4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anybody Autocross-Prosolo II Your Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 12:29 PM

I'm just curious of how autocrossers are out there. I used to compete with my 93 Prelude VTEC and had lots of fun. I am thinking of getting back into it with my maxima.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:52 PM

Yo!

I autocross sometimes. I haven't been recently for a few reasons... first was my clutch was failing, and had a new one put in (took a few weeks to break in). Also just switched up my brakes and they weren't right... finally fixed them. But the biggest thing is I don't feel like beating on my car that much. I want to buy another car to do all the racing damage. Tho the Maxima does very well in the ST-S...
Old 08-02-2001, 03:13 PM

Re: Yo!

Originally posted by Slim
I autocross sometimes. I haven't been recently for a few reasons... first was my clutch was failing, and had a new one put in (took a few weeks to break in). Also just switched up my brakes and they weren't right... finally fixed them. But the biggest thing is I don't feel like beating on my car that much. I want to buy another car to do all the racing damage. Tho the Maxima does very well in the ST-S...
I used to race my prelude every weekend. When I sold it had 105K miles on it and still ran strong. I'm not one that pampers a car. If I am going to buy it because of the performance, then I'm gonna use it.

If you are smooth with your equipment on the track, it won't hurt it. Some people are just abusive to their cars on the track. They just don't understand that tire squeal is because it is losing traction.

I am gonna run it in G-Stock because there is no way in hell I am gonna keep up with those slammed, go-kart Hondas and Miatas in CSP. That ST-S, is that a street tire class?
Old 08-02-2001, 03:51 PM

Yup....

I've SoloII my Maxima a couple of times with our local SCCA region. I use to autocross alot in the past including the Midwest Divisionals and Solo II Nationals a few times. Also I won DS in a Central Division National Tour event with my old '85 Honda CRX-SI.
I ran my Maxima in STS (with the stock sucky Toyo's) since the FSTB, RSTB and Addco RSB bumped it out of GS. It really doesn't handle too bad for a large sedan with automatic trans, but it's no Miata.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:38 PM

I'm gonna get kicked out of ST-S cuz I put on 300ZX calipers. The local guys say they don't care (on the local level,ok, but any higher than that, people start to whine). Gonna put me in Street Mod, where I'll get my *** handed to me. I've pretty much only raced in the Novice (for SCCA) and have had no troubles with the people in my run group (Celica GTS's, miata's-drivers obviously don't know the potential of their cars yet, Impreza RS's, to name a few), Novice 4. The Street Mod (non novice) are at least 2-3 sec ahead of me, and they all run DOT's. Very fast, good drivers...
Old 08-02-2001, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I don't think I will be modifying my Max for a while so I'll be content to be in G-stock. I am going to get an extra set of wheels and get some autocross tires to be really competitive. I race with Texas A&M Sports Car Club. It is completely run by students and use the SCCA rules. I used to be VP when I was a student and we got to use the University's old airport. The longest course we had was a 2 minute course once and it was fast with some cars hitting top end of third (90mph). Man, that was the only time I saw true brake-fade on my prelude even Corvettes.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Talk to sinewave and (who else) SCCA Solo2. They both autocross a bunch and pretty much own the rest of us.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:34 PM

I autocrossed tha Max blower and all once in SM and did quite well. It is a good car, but not a great car. I have to agree that STS is the best class for the Max. Yes, you have to run street tires, but it is one of the few cars you can upgrade to the factory limited slip tranny since it is a Viscous. It also has one of the most powerful motors and biggest brake setups for any car in the class. Only viscous limited slips are allowed in the class, so this eliminates most of the faster potential threats since clutch and torsion types are not allowed. Coincidentally, this is why the E36 M3 is not allowed. On the other hand, since I have my fully prepped B stock Miata; I can easily say that even with all the mods on the Max, it will still never get close to the Miata in an autocross.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Loren00Miata
On the other hand, since I have my fully prepped B stock Miata; I can easily say that even with all the mods on the Max, it will still never get close to the Miata in an autocross.
Yeah, I know what a Miata can do on the course. That's why I want to be in G-Stock not CSP. I'll be up against other FWD cars that have open diffs trying to exit a corner without wheelspin. Most of the cars in G-Stock are pretty equal but the MX-6 and Probe GTs usually do pretty well because of their low end torque, which I think will make the Max pretty competitive.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:35 AM

Someone say Miata? hehe

I'm third place in CSP class, which I'm happy with since this is my first year of autocrossing. Plus, I have more engine mods that I can do this winter to squeeze out more power.

Anyway, just go out there and have fun. That's the bottom line. Who cares if you're in a class where there are other fast cars, better drivers, and better handling cars. There's almost always someone that is better than you - just go out, thrash the car around the cones, and enjoy yourself.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:46 AM

I'm third place in CSP class, which I'm happy with since this is my first year of autocrossing.

