4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with speeding ticket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 10:16 AM
Banned

I was going to school today and i got pulled over and the cop gave me a speeding ticket for doing 57 in a 45. I was wondering if there was any way that i could have it reduced or something like that. I dont mind paying the ticket but i dont want any points on my license. If anybody could give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
thaks
matt.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:31 AM

This is probably off-topic, but I'm in a similar situation... 80 in a 65 zone. Got caught on the I-88 in Upstate New York new Binghamton. I don't really wanna fight it cuz I read through a lot of the websites and find that I have a pretty weak case (plus it is a 3 hr drive just to get back to the town I was caught in). The only thing I still wanna try is for the plea bargain deal thing. So if anyone knows what the procedure is for this (i.e., do I still have to go in person? do I need a lawyer? etc..), please help.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by matt calder
I was going to school today and i got pulled over and the cop gave me a speeding ticket for doing 57 in a 45. I was wondering if there was any way that i could have it reduced or something like that. I dont mind paying the ticket but i dont want any points on my license. If anybody could give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
thaks
matt.
I got a ticket in MA a while back for doing 53 in a 30, nice little speed trap, but i just paid it. I have heard however that if say the ticket is for 200 bucks, send them a check for 205 or 210, the registry has to send you back a check for the overpaid amount. They say if you tear up that check it will never be a finalized thing so itll never go to the insurance co. Some friends say it works but ive never tried it. Good luck
Brett
Old 08-27-2001, 11:07 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by Krash513

I got a ticket in MA a while back for doing 53 in a 30, nice little speed trap, but i just paid it. I have heard however that if say the ticket is for 200 bucks, send them a check for 205 or 210, the registry has to send you back a check for the overpaid amount. They say if you tear up that check it will never be a finalized thing so itll never go to the insurance co. Some friends say it works but ive never tried it. Good luck
Brett
That doesnt work...
Old 08-27-2001, 11:14 AM
I'm so hood

Yea, that "pay $5 over" thing doesn't work.

See if your state offers a driving class option for the ticket. Here in Nebraska, you can take two different classes, one once every two or three years for lesser violations, and an 8-hour class you can only take once w/o a court order.

AFA the plea bargain goes, you can go up there and try to plea with the city prosecutor yourself to get it down a notch, but chances are they'll snicker at you if you don't have a lawyer.

The best way to avoid having to deal with any of this crap is to watch the speedo. (I know personally, cause I've taken the 8-hour class twice, once ordered by a judge).
Old 08-27-2001, 12:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just like cube said.... "F the Police"

56 in a 35... court in two days...
Old 08-27-2001, 01:14 PM

Three Things You Can Do

Note: This is for state of Texas-particularly Houston

1. Take defensive driving. It usually cost about $75 and helps lower your insurance.

2. Hire a traffic lawyer. They typically charge the fee of the ticket and can get them dismissed. To do this, they usually reschedule the case several times. This usually annoys the police officer because he has to come down for the case and then it get changed and then has to come back. After a couple of trips, they pretty much don't care about the ticket and not show up. There are other methods too but it can take a while. So, if no arresting officer, no case.

3. Ask for "Defer Ajudification(sp?)". This puts you on a probation of 3 months of not getting another traffic violation and is wiped clean. It is usually cost of ticket and up to judge.

I have used no.2 many times in Houston. My lawyer has gotten me off 5 times and countless times for the rest of my family.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:15 PM
I'm so hood

The No. 2 in the post above can work, but for it to work, you have to succeed in two things: 1) the cop has to give up coming to your court date...depending on the cop, he/she could be stubborn, or not really care at all. 2) you have to have ample reason to give the judge each time to keep allowing you a continuance. This is the trickier of the two steps. Easier if you have a known attorney I suppose, but if you go in there by yourself and ask for a continuance, be prepared to explain why.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:53 PM
KCTYPHOON

u think u got problems?? <-- 75 in a 35..

Old 08-27-2001, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could say that your accelerator got stuck, works around here
Old 08-27-2001, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmm I got one of those too racing against an altima

Your best bet is one of two go to traffic school is only like 4 to 6 hours and they wont deduct the points or hire a lawyer he can surely get you off. Thats all I can tell you. I went to traffic school and the points were never deducted but I did have to pay like $65.00 thats about it. See if that state offers a traffic school. Good luck.

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\001.jpg[/img]
Old 08-28-2001, 04:06 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: hmm I got one of those too racing against an altima

Originally posted by JAY25
Your best bet is one of two go to traffic school is only like 4 to 6 hours and they wont deduct the points or hire a lawyer he can surely get you off. Thats all I can tell you. I went to traffic school and the points were never deducted but I did have to pay like $65.00 thats about it. See if that state offers a traffic school. Good luck.

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\001.jpg[/img]
i live in staten island.. theres on no such thing as hearing "not guilty" in a court room. i dont care if i walkin in there with johnny cockrin..(sp?) i aint gettin off..

