4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How many Supercharged Maxs are daily drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 08:52 PM

I'm wondering how many Supercharged Maximas are driven daily and for how long you've been doing this at what PSI and are there any issues (burning oil, blowing gaskets, etc.) with doing it. Thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2001, 10:43 PM
Maxima Enthusiast

Driven daily

I have a SC'd 99SE and my car has almost 52k miles on it. Out of that 52K, 48k miles have been with a SC. I've only had couple of problems with the car. The first one was my stock clutch being burned up and the second is Cattman's Y pipe cracking at the weld (his first gen.) Other than that, I haven't had any problems. Before you ask, I also have a y pipe, hiflo cat, and greddy catback, 3.33" pulley. The exhaust components were installed before my SC.

I leave smack in the middle of a snow belt (NE Ohio) so I do see some corrosion from the road salt, but that's to be expected. Soon as I have some extra $$$, I will start to replace some of the corroding parts.

Originally posted by SithMax
I'm wondering how many Supercharged Maximas are driven daily and for how long you've been doing this at what PSI and are there any issues (burning oil, blowing gaskets, etc.) with doing it. Thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:54 PM

Re: Driven daily

Originally posted by SighMax
Before you ask, I also have a y pipe, hiflo cat, and greddy catback, 3.33" pulley.
Thanks for the reply. Sort of OT but what PSI does a 3.33" pulley give and what hp gains (at the crank or wheels, doesn't matter which) Just curious for future reference. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:42 AM
Maxima Enthusiast

Not 100% sure but I am thinking around 8psi. I maybe taking a chance at going with that pulley without any other changes (larger injectors, higher fuel pressure..), but my car is running good even when I am under boost. I haven't really pushed my car that hard (cough cough) since I had the pulley changed. My installer was reluctant to do it for me because he thought I would be maxing out the injectors. I was putting out 265fwhp with the stock pulley, but I haven't dyno'd my current setup.

I've been trying to get my car dyno'd again, but the dyno place never answers their call. Hopely within next 2 weeks. I will be sure to post my results.

Can anyone suggest what size/type of injectors I would upgrade to or even if I need to upgrade? Would 300zx injectors fit on our Max? Probably will be my next upgrade down the line. I keep hearing "NOS! NOS!" from the distance.....

Thanks for the reply. Sort of OT but what PSI does a 3.33" pulley give and what hp gains (at the crank or wheels, doesn't matter which) Just curious for future reference. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:36 PM

Daily driven

I put on the SC when my Maxima had 85,000 miles on it and I have put on 20,000 miles on the car in a little over 1 1/2 years. No problems right now running the stock pulley, but I think that I might expereiment with with exhaust diameters sometime in the future to find out what size is best.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:46 PM

Re: Daily driven

Originally posted by jgadlage
I put on the SC when my Maxima had 85,000 miles on it and I have put on 20,000 miles on the car in a little over 1 1/2 years. No problems right now running the stock pulley, but I think that I might expereiment with with exhaust diameters sometime in the future to find out what size is best.
Somebody tried this and there was like .5 hp increase on a supercharged max between 2.5" and 3" full exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was warpspeed himself, using his own products.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:08 PM

superchargers

do you guys all have 5 speeds? just curious.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:39 PM

I will have my SC installed tomorrow. I will run the stock 6 pounds of boost since I have 151000 miles on my car. It is an automatic and I do have extensive exhaust work. It will be my daily driver.

K
Old 08-25-2001, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will soon get my supercharger install with the 3.33 pulley and it will be my daily driver. I will also get a VB upgrade too.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:15 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hey Kirk,

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
I will have my SC installed tomorrow. I will run the stock 6 pounds of boost since I have 151000 miles on my car. It is an automatic and I do have extensive exhaust work. It will be my daily driver.

K
Kirk...Again, how much did your dual exhaust set-up cost you total with all the work and parts done ?