Anyway, just go out there and have fun.
Hey, that is really good. I just got my max so I don't have too many mods to keep me out of G-Stock. I was considering a RSB but that would definitely kick me out to CSP. That alone is not gonna keep me in the same ballpark of CSP. Yeah, I know that there is gonna be someone faster but winning does feel good too (I won G-Stock and CSP in my prelude 96 & 97). Having fun doing it is one thing but being dead last is another (I don't want to ever experience the latter).

Good luck to you
Old 08-03-2001, 07:48 AM

DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

I started autocrossing this year, this is by far one of the best hobbies, for the acception of rock climbing, any of you live in new england area? we should get together in the races, i live at mass and so far only autoxed with the bmw club, scca from what i hear only gives you like 3 runs in a day and you have to be there all day, with the bmw I get to run 6 times plus fun rides at the end

Konstantin

aim me at : airrfoil
e-mail: vinipux@hotmail.com
Old 08-03-2001, 08:25 AM

Re: DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

Yeah, that would be fun but I live in Texas. It does suck having only 3 runs. TAMSCC, tamscc.tamu.edu, we would have four runs but always finished by 3pm to have fun runs until everyone got too dehydrated. I used to race with the Porsche Club here. They would rent out this 2 mile speedway (with road course) for the weekend. It was like $150 for the weekend but they always needed corner workers. They would offer corner working one day and race the next. That was fun. The course began and ended on the front straight. It was really cool hitting 140mph on a banked oval and not to worry about any cops.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

Originally posted by speedy-t
Yeah, that would be fun but I live in Texas. It does suck having only 3 runs. TAMSCC, tamscc.tamu.edu, we would have four runs but always finished by 3pm to have fun runs until everyone got too dehydrated. I used to race with the Porsche Club here. They would rent out this 2 mile speedway (with road course) for the weekend. It was like $150 for the weekend but they always needed corner workers. They would offer corner working one day and race the next. That was fun. The course began and ended on the front straight. It was really cool hitting 140mph on a banked oval and not to worry about any cops.
hmmmm.... 140mph and no cops, what are you, a chicken?, that's the whole point, 140 with cops j/k
Old 08-03-2001, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

Originally posted by Vinipux

hmmmm.... 140mph and no cops, what are you, a chicken?, that's the whole point, 140 with cops j/k
Nah, not chicken. I just don't want to get thrown in jail and be someone's b@&*h!
Old 08-03-2001, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

Nah, not chicken. I just don't want to get thrown in jail and be someone's b@&*h!

ohhhh, what's a matter, you don't like when Baba makes your face look like this ???
Old 08-03-2001, 09:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DID SOMEBODY SAY AUTOX :)

Originally posted by Vinipux

ohhhh, what's a matter, you don't like when Baba makes your face look like this ???
LOL
Old 08-06-2001, 05:53 AM
Conecarver

Ah...more interest in auto-X

Go ahead and get back into it. That's the only way you'll remember how much fun you had !
Old 08-06-2001, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Ah...more interest in auto-X

Go ahead and get back into it. That's the only way you'll remember how much fun you had !
Yeah, I'm definitely go back to racing. I need to sell my some wheels from my other car though. Racing is fun but can get expensive. How did you do at the national tour? I have friends that go and always have fun.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:02 AM
Conecarver

Yeah, I'm definitely go back to racing. I need to sell my some wheels from my other car though. Racing is fun but can get expensive. How did you do at the national tour? I have friends that go and always have fun.
Unfortunately I got my ego handed to me on a platter. 13th of 16th in STS. This is my 1st year auto-x and I'm still learning and modding. Wasn't ready for concrete and was using a different tire combo than the local events. Think Subaru took 1st-3rd...
Old 08-07-2001, 06:20 AM

Unfortunately I got my ego handed to me on a platter. 13th of 16th in STS. This is my 1st year auto-x and I'm still learning and modding. Wasn't ready for concrete and was using a different tire combo than the local events. Think Subaru took 1st-3rd...
I heard the Subarus were pretty tough. What do you have on your car? I don't have much so that is why I will run G-Stock. Do you know if 4-gen Maximas ever came with any type of limited slip? If so, I'd like to get my hands on one. I drove a friend's Sentra SE-R and it makes a big difference.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:53 AM

I heard the Subarus were pretty tough. What do you have on your car? I don't have much so that is why I will run G-Stock. Do you know if 4-gen Maximas ever came with any type of limited slip? If so, I'd like to get my hands on one. I drove a friend's Sentra SE-R and it makes a big difference.
Some or all Canadian Maxs have them. I30 (not sure if regular or only I30t or if it was optional, etc.) had them.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:33 AM

I used to run, but no $$$ now. I used to run my 96 GXE Auto. Back then, that car was H-stock. It was fun running against cars like Taurus, Civic, Accord, Hyundai, Geo, etc... tires were $$$. Barry Chafin does really with in STS with a Maxima.

Now it's been bumpted to G-stock, so the PAX index multiplier isn't as good as it once was.

I ran my Miata before under B-stock. Being a 1991, it was in and out of C-stock because it would beat the C cars but not the 1994+ Miatas which had more displacement, stiffer chassis, bigger brakes, bigger sway bars, and a Torsen LSD instead of a viscous LSD (which only locked like 15% on a good day anyway).

