4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fitment of dash trim; I want wood grain, have black

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 06:38 AM

Is the piece around the shifter the same shape for an automatic and a manual transmission 4th gen? I want to trade out my black pieces for wood, and I'd rather do it with factory materials than buy a Joshua Tree kit. I have a manual.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:43 AM
Licensed to Spell

Nope...

... only the GLE has factory "wood" and it is only available in auto. I quoted wood as it is far from real wood. It is cheesey, fake plastic. It killed me and thus was one of the first things I did to my car. I bought a REAL wood kit. Since you can still see behind the real wood, aftermarket kit in some spots, I first changed all my pieces to black - not cheap. So, if I were you, I'd be happy you are starting with black and just buy a real wood, aftermarket kit. Custommaxima has a good group deal right now. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:40 AM
I'm so hood

What did dealerships put on SEs at the time of original sale when the customer asked for a wood kit as an option?
Old 08-10-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: Nope...

Originally posted by ptatohed
I bought a REAL wood kit. Since you can still see behind the real wood, aftermarket kit in some spots, I first changed all my pieces to black - not cheap.
This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid -- being able to see the black pieces behind a "stick-on" aftermarket dash kit. To someone who's never seen one, it sounds super cheap and a poor alternative to the factory option. But now that you tell me the factory "wood" is even cheaper than Joshua Tree, I'm hesitant to get either. I don't want factory trim if it's garbage, but I really don't want an imperfectly fitting aftermarket wood-like sticker.

But you say Joshua Tree is real wood? Where can you see the black trim behind it? Do you have any very clear pictures of you dash?
Old 08-10-2001, 11:00 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Nope...

Originally posted by Maxwell

This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid -- being able to see the black pieces behind a "stick-on" aftermarket dash kit. To someone who's never seen one, it sounds super cheap and a poor alternative to the factory option. But now that you tell me the factory "wood" is even cheaper than Joshua Tree, I'm hesitant to get either. I don't want factory trim if it's garbage, but I really don't want an imperfectly fitting aftermarket wood-like sticker.

But you say Joshua Tree is real wood? Where can you see the black trim behind it? Do you have any very clear pictures of you dash?
Blizz, as far as I know, there was no factory wood kits for the SE. If it was an option it was most likely an aftermarket wood kit. That's how the Accord and Camry are.

Maxwell, I hear you man. You can in fact see through the stick on kit. If you are picky (as am I), it may bother you. But as picky as I am, I really don't think it looks all that bad. Yes, it is stick on but, I think it looks kind of cool on the vertical part of the center instrument console. The wood is the perfect thickness so it 'flushes' it out with the dash board. However, around the shifter and on the doors, it does stick above and look '3D'. O.k., here is where you can see past the aftermarket kit:
every so slightly around clock, nothing bad
cigarette lighter hole
barely around shift gate (I have an auto though)
window switches, inside where your fingers go.

That's pretty much it. The climate control, radio, storage, ashtray, etc. all look fine. Actually, I think if you have a manual climate control, there is a cut out for the temp dial I beleive and also, you won't have the same storage pocket as me, not sure how that is.

Sorry, I don't really have any digital pictures.

If you have ANY questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:34 AM
I'm so hood

afaik, it was an option out of the dealership. That makes me wonder, I might take a closer gander to see if I can see any overlay in the areas you described. I haven't really seen the interior of any GLEs, so I dunno how it stacks up to that...

I think my kit looks fairly nice. Better than what I've seen in Camrys and say, Grand Cherokees. Not as good-looking as Lexus kits.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:51 PM
dlomba

Re: Re: Re: Nope...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ptatohed
[B]

>>Blizz, as far as I know, there was no factory wood kits for the SE. If it was an option it was most likely an aftermarket wood kit.<<

Um – There is a factory wood option for the 1998-1999 Nissan Maxima GXE and SE. It’s a “Genuine” Nissan Accessory which covers the whole console and costs between 330 and 400 dollars. It’s in Medium Burl. And it’s an 11 piece kit for the GXE and 12 pieces for the SE with automatic air. It includes A/C vents, instrument panel, ash tray, shifter, audio, HVAC control, upper filler panel/middle dash, and storage pocket door surrounds.

Part:- Number:

A/T SE w/Auto Air- 999G3-7J001
M/T SE w/Auto Air- 999G3-7J000
A/T GXE/SE w/Man Air- 999G3-7J003
M/T GXE/SE w/Man Air- 999G3-7J002

I’m sure these parts can be purchased through Courtesy Nissan.

Dave

Old 08-20-2001, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nope...

Thank you, Dave, I'm going to do some calling around. I appreciate your help.