Some guy told me I would have to get a whole new bumper.

You and me e-mailed back and forth a while ago 'bout this, I still have much respect for you pioneering this awesome setup.

BTW, Did you get anymore pics of it ?
Old 08-25-2001, 06:34 PM

Re: Hey Kirk,

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Kirk...Again, how much did your dual exhaust set-up cost you total with all the work and parts done ?

Some guy told me I would have to get a whole new bumper.

You and me e-mailed back and forth a while ago 'bout this, I still have much respect for you pioneering this awesome setup.

BTW, Did you get anymore pics of it ?
'alo again,

It cost me $215 for everything from the cat back(but keep in mind that I didnt pay for labor nor did I pay full price for the parts). That includes the following:
3"pipe running from the cat to a "turbo tube" that acts like a resonator. Behind the "turbo tube" its 3" pipe to a V-force camero muffler. From there I have 2.25" pipe running out the stock hole in the bumper. I also have 2.5" pipe running around the spare tire to the other side of the bumper. I did this so that each pipe will sound the same, and they do. I have 3.5" tips on each side. You do not need a new bumper. I cut the hole in the left side of my bumper my self. It is EXACTLY symetrical to the cut on the right side. That alone took me an hour to accomplish. You will also have to cut the lip on the right side of the bumper too though. By lip I am refering to the roughly 1" piece that leads inwards toward the front of the car that would be impossible to replicate on the left side. Anyway, I hope this helped, if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

Kirk
Old 08-25-2001, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

'alo again,

It cost me $215 for everything from the cat back(but keep in mind that I didnt pay for labor nor did I pay full price for the parts). That includes the following:
3"pipe running from the cat to a "turbo tube" that acts like a resonator. Behind the "turbo tube" its 3" pipe to a V-force camero muffler. From there I have 2.25" pipe running out the stock hole in the bumper. I also have 2.5" pipe running around the spare tire to the other side of the bumper. I did this so that each pipe will sound the same, and they do. I have 3.5" tips on each side. You do not need a new bumper. I cut the hole in the left side of my bumper my self. It is EXACTLY symetrical to the cut on the right side. That alone took me an hour to accomplish. You will also have to cut the lip on the right side of the bumper too though. By lip I am refering to the roughly 1" piece that leads inwards toward the front of the car that would be impossible to replicate on the left side. Anyway, I hope this helped, if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

Kirk
This time I won't forget to copy all this !

Perfectly described, just 2 more things:

How does it sound
&
How is the power ?? (Theres no low-end power loss, is their?)

Thanks again bro.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

This time I won't forget to copy all this !

Perfectly described, just 2 more things:

How does it sound
&
How is the power ?? (Theres no low-end power loss, is their?)

Thanks again bro.
It sounds like a 4.6L mustang GT at idle and almost like it under hard acceleration. It is low and NOT RICY! Unfortunatley since I went with a 3" pipe from the cat back I did loose some low end power...but I did gain some high end power. That is what I was looking for though, and I designed it that way. I wanted a faster 1/4 and when you are running it you are not in low rpms, thus my need for the upper rpm power. If you went with 2.5" pipe instead of 3" pipe you should not notice any low end power loss. In fact you should notice an increase throughout the whole power band. It all just depends on what you are looking for. Hope this was helpful.

Kirk
Old 08-25-2001, 07:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

It sounds like a 4.6L mustang GT at idle and almost like it under hard acceleration. It is low and NOT RICY! Unfortunatley since I went with a 3" pipe from the cat back I did loose some low end power...but I did gain some high end power. That is what I was looking for though, and I designed it that way. I wanted a faster 1/4 and when you are running it you are not in low rpms, thus my need for the upper rpm power. If you went with 2.5" pipe instead of 3" pipe you should not notice any low end power loss. In fact you should notice an increase throughout the whole power band. It all just depends on what you are looking for. Hope this was helpful.