But no more racing with that Miata either as there is a turbo on order and it rides on 17" wheels now, which would put it into one of the mod classes.

I'm saving for a spec Miata like Loren. Always nice to run on level ground where $$$ isn't the only thing needed! BTW, how much did it cost you to build the car (no including the price of the car?) Did you get the MazdaComp LSD? Obviously you got the full coil-over kit required. Did you get a Racing Beat intake?

-V
Old 08-08-2001, 05:55 AM

to all of you who race, which brakes do you use? I'm just looking now but i want to know what you guys are running

also, which brake fluid are you running?
Old 08-09-2001, 04:59 AM
Conecarver

I've got pretty much every mod allowed by STS. Focusing on suspension is much more important than the power - Max has plenty of power for auto-x already.

Only brake mods are SS lines and Porterfield R4S's on the front now. I've got the slotted rotors ordered from fastbrakes. Mostly for looks and to hold down the rusting (50K now). Should help with the grab and heat though...
Old 08-09-2001, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by vmok
Did you get the MazdaComp LSD? Obviously you got the full coil-over kit required. Did you get a Racing Beat intake?
-V
Is this directed to me or is there someone else in the thread racing a Miata?

If me, here's a list of some of the mods:
- SPAX adjustable coilover, 14 way adjustable shocks
- Cusco front subframe brace
- Cusco FSTB
- BSP rear subframe brace
- BSP adjustable sway bar
- Moss adjustable heim joint sway bar endlinks
- delrin bushings on the sway bars
- BSP short shifter kit
- BSP 4 point competition roll bar
- Simpson 5 point camlock restraint system
- Jackson Racing cold air intake
- Thermal catback exhaust
- Axxis Metal Master brake pads
- Goodridge SS brake lines
- Motul 600 brake fluid
- 15x6.5 SSR Competition wrapped with Yokohama A032R 205/50/15 race tires
- 16x7 Enkei RSE wrapped with Yok. Parada 205/45/16 for street use
- stock Miata wheels wrapped with 185/60/14 Yok A032R race tires (extra set of race tires/wheels)

non-performance items:
- Kenwood Z919 Excelen MP3/CD player
- Eclipse 6.5" coaxials
- MB Quart 3.5" speakers in the headrest (two per seat)
- BSP low profile headlights
- PIAA H3 SuperWhite bulbs in the headlights

What next? Probably some internal work upgrading the valvetrain so I can rev up to 8200 rpm and port/polish the heads and let the car breathe better at mid and high rpms.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:11 AM

Is that it?

Is that it?

Originally posted by got rice?

Is this directed to me or is there someone else in the thread racing a Miata?

If me, here's a list of some of the mods:
- SPAX adjustable coilover, 14 way adjustable shocks
- Cusco front subframe brace
- Cusco FSTB
- BSP rear subframe brace
- BSP adjustable sway bar
- Moss adjustable heim joint sway bar endlinks
- delrin bushings on the sway bars
- BSP short shifter kit
- BSP 4 point competition roll bar
- Simpson 5 point camlock restraint system
- Jackson Racing cold air intake
- Thermal catback exhaust
- Axxis Metal Master brake pads
- Goodridge SS brake lines
- Motul 600 brake fluid
- 15x6.5 SSR Competition wrapped with Yokohama A032R 205/50/15 race tires
- 16x7 Enkei RSE wrapped with Yok. Parada 205/45/16 for street use
- stock Miata wheels wrapped with 185/60/14 Yok A032R race tires (extra set of race tires/wheels)

non-performance items:
- Kenwood Z919 Excelen MP3/CD player
- Eclipse 6.5" coaxials
- MB Quart 3.5" speakers in the headrest (two per seat)
- BSP low profile headlights
- PIAA H3 SuperWhite bulbs in the headlights

What next? Probably some internal work upgrading the valvetrain so I can rev up to 8200 rpm and port/polish the heads and let the car breathe better at mid and high rpms.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:58 PM

I have a few more things but they aren't worth listing
- Razo CF pedals
- NGK blue plug wires and NGK plugs
- Hood lift kit (strut rod)
- 35% tint
- rear plastic window protector (when the top is down)
- red-stitched leather shift boot (not yet installed)
Old 08-10-2001, 05:18 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by got rice?
I have a few more things but they aren't worth listing
- Razo CF pedals
- NGK blue plug wires and NGK plugs
- Hood lift kit (strut rod)
- 35% tint
- rear plastic window protector (when the top is down)
- red-stitched leather shift boot (not yet installed)
Hey Phuong, have you ever seen that yellow and purple Miata run by the Whitney's at Dragon Racing?
Old 08-10-2001, 06:11 AM

Hey Phuong, have you ever seen that yellow and purple Miata run by the Whitney's at Dragon Racing?
Not in person, yet. I'll probably see it one of these days!
Old 08-10-2001, 08:43 AM

All Canadian spec 4th gen SE's come with a limited slip differential.

Us Canadian's always get the good stuff =)