4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DBM: Need help locating vibration in the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 12:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Recently, I reinstalled my Prelude seats and a short shifter. The Prelude seats are much firmer than the stock cloth seats and the short shifter has fewer bushings which all leads to increased vibration. However, for the past few days, I've noticed more vibration thru the seat and gas pedal as the revs climb. The vibration is not really apparent to the wife, but I notice it's there and I sure don't remember these vibs when I had my Prelude seats in 3 months ago. I've checked all the exhaust hangers, metal to metal contact, and I've inspected the 4 motor mounts. Where else could these vibs be coming from. The increased vibration in the seems pedals is really odd. Am I missing a mount somewhere?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Recently, I reinstalled my Prelude seats and a short shifter. The Prelude seats are much firmer than the stock cloth seats and the short shifter has fewer bushings which all leads to increased vibration. However, for the past few days, I've noticed more vibration thru the seat and gas pedal as the revs climb. The vibration is not really apparent to the wife, but I notice it's there and I sure don't remember these vibs when I had my Prelude seats in 3 months ago. I've checked all the exhaust hangers, metal to metal contact, and I've inspected the 4 motor mounts. Where else could these vibs be coming from. The increased vibration in the seems pedals is really odd. Am I missing a mount somewhere?

Thanks,

Dave
Maybe your clutch?
Old 08-11-2001, 01:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

That's what I am wondering. My clutch holds fine, but maybe something is screwed up in there.

Dave
Old 08-11-2001, 04:13 AM

Thanks,

Dave
The symptom is observed as the revs climb. That tells us where the vibration is coming from. It is from the powertrain (as opposed to the road). This leads us to more questions.

These are the things to look for...
1) Is the engine vibrating more than it used to?
2) Has something changed which allows more vibration to be transmitted into the passenger cabin?

Does the engine idle smoothly? Is the vibration more prominent under hard acceleration than gentle acceleration? This line of inquiry looks for a weak cylinder or a misfire which would generate vibration.

A loose or cracked accessory mounting bracket can generate vibration which is rpm-dependent. You could remove both belts and road test the vehicle. Since the water pump is chain driven there is no danger of overheating. Without power steering, be prepared to put some muscle into the steering wheel.

The motor mounts are the principal means for isolating powertrain vibrations. You've already inspected them.

Powertrain vibrations may arise from a bent axle, a worn CV joint, and a defective right hand axle support bearing. However, these vibrations would be keyed to vehicle speed rather than engine speed.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Today I jacked up my car and got underneath it and inspected my engine mounts very closely. It appears that rear engine mount is torn right along the edge. I started the car and put my hand on the tranny case, oil pan, and block and they are all clearly vibrating at the rate I feel in the cabin. Most of the vibration I feel inside the cabin is coming from the floor, pedals, foot rest, shifter, and a little bit thru the steering wheel. When I make a left turn sweeper and give it some gas, I can feel more vibration. I can't feel much vibration on a right turn sweeper.

The car doesn't seem to be misfiring and I would assume I would get the CEL code if I did. I'm still getting good gas mileage and the car pulls strongly at all rpms when needed.

Anyone know what it costs to fix and engine mount?

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-11-2001, 06:23 PM

$20

Follow this link below and it will tell you how to fix your mount for $20. I did all 4 of mine on my 87 maxima for $40 . http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...-r/mounts.html

Today I jacked up my car and got underneath it and inspected my engine mounts very closely. It appears that rear engine mount is torn right along the edge. I started the car and put my hand on the tranny case, oil pan, and block and they are all clearly vibrating at the rate I feel in the cabin. Most of the vibration I feel inside the cabin is coming from the floor, pedals, foot rest, shifter, and a little bit thru the steering wheel. When I make a left turn sweeper and give it some gas, I can feel more vibration. I can't feel much vibration on a right turn sweeper.

The car doesn't seem to be misfiring and I would assume I would get the CEL code if I did. I'm still getting good gas mileage and the car pulls strongly at all rpms when needed.

Anyone know what it costs to fix and engine mount?

Thanks

Dave