4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

next performance mod????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 01:41 PM

hey, i was wondering wat performance mod i should do next, i already have an intake and i need more. I can spend about 300 on it but i would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, any suggestions???
Old 09-14-2001, 02:28 PM

Y pipe

Go for a budget echaust Y pipe. http://www.budgetexhaust.com
It will give you a noticeable 15 - 20 HP. It is like 200 bucks if your in the Us and then with 100 left over you could get a Strut Bar and Cone filter.

SuDZ
Old 09-14-2001, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by patel_anu
hey, i was wondering wat performance mod i should do next, i already have an intake and i need more. I can spend about 300 on it but i would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, any suggestions???
Or go with a $tillen Y-pipe and have little to nothing left over, it will be louder though. I'd get a cat-back system. It increases performance, not like a y-pipe does, but it also makes it sound so much more agressive. Also look into a FSTB and a RSB, they will improve your hadeling like you never thought possible.

Kirk
Old 09-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Ford Only.

Re: Y pipe

You should actually go with a www.warpspeedperformance.com Y Pipe I have heard bad things about budget pipes.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:59 PM

Re: Re: Y pipe

Originally posted by dmontzmax
You should actually go with a www.warpspeedperformance.com Y Pipe I have heard bad things about budget pipes.
I agree, check out warpspeed, I am very happy with mine....
Old 09-14-2001, 05:41 PM

I'd recommend a Front Strut Tower Brace, and a Rear Anti-Sway Bar. These will SIGNIFICANTLY improve your handling for about $300 the pair.

Next, Struts & Springs. These will significantly improve handling beyond the benefit of the first two items listed.

Then, a Y-Pipe and a Cat-Back Exhaust System will combine with your intake to make your engine more free-breathing.
You can pick-up significant horse-power to go along with your previously enhanced ability to carve corners faster *and* more safely.

More expensive would be a set of wider, lower-profile tires with new wheels. You'll be shocked at the improvement these can make to traction on start-up, cornering, and braking.

Beyond that... I'll leave it up to you. By then, you may be much more knowledgeable, and better informed to make your own call. Good luck, drive safely, and have fun.
Old 09-14-2001, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey dmontzmax

what have you heard about the budget pipes that was bad????

As for PERFORMANCE alone, that means to me speed, go y-pipe or cat-back, