4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Civic SI= 0 SC 96 Maxima= 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 09:05 PM

I was trolling around today in my Maxima when what do I see but a brand new Civic SI all decked out behind me. I heard that bumble bee exhaust as he came up besides me while he proceeded to shift down a gear and gun it (I thought he was going to blow the thing up it reved so high). He does this a couple more time to try to intimidate me and I am there thinking, "Does this idiot not hear my supercharger?". Nothing but the standard bolt ons (exhaust, intake, wheels, and lowering springs) is all this guy had and he thought that he could take me?

I was not one to back down so I heeded the poor fools taunts on the next straight away that cleared up. I got beside him and I heard that he was in the process of downshifting as the RPM's where rising higher and higher. I nail my throttle and I leave him behind me before he can finally shift into gear. I chirp second gear to assure that there will be more space left between us before I look to see how far back he is. I slow down to see if he would come up next to me but I didn't see him in the lane anymore. I see him quickly turn off to the left to avoild further embarassment from my Maxima. HA! HA! =)
Old 08-26-2000, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey, did you get the SC that was on Ebay? Thats pretty funny, Si vs. SC Maxima 5-spd. I can beat a Si with bolt-ons in my Max! Have you gone to the track yet?
Old 08-26-2000, 11:56 PM

No track time, but the weather is getting better

I have noticed that my Maxima is running a bit better and the temperatures are cooling down slowly but surely. I think that I will wait to go up to the track until I have my custom CAI built. I already have the airfilter that I want and I am now working on getting some tubing shipped to me from a fellow enthusiast. I figure that it should be the end of this week or the the next at the very latest that I will go up to Commerce.

I hope that some other local Maxima enthusiasts will show up for some track time or to just shoot the breeze.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, let us know when you are going to the track. I'll try to go.
Old 08-27-2000, 10:22 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

last nite, on the way from from BUttonwillow, i was in a tunnel with SoCalNabil infront of me, he revved his engine in the tunnel, but the SI thought it was me, so at the next light, this foo in the SI does a burnout right next to me..

mind you, i had over 100 pounds of tools/gear from the track in my trunk, not to mention i was on the cell phone with nabil when this chump decides he want to go at it. so i was like fine..
i got on his *** immediately... almost 5 inches from his rear bumper in 2nd gear and revvinup reall hard by setting on the clutch, he was trying hard and when the lane was open i stompped on it and creamed him by 5 car lengthes at LEAST. (all while in 3rd gear).. i strobed him, then slowed down so he was next to me, then i pulled off...

little did i know, SoCalNabil had saw all this from a distance, hauled *** up behind him and smoked his ***, AGAIN. hahahah.

2 killz in 2 minutes for the maximas... SIs are weak..
if only he had an SC.. oh boy. that would be fun!
Old 08-28-2000, 08:00 AM
NeO OnE 2

they suck

I've raced about 6 Si's, some with all bolt-ons to stock and they are whacked. I had about half of them turn in before I hit 60mph.

SI=0 95SE-CAI=6 ...sucka

Old 08-28-2000, 08:45 AM

Now that's somethign to be proud of...

Let's see, a 3 liter V6 beating a what? 1.8L I-4? Oooh, what an accomplishment.. Oh I forgot, you have superchargers too..

I have a 98 SE 5 Speed and I think the Max is great but the Si is quite a nice car for what it has under the hood..

For some reason a lot of the Si drivers like to race.. They think a lot of us see it as an ordinary Civic..

One Si tried to race me in my S2000 3 times in a row. Finally he rolled his window down, told me he loved my car, that he knew I'd blows his doors away, but he just wanted to see how fast it really was.

I obliged and toyed with him a bit. The Si off the line actually is quicker than the S2000 from a 'street start', but most cars are..

My Max will kick the S2000's butt up to 30 unless you rev the S2K a LOT off the line, but the S2000 is simply awesome from 30-140...

Still the Max can be modded a lot more, but I personally am not into modding much at all. I'd rather get a better car instead...
John M
Old 08-28-2000, 11:50 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

really? the s2000 can really really kick ***.

i think 4doorSkyline in his SCed 5spd was playing with one last month and the S2000 just took off with out a second thought..

hmm... well imho. don't toast ur s2000 until you feel comfortable driving a RWD rather than our heavy *** FWD maxima...
Old 08-28-2000, 12:57 PM

Is it really any wonder...

