4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question for DBM - re: vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 05:31 PM

I've noticed that many people have had/ or are still having this problem. I guess you can add me to the group, and I am getting really frustated and aggravated!

I've taken my max to numerous places for alignment/balancing after I bought my new tires(Michelin MXv4) with se rims on my 97 gxe. In the past, my Max would pull to the right(before the alignment was done), but now, it has gotten much better.

The problem is I'm getting a vibration, not only in the steering wheel, but the under the seats. When I hit a slight bump, I feel a noticeable jiggle in the steering wheel. When I'm driving at highway speeds at ~ 65 and above the vibrations are unbearable.

I'm going to bring in to the dealer tommorrow.. to get it looked at in greater detail. Do you have any suggestions and/or ideas as to what it can be?

I don't them to charge me that diagnostic fee... and tell me they don't know what it is or give me some bs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:42 PM

It's not always the tires/rims fault. You may have worn steering components.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by kmax97
I've noticed that many people have had/ or are still having this problem. I guess you can add me to the group, and I am getting really frustated and aggravated!

I've taken my max to numerous places for alignment/balancing after I bought my new tires(Michelin MXv4) with se rims on my 97 gxe. In the past, my Max would pull to the right(before the alignment was done), but now, it has gotten much better.

The problem is I'm getting a vibration, not only in the steering wheel, but the under the seats. When I hit a slight bump, I feel a noticeable jiggle in the steering wheel. When I'm driving at highway speeds at ~ 65 and above the vibrations are unbearable.

I'm going to bring in to the dealer tommorrow.. to get it looked at in greater detail. Do you have any suggestions and/or ideas as to what it can be?

I don't them to charge me that diagnostic fee... and tell me they don't know what it is or give me some bs.

Thanks in advance.
As you say, vibration is a common complaint. Many things can cause or contribute to vibration and I doubt the same specific problem is present in every car which exhibits vibration.

Please rotate your tires, exchanging fronts with rears. This is a fault isolation technique. If the symptom vanishes or changes markedly, the problem was with the tire/wheel assembly. If it remains unchanged it is a vehicle part.

Your symptom report contains an intriguing clue. You say When I hit a slight bump, I feel a noticeable jiggle in the steering wheel. Do your tires wear unevenly? Are your rims truly Nissan factory SE rims or aftermarket look-alikes?

Please check your struts.

Please check all the rubber bushings in the front suspension ...
- control arm bushings
- stabilizer bushings
- rack mounting insulator bushings

Please check all those big bolts which fasten the steering mechanism to the vehicle unibody for tightness.

MedicSonic suggests worn steering components, and that is a good idea. Check your ball joints and tie rod ends.