may also identify them by position. Hold the relay so that you are looking at the terminals with the latch at the 12 o'clock position. The two upper terminals are oriented vertically, and these are number 1 and 2. All other terminals are oriented horizontally. The pair of terminals at the left are 6 and 7; the pair on the right are 3 and 5.

6) [5-speed] Plug the jumper into the female relay sockets corresponding to relay terminals 3 and 5.

6) [Automatic] Plug the first jumper into the female relay sockets corresponding to relay terminals 3 and 5. Plug the second jumper into the female relay sockets corresponding to relay terminals 6 and 7.

7) Put the ASCD relay in a safe place. Save it for a rainy day.

8) Snap the relay box cover in place.

9) Close the hood.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:34 AM

Confirmation requested

Originally posted by SB97MAX
I remember you posting this a long time ago but I couldnt find anything with the search function. How long did it take you to do this? Is it pretty east to do? Thanks and Take Care
Thank you for the assist, MedicSonic.

This mod is easy, especially if you are familiar with basic electrical work such as soldering. I believe you could do this in 30 minutes or less. I like this kind of mod because it is easy, inexpensive, unobtrusive, and completely reversible.

These instructions have been tested on a 5-speed. I'd like to have feedback from Maxima.Org members who can confirm that the automatic version instructions are complete and correct.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:05 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Daniel,

I'll try to stick this in the Maintenance sticky sometime today.......Sorry I haven't done so before now, I've kept forgetting to do it....
Old 07-24-2001, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Daniel,

I'll try to stick this in the Maintenance sticky sometime today.......Sorry I haven't done so before now, I've kept forgetting to do it....
I'll send a slightly updated version of instructions for this mod. Please post it on the Sticky. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This mod seems like it would be a very useful...I don't know how many times I've bumbled around trying to find that switch while driving. Question though:

Why did Nissan put this switch in unless they thought it was necessary? I don't know anything about the cruise control, but it would seem like this switch is necessary to prevent some part (motor?) from burning out when the driver isn't planning on using cruise control. Or is this switch just to prevent accidental pressing of the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel??
Old 07-24-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Neptune97
... Why did Nissan put this switch in unless they thought it was necessary? ...
I can't give any reason. I regard it as a minor PIA.

Nissan makes me press that annoying little button near the ignition lock to remove the key. That's another nuisance without any obvious value.

I don't believe this mod will cause anything to burn out or wear out. I made this mod on my Stanza. It worked perfectly and was still installed in the car when I replaced it with Plain Jane, my '99 Maxima GXE. I installed the same mod on Plain Jane soon after taking delivery. It's been in use for more than two years without any problem.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:35 AM

Cool mod!

Very cool mod there Sonic, thanks for posting it! I want to try it on my auto. I'd like to see this as a regular FAQ somewhere! (You may want to split it into two mods, one for 5 spd and one for auto)

Jack
Old 07-24-2001, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Its probably a safety feature. W/o it, you'd have people bumping the buttons while driving and wrecking and sueing Nissan, we can't have THAT!

Jack
Old 07-24-2001, 08:00 AM

Satisfaction guaranteed

The Cruise Control Always Ready modification is covered by my usual guarantee.

It will work perfectly for 30 seconds or the end of the driveway, whichever comes first.

If not completely satisfied, 100% of your purchase price will be refunded.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:06 AM

Re: Cool mod!

Originally posted by JacksMax
Very cool mod there Sonic, thanks for posting it! I want to try it on my auto. I'd like to see this as a regular FAQ somewhere! (You may want to split it into two mods, one for 5 spd and one for auto)

Jack
It's now in the Maintenance Sticky post.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:19 AM

It is DBM's mod, not mine, I just found the post.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:02 AM

Nissan makes me press that annoying little button near the ignition lock to remove the key. That's another nuisance without any obvious value.

Yeah what is the point of the keylock. It seems like the most annoying thing. Especially when I first got my Max trying to figure out why I couldnt get the key out of the ignition was very odd. It was like hmm on my old Delta I was able to swap out the engine,transmissions and do lots of mods and on this I cant get the key out. hehehe Just rambling I guess.

SuDZ
Old 07-24-2001, 12:13 PM
mrdeucie

Originally posted by medicsonic
I now have all of Daniel B. Martin's answers set up as macros on my computer. This one can be accessed using the macro CRTL+L SHIFT+CC:

What a geek! J/K

Hmm this mod might be worthwile for me since I broke the box behind the cruise control on button when I was trying to install my indiglo's.

The thing about accidently hitting the cruise control was one of the reasons why I thought they had put the button there but cruise control could only be activated from 30-90 mph. I guess its just in case you're going that fast and some how you knock yourself out and hit the cruise set button.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:42 PM

hmmmmmmmmm....

You *know* what this means? After you do this mod you'll have a switch on your dash you can do stuff with! You can use it for:

* a killswitch - car wont start unless its on
* a foglight sw for that extra set
* a stereo amp
* neons, or other lights....
* etc etc etc

Jack
Old 07-24-2001, 05:08 PM

Interesting idea. Will it work though?
Old 07-24-2001, 05:49 PM

Low cost theft deterrent

Interesting idea. Will it work though?
There are several ways you could do it. Perhaps the easiest is to wire the now-unused Cruise Control switch in series with the coil of the fuel pump relay.

The fuel pump relay is mounted behind the plastic kick panel to the left of the driver's feet. It is a Type 1M relay in a blue plastic case. The coil terminals on the relay are #1 and #2.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:29 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by mrdeucie

What a geek! J/K

Hmm this mod might be worthwile for me since I broke the box behind the cruise control on button when I was trying to install my indiglo's.

The thing about accidently hitting the cruise control was one of the reasons why I thought they had put the button there but cruise control could only be activated from 30-90 mph. I guess its just in case you're going that fast and some how you knock yourself out and hit the cruise set button.
I've had my cruise set at 105 for over 100 miles ? from montreal to lake george
Old 07-25-2001, 02:11 PM
mrdeucie

Originally posted by krismax

I've had my cruise set at 105 for over 100 miles ? from montreal to lake george
Maybe it's different between the max and the altima. But i'm pretty sure on the altima it won't allow you to set it above 90, I've tried.

Old 07-25-2001, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
ok, that raises a question to me, i dont have to push a button to remove my key on my 95, is this something they changed some year?
Old 07-25-2001, 02:27 PM

The 5 speeds have the button, the autos don't.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:29 PM

My 94 slushbox has the button, my 99 slushbox doesn't....does this apply to all 4th gen automagics?
Old 07-25-2001, 02:29 PM

a simple explanation for a simple question
Old 08-06-2001, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

I don't believe this mod will cause anything to burn out or wear out. I made this mod on my Stanza. It worked perfectly and was still installed in the car when I replaced it with Plain Jane, my '99 Maxima GXE. I installed the same mod on Plain Jane soon after taking delivery. It's been in use for more than two years without any problem.
hey daniel, is there any way to disable the ignition key "release" button, I really hate that thing
Old 08-06-2001, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux
hey daniel, is there any way to disable the ignition key "release" button, I really hate that thing
None that I know of, but I haven't attempted to do this. I have become used to that foolish button and have developed a button-press and key-twist as a single semi-automatic maneuver.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:43 PM

i know, hold the button in and put glue all around it, or a big fat piece of tape, ok maybe not, does the button pop ot or anything when u put the key in? i wouldnt know