That you guys can smoke an SI? If you can beat a Prelude(in most cases you can), you can definitely beat an SI. A stock 4th gen has almost double the torque(Max-208lb-ft vs SI-116lb-ft) of the Civic. Give the poor guys a break, huh?
Old 08-28-2000, 01:05 PM

Not that I thought he would be much of a challenge

but I ignored his taunts for long enough.

"Go away son ya botha me"
Old 08-28-2000, 04:50 PM

Si's are fun to race because, at least here in OKC, they are the epitomy of rice machines. Every Si I see here has a HS aged guy in it who thinks his car is the best thing on 4-wheels. I had a guy pull up next to me in an Si, tell me that he was gonna whoop me, and then after I left his a**, he said that he wasn't trying. Yeah, thats it.
Old 08-29-2000, 11:03 AM

One more dead SI

I have a bone stock 96 SE 5 speed. I was on 202 south this weekend when I was slowly approaching a red light, in the lane to my right was a red Civic SI who was accelerating hard to the light. Light goes green and so do the two of us. I hit the top of first and chirp into second putting a car and half length lead on him. I was so in to it I didn't let up until 110 mph redline shifting all the way. When I checked my rear view mirror the gap more than tripled. First kill for me and my 4th gen Maxima. (Previously owned 92 SE 5speed)
Old 08-29-2000, 11:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: One more dead SI

So what are your opinions of the 3-gen vs 4-gen?? I would think the 4-gen has more grunt down low but fizzles out faster than the 3-gen up high? Thanks

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
I have a bone stock 96 SE 5 speed. I was on 202 south this weekend when I was slowly approaching a red light, in the lane to my right was a red Civic SI who was accelerating hard to the light. Light goes green and so do the two of us. I hit the top of first and chirp into second putting a car and half length lead on him. I was so in to it I didn't let up until 110 mph redline shifting all the way. When I checked my rear view mirror the gap more than tripled. First kill for me and my 4th gen Maxima. (Previously owned 92 SE 5speed)
Old 08-29-2000, 11:15 AM

Gotta admit the 3rd generation still holds a certain fondness in my heart. Me and that car have done some things that still amaze me. At about 3500 rpm to redline the 3rd gen. car is a real beauty especially if you have a intake and exhaust. And the independent rear gave it very sporty handling capabilities, the downside had to be some of the extra pork on the car. It could've been a little lighter. The 4th gen. car just gives you more thrust. Very quiet, I almost thought I was driving an Infiniti. 4th gen makes you feel that good. I cant say I'm a fan of the multi-whatever, link-where, beam-who suspension. To me it kinda sucks when you get a real good whack from an expansion joint at highway speeds. But Nissan definitely addressed some of the problems from 3rd gen. Now all 3rd gen needs is a Supercharger and a really good looking body kit. Not the crap available on the market.
Old 08-30-2000, 11:14 AM
NeO OnE 2

a break?

Originally posted by Black VQ
That you guys can smoke an SI? If you can beat a Prelude(in most cases you can), you can definitely beat an SI. A stock 4th gen has almost double the torque(Max-208lb-ft vs SI-116lb-ft) of the Civic. Give the poor guys a break, huh?
They are the ones who usually want to race

Old 08-30-2000, 01:23 PM

Si's have excellent high-end.... but Maximas seem to respond to basic mods better than they do, and either way we've got twice the torque of an Si so it's basically toast.

That being said, there are some pretty annoying Si owners out there who do need to be stomped once in a long while. Oddly enough, whenever I pull up to one in the 3.2TL, they all refuse to race me. Losers.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:37 AM
NeO OnE 2

Originally posted by brianw
Si's have excellent high-end.... but Maximas seem to respond to basic mods better than they do, and either way we've got twice the torque of an Si so it's basically toast.

That being said, there are some pretty annoying Si owners out there who do need to be stomped once in a long while. Oddly enough, whenever I pull up to one in the 3.2TL, they all refuse to race me. Losers.
Man I know what you mean... so many Si owners laugh at my Max at the light. But, they haven't come close to beating me even once. BTW how good is their top end becasuse they seem to stink pretty hard there too.