4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is it 4th Generation Clutch or Me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 1999 Maxima SE with (now 24,000 miles) and 5 more months of warranty left. Have taken it to dealer but they said "No Fault Found"!!

I have been getting the clutch chatter since around 19,000 miles. Question is what is clutch chatter? I have picked this term up in the Forum here but am not sure if this is really what it is. So here I go...

When releasing the clutch it starts to vibrate until I fully release the clutch. Then it is fine. If I try to use transmission for brake it also vibrates until the clutch is fully released (I never do this just tried for testing) - like when you upshift and your rpms are too low and you release the clutch slowly, you will feel the vibrations. Some one mentioned going 50 MPH in 5th gear and then trying to rapidly accelerate - no slippage at all - rapid increase in speed as the rmp climbs.

Lately some times I hear squeeking noise when I release the clutch - usually in first or reverse gears only. I have driven other cars to over 80,000 miles before changing the clutch but this one seems to be bad. I have not driven this car hard either - normal commute only.

Does anyone know of issues with Maxima's clutch? How to do I convince them that it is not me but the known issue with 4th generation Maxima? Dealers in Boston area are really not very helpful - they say point blank - if it is clutch then it is not covered - and I have to pay for diagnostics $90!!

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by 71345
I have 1999 Maxima SE with (now 24,000 miles) and 5 more months of warranty left. Have taken it to dealer but they said "No Fault Found"!!

I have been getting the clutch chatter since around 19,000 miles. Question is what is clutch chatter? I have picked this term up in the Forum here but am not sure if this is really what it is. So here I go...

When releasing the clutch it starts to vibrate until I fully release the clutch. Then it is fine. If I try to use transmission for brake it also vibrates until the clutch is fully released (I never do this just tried for testing) - like when you upshift and your rpms are too low and you release the clutch slowly, you will feel the vibrations. Some one mentioned going 50 MPH in 5th gear and then trying to rapidly accelerate - no slippage at all - rapid increase in speed as the rmp climbs.

Lately some times I hear squeeking noise when I release the clutch - usually in first or reverse gears only. I have driven other cars to over 80,000 miles before changing the clutch but this one seems to be bad. I have not driven this car hard either - normal commute only.

Does anyone know of issues with Maxima's clutch? How to do I convince them that it is not me but the known issue with 4th generation Maxima? Dealers in Boston area are really not very helpful - they say point blank - if it is clutch then it is not covered - and I have to pay for diagnostics $90!!

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Chatter is a rapid slip-grab-slip-grab phenomenon. The clutch engagement is "jerky" instead of smooth. Clutch chatter is felt more than heard. It occurs only while the clutch is engaging, and is most noticeable when starting from rest. As soon as your foot is off the clutch pedal the chatter stops.

Clutch chatter may be caused by, or aggravated by,
- oil or dirt on the friction surface (leaking rear main engine oil seal)
- glazed friction surface (excessive heat resulting from abusive driving practices)
- pressure plate diaphragm spring misaligned
- loose or broken engine mounts

You also have Maxima Clutch Groan. MCG is heard only when the clutch is engaging. It sounds somewhat like a cow mooing. A cow with a sore throat. MCG is an unlovely characteristic, but not a symptom of a defect.

My '99 GXE (27K miles, bought new, gently driven) has MCG and occasional chatter. I regard the clutch as a low point in an otherwise fine car. If this clutch ever wears out I will not replace it with Nissan factory parts.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hard to say if what you are describing is really "chatter." What I have and what others talk about is the car shaking when engaging first on occasion. I usually depress the clutch and do it again. Sometimes, if I give some juice, it'll then engage fine. I've never had it for any other gear.

As for the noise, this is probably the clutch groan you hear about. What you call a squeeking, I call a honking and another may call a groaning. Usually while engaging 1st or Reverse and goes away when fully in gear. Again, normal.

I guess you could get chatter in the higher gears but I have not noticed it. From what people have been reporting, an ACT street clutch replacement solves both.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:17 PM

I have a 99 SE 5sp and noticed the same on my car. However, I have 55,000 miles on it. I bought it used so I don't really know how the previous owner took care of it. I usually notice it when I use very little gas (under 1000rpm) but when I use more gas like (1500-2000rpm), I don't notice it. The clutch does not slip because the car will pull just fine from 80-100mph in 5th. I've been driven a car with a failing clutch and it is not it. If this is normal, then I won't worry about it.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by speedy-t
I have a 99 SE 5sp and noticed the same on my car. However, I have 55,000 miles on it. I bought it used so I don't really know how the previous owner took care of it. I usually notice it when I use very little gas (under 1000rpm) but when I use more gas like (1500-2000rpm), I don't notice it. The clutch does not slip because the car will pull just fine from 80-100mph in 5th. I've been driven a car with a failing clutch and it is not it. If this is normal, then I won't worry about it.

Yes, If I go light on gas (less than 1000 RPM) from stand still, it will happen but not if I increase RPM to 1500. Also I get it only in 1st and 2nd, but then once the car is moving it is fine. It is very prominent if I try launching in 2nd. The so called Groan is only noticed in 1st and reverse gears.

Do I have to be concerned? Is this something that I have to live with? Would this not be considered a defect?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2001, 07:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

Chatter is a rapid slip-grab-slip-grab phenomenon. The clutch engagement is "jerky" instead of smooth. Clutch chatter is felt more than heard. It occurs only while the clutch is engaging, and is most noticeable when starting from rest. As soon as your foot is off the clutch pedal the chatter stops.

Clutch chatter may be caused by, or aggravated by,
- oil or dirt on the friction surface (leaking rear main engine oil seal)
- glazed friction surface (excessive heat resulting from abusive driving practices)
- pressure plate diaphragm spring misaligned
- loose or broken engine mounts

You also have Maxima Clutch Groan. MCG is heard only when the clutch is engaging. It sounds somewhat like a cow mooing. A cow with a sore throat. MCG is an unlovely characteristic, but not a symptom of a defect.

My '99 GXE (27K miles, bought new, gently driven) has MCG and occasional chatter. I regard the clutch as a low point in an otherwise fine car. If this clutch ever wears out I will not replace it with Nissan factory parts.
Thanks for your very clear explanation... Yes this is exactly what I am experiencing as for the chatter. I would think what you call the Groan is what I have termed as squeek.

Chatter began at 19,000 miles, and was occasional in 2nd gear, now is constant in first or reverse if I keep the RPMs low (around 700-900) if I increase the RPM then I do not get the chatter.

Is there a TSB for this symptom as lot of owners are experiencing this issue?

As you have mentioned the various causes, how do I determine if it is due to oil seal leak or pressure plate issue.

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by 71345
... Is there a TSB for this symptom as lot of owners are experiencing this issue? ...
No.

... As you have mentioned the various causes, how do I determine if it is due to oil seal leak or pressure plate issue.
Remove the transaxle. Remove the clutch. Remove the flywheel. Examine the clutch disk, clutch pressure plate, and engine rear main oil seal. Lots of labor hours. Major expense.

I think your best option is to complain to the dealer, let him tell you "No Trouble Found", but be sure to get documentation that you tried to have it fixed before the warranty ran out. Save that paperwork! Then, if the clutch dies after the warranty has expired you will have some hope of getting Nissan to pay for repairs.