4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is there FAQ on evap cannister service anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 11:07 PM

I've been lazy. Have had the ecu error code for a while for EVAP cannister problems. Wondering how to empty out the water that I've heard about that can accumulate in the EVAP cannister to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

-V
Old 07-28-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by vmok
I've been lazy. Have had the ecu error code for a while for EVAP cannister problems. Wondering how to empty out the water that I've heard about that can accumulate in the EVAP cannister to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

-V
When posting a technical question it is good to cite the specific four-number Diagnostic Trouble Code. There is more than one Code pertaining to the EVAP canister and associated parts.

The EVAP canister is located under the car near the left rear wheel. Disconnect the hoses. Remove the canister from the car. Hold it on end to drain any accumulated water. Reinstall everything.

While you are under there check all the EVAP system hoses for pinches, splits, damage of any kind.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:00 PM

How does water accumulate in the canister?

-V
Old 07-29-2001, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
When posting a technical question it is good to cite the specific four-number Diagnostic Trouble Code. There is more than one Code pertaining to the EVAP canister and associated parts.

The EVAP canister is located under the car near the left rear wheel. Disconnect the hoses. Remove the canister from the car. Hold it on end to drain any accumulated water. Reinstall everything.

While you are under there check all the EVAP system hoses for pinches, splits, damage of any kind.
Will do. I posted the question with error codes last time and you suggested I empty out the evap cannister. However, I was unsure if there was a specific drain plug, or if you just turned it upside down from where the hoses come out of it after removing it and dumping it out that way. I'll try removing all the hoses and turning it upside down. Thanks.

-V
Old 07-29-2001, 05:20 PM

Will do. I posted the question with error codes last time and you suggested I empty out the evap cannister. However, I was unsure if there was a specific drain plug, or if you just turned it upside down from where the hoses come out of it after removing it and dumping it out that way. I'll try removing all the hoses and turning it upside down. Thanks.

-V
There is no drain plug. If there were, you could drain the canister without first removing it from the vehicle.