Kirk
Yea. I forgot your gonna supercharge your max, so the 3" piping was a good idea. I was wondering why.

This was all helpful thanks AGAIN

And if you ever get any pics/movies/sounds of your car, send 'em my way.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

Yea. I forgot your gonna supercharge your max, so the 3" piping was a good idea. I was wondering why.

This was all helpful thanks AGAIN

And if you ever get any pics/movies/sounds of your car, send 'em my way.
I'll be back home next weekend and will try to take a couple more pics then...i also tried to take pics of my entire exhaust and if they turn out i'll send them your way. Im looking for someone with a video camera so that I can get an audio & video clip of it. What speed connection do you have?

Kirk
Old 08-25-2001, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

I'll be back home next weekend and will try to take a couple more pics then...i also tried to take pics of my entire exhaust and if they turn out i'll send them your way. Im looking for someone with a video camera so that I can get an audio & video clip of it. What speed connection do you have?

Kirk
K that sounds good.

I have a Cable Modem.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

K that sounds good.

I have a Cable Modem.
I have a shared T-3, I will send them to you over a chat service when I get them.

Kirk
Old 08-25-2001, 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

I have a shared T-3, I will send them to you over a chat service when I get them.

Kirk
Ok dude.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
[B]

'alo again,

3"pipe running from the cat to a "turbo tube" that acts like a resonator. Behind the "turbo tube" its 3" pipe to a V-force camero muffler. From there I have 2.25" pipe running out the stock hole in the bumper. I also have 2.5" pipe running around the spare tire to the other side of the bumper. I did this so that each pipe will sound the same, and they do. I have 3.5" tips on each side. You do not need a new bumper. I cut the hole in the left side of my bumper my self. It is EXACTLY symetrical to the cut on the right side. That alone took me an hour to accomplish. You will also have to cut the lip on the right side of the bumper too though. By lip I am refering to the roughly 1" piece

that leads inwards toward the front of the car that would be impossible to replicate on the left side. Anyway, I hope this helped, if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

are you getting the v2 supercharger? i assume you have a 5 spd..
Old 08-26-2001, 10:42 AM

He has the V1 Supercharger and has an automatic transmission.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sp6040
[B]
You should read my sig before making any assumptions. I have the V1 SC and an Auto tranny.

Kirk
Old 08-26-2001, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sp6040
[B]
You should read my sig before making any assumptions. I have the V1 SC and an Auto tranny.

Kirk
Old 08-26-2001, 05:00 PM

supercharger

Kirk

alright, alright theres no need to get hasty about it. i was just asking a question and i didnt feel like reading your long singnature.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SighMax
Can anyone suggest what size/type of injectors I would upgrade to or even if I need to upgrade? Would 300zx injectors fit on our Max? Probably will be my next upgrade down the line. I keep hearing "NOS! NOS!" from the distance.....
Your mechanic is wrong. The injectors are fine for now. The Fuel Managment Unit (FMU) that came with the SC kit is designed to adjust to the boost level. It will increase the fuel pressure as the boost level rises. Stillen sends the FMU out with a 6:1 (fuel:boost) ratio disc in it. For every pound of boost you get six more pounds of fuel pressure. So if you add more boost you do get more fuel pressure. However when you get to using a 3.25 or lower pulley you will need more fuel, so you may need to change the FMU ratio disc to an 8:1 level, thus getting 8 pounds of fuel pressure for every pound of boost. IMHO, the stock injectors are good to ~350-375hp at the crank but that is running ~90-100psi of fuel pressure at full boost.

Vortech's website has a great FAQ area too.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/tech/faq.html

Look here for info on fuel flow. (They do not make injectors for the Maxima)
http://www.rceng.com/
Old 08-26-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

Kirk
And you should be careful not to double post.

Kirk

Old 08-26-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: supercharger

Originally posted by sp6040
alright, alright theres no need to get hasty about it. i was just asking a question and i didnt feel like reading your long singnature.
Sorry, didnt mean to sound mean...