Old 08-28-2001, 04:35 PM
E36 ETR

Best Advice ever...

Here's my view on this and trust me no sh#t I have had 35+ tickets and only ever got 2 points EVER! This has worked in NJ, IL, MD, AZ, and Delaware (dont know the initials) I used to go to school in MD and went home to NJ a lot now back then I owned a supped up 300zx so I got TONS of TIckets this is not some way to beat it, but this always works for me and everyone I tell to do it.

Here we go...

1.) Always go to the court date.
2.) If you cant make the date on the ticket call and reschedule it.
3.) Always go to the court date.
4.) When you got to the court date one of two things will happen. First option is the cop dosen't show in which case you go home scott free no worse for the wear. Second option is the cop shows, yo apologize and ask for " POBATION BEFOR JUDGEMENT " the DA will probably offer this befor they even call your case. You say "YES". They fine you from $30-$60 dollars for court costs... but you get no points and thats that!!

Still sucks but better then paing an insurance premium.

Hope this helps.. p.s. wear something nice that day, shave your face, wash your hair.... you get the idea!

by the way DO NOT WEAR A HAT
Old 08-28-2001, 07:45 PM

Re: Best Advice ever...

Originally posted by samiam
Here's my view on this and trust me no sh#t I have had 35+ tickets and only ever got 2 points EVER! This has worked in NJ, IL, MD, AZ, and Delaware (dont know the initials) I used to go to school in MD and went home to NJ a lot now back then I owned a supped up 300zx so I got TONS of TIckets this is not some way to beat it, but this always works for me and everyone I tell to do it.

Here we go...

1.) Always go to the court date.
2.) If you cant make the date on the ticket call and reschedule it.
3.) Always go to the court date.
4.) When you got to the court date one of two things will happen. First option is the cop dosen't show in which case you go home scott free no worse for the wear. Second option is the cop shows, yo apologize and ask for " POBATION BEFOR JUDGEMENT " the DA will probably offer this befor they even call your case. You say "YES". They fine you from $30-$60 dollars for court costs... but you get no points and thats that!!

Still sucks but better then paing an insurance premium.

Hope this helps.. p.s. wear something nice that day, shave your face, wash your hair.... you get the idea!

by the way DO NOT WEAR A HAT
What exactly does "probation before judgement" mean? Does that mean you are saying something like "give me a year, and if I don't mess up again, everything is dropped"??

Does this work in upstate NY??
Old 08-28-2001, 09:40 PM

I live in Brooklyn and the way me and my rice buddies (My honda friends) do it is by overpaying and ripping up that check they mail you.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:50 AM
E36 ETR

Re: Re: Best Advice ever...

P - B and J ( Probation befor Judgement) is just a plea for no contest in return for a small fine with no points. A continuence is what you are refering to when they put you on "probation" and if you mess up you get re-charged for the original crime.

PB&J is a blanket term used when ever a sentence is given befor a "judgement"... It saves the courts time by not involvign the judge.... It's a plea bargin.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:56 AM
E36 ETR

P - B and J ( Probation befor Judgement) is just a plea for no contest in return for a small fine with no points. A continuence is what you are refering to when they put you on "probation" and if you mess up you get re-charged for the original crime.

PB&J is a blanket term used when ever a sentence is given befor a "judgement"... It saves the courts time by not involvign the judge.... It's a plea bargin.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:03 AM
E36 ETR

Old 08-29-2001, 09:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best Advice ever...

There is another technique to getting out of a speeding ticket. You go to the town hall of the town where you got the ticket, and go to the public records section. Get a copy of every single information about the cop that gave you a ticket i.e. his license to use a gun, his license to use a radar, his certification to perform c.p.r., etc. Most likely, one of these documents will be outdated. You can have the charges dropped against you since the cop nor the town has their paperwork in order. Just trying to help.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:43 AM
derdoles

Look on the back of your ticket, you should have a couple of options on how to go about paying for your ticket, or taking it to court. Choose one. If you have more questions you can contact your local county clerks office, and they can help you (or where you pay traffic citation). If you choose to go to court, and you get caught using somekind of tactic, it could result in a bigger fine.

Old 08-29-2001, 12:41 PM

Re: Three Things You Can Do

Originally posted by speedy-t
Note: This is for state of Texas-particularly Houston

2. Hire a traffic lawyer. They typically charge the fee of the ticket and can get them dismissed. To do this, they usually reschedule the case several times. This usually annoys the police officer because he has to come down for the case and then it get changed and then has to come back. After a couple of trips, they pretty much don't care about the ticket and not show up. There are other methods too but it can take a while. So, if no arresting officer, no case.

I did this one time and I won! I didn't hire a lawyer, just represented myself and pleaded not guilty the first time. Two weeks later, I show up and the arresting officer didn't. I only paid $10 to process the paperworks instead of $190.