4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mileage Increases

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am about to buy a 4th gen. max in a couple months after I make some money and find a 5 spd. I will be my first car. Anyways, I was wondering if any of the engine mods increase gas mileage? I was thinking about a y-pipe, underdrive pullies, an intake of some sort, catayltic converter(necessary?) and maybe a b-pipe(not sure though)and as for a new exhaust, probably HKS or Apex and a new muffler.

I will probably end up getting most or all of these parts but I was just wondering if the mileage would increase, decrease, or stay the same?

I'm thinking about buying a 95 because I believe that they would be the cheapest. I know about the O2 sensors and starter problems but those can't be that expensive.

I'm thankful for this site because its helped me learn a lot about maximas. Plus, you guys have some of the coolest cars I've ever seen. I know it sounds like I'm sucking up to the veterans but I'm just saying thank you for having this site. And as for Cheston, your site has been extremely helpful and I hope you can keep updating it for as long as you can.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:07 PM

let me help ya bring this thingy up to the top!
Old 08-16-2001, 03:36 PM

One last question. It's about the red/clear tailights. I did a search for David L. but came up empty. Isn't that his name? I'm looking for the 95/96 ones. I've heard stuff about nopi.com but I've been through all or at least most of the site and came up with nothing. There was a post about this within the last two days but the link the person gave didn't show up. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:46 PM

in theory they do help gas mileage to some point but I do tell you that if you do put those parts on you will be buning gas like there is no tomorrow. To sum it up you will have one heavy right foot Ohh and about the rear lights I believe that Greg for Custommaxima.com sells them
Old 08-16-2001, 05:26 PM

I pretty much was after the same thing

I bought all my parts used expect for the Y-pipe (I got it at the stillen open house for $99). I'm always on an extreme budget when it comes to mods. I have the UDP, intake, y-pipe, RT cat, Courtesy B-pipe, and the 5th gen muffler. With all of these, I just can't go back to stock. My car pulls a lot more, revs faster, and my fuel economy is better. Along with the mods, you also tend to drive a bit faster too. These past few months, I've averaged about 28 MPG with half 40% and 60% highway (in terms of miles). Also, what makes a big difference are the wheels and tires you use. The stock 16" SE's and tires weighed about 38Lbs. My 17" GS400 wheels and tires weigh about 50 Lbs. I put my stock wheels on just the fronts, I felt much faster.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:24 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i too have heard it mentioned many times...

that gas milage increases with mods. Like an intake, More air flow = better gas milage... You will notice some poor gas milage with a clogged air filter, less air flow , worse gas milage. I guess the exhaust mods help out in a way too, better air flow as well, less gas pedal usage is needed to reach normal speed.

Another reason to get a 95 besides cheap price = it's the fastest year seriously.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:35 PM

I know. The fact that the 95's are a little bit faster definetley has crossed my mind more than once. I have yet another question. I was reading some old threads and I came upon one that was talking about intakes. It said that if you have a manual you should get a JWT popcharger and if you have an auto, a CAI. Why is that?
Old 08-16-2001, 09:17 PM

My gas mileage has improved dramatically with my mods. On the highway, I routinely get 30-mpg+. My best gas mileage ever was 33-mpg on the highway in cool weather, almost 500 miles on one tank of gas! Even in town I noticed a 10-15% improvement. And I'd say my driving style is "responsibly spirited" most of the time.