Kirk
Old 08-26-2001, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Kirk,

Thanks, next time my internet disconnects in the middle of a post and it doesnt show up when i refresh the page I will make sure to check back later before i post again...just kidding...

Kirk
Old 08-26-2001, 06:32 PM

Mines a daily driver!!! No trailer queen here!!!

I've got 25000 miles on with the SC!!!!
Old 08-26-2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
Mines a daily driver!!! No trailer queen here!!!

I've got 25000 miles on with the SC!!!!
In your sig you have an intercooler...where did you get it from, what does it do for performance, and how much $$$ was it? Thanks.

Kirk
Old 08-27-2001, 06:16 AM

Check my homepage for more info.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
Check my homepage for more info.
Thanks.

Kirk
Old 08-27-2001, 09:27 AM
BlkCat

Mine's a daily driver. Installed last year October. Only problem to report was a squealing drive belt during the last wet, winter months.

'98 Black SE auto with LSD
V2 Stillen Supercharger
Don's VB Mod
B&M Supercooler
Koni Sport Shocks
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Stillen Body Kit
Courtesy FSTB & Clear Corners (Rewired Clear Corners)
PIAA superwhites

To Come:
Blitz BOV
Stillen Rear Sway Bar

Old 08-27-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by BlkCat
Mine's a daily driver. Installed last year October. Only problem to report was a squealing drive belt during the last wet, winter months.

'98 Black SE auto with LSD
V2 Stillen Supercharger
Don's VB Mod
B&M Supercooler
Koni Sport Shocks
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Stillen Body Kit
Courtesy FSTB & Clear Corners (Rewired Clear Corners)
PIAA superwhites

To Come:
Blitz BOV
Stillen Rear Sway Bar
What is different about the Blitz BOV compared to the one that comes in the kit? Does it perform better or does it just look better?

Kirk
Old 08-27-2001, 10:17 AM
BlkCat

What is different about the Blitz BOV compared to the one that comes in the kit? Does it perform better or does it just look better?

Kirk
I'm getting the 2 stage Blitz BOV because the plasticy Bosch bov is fugly and doesn't give out a loud-enough PHHHSSSTTTT sound. Btw, I have'nt seen anybody post a before and after comment on adding the Blitz.
I've heard that the original Blitz would get a stuck spring and that a shot of WD-40 would fix it.

Old 08-27-2001, 04:14 PM

I'm getting the 2 stage Blitz BOV because the plasticy Bosch bov is fugly and doesn't give out a loud-enough PHHHSSSTTTT sound. Btw, I have'nt seen anybody post a before and after comment on adding the Blitz.
I've heard that the original Blitz would get a stuck spring and that a shot of WD-40 would fix it.
Right on...I will leave the stock one on for a while and then do the swap. Where are you getting your Blitz one from? How much is it? Thanks for the info.

Kirk
Old 08-27-2001, 05:18 PM

Re: Re: supercharger

Sorry, didnt mean to sound mean...

Kirk
Thats ok no hard feelings..
Old 08-27-2001, 05:49 PM

blitz bov

is the stage 2 bov just made better than the original or does it perform differently?yeah please post where you get your bov and how it performs when you have it installed..thanks
Old 08-28-2001, 02:21 PM
BlkCat

I ordered it from ...Stealin'... (yeah yeah yeah) I can't find any speed shop in in the city selling a Blitz BOV and the last time I ordered something from one speed shop they lost my order. Since I ordered the Stillen rear sway bar I tossed in the BOV order as well...problem now is that its backordered and coming from Japan.
Stay tuned...

Old 08-28-2001, 04:16 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I drive mine 60 miles a day.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I drive mine 60 miles a day.
Where did you get your indiglo guages from? I would love to have some like that when I get my SC installed.

Kirk

Quick Reply: How many Supercharged Maxs are daily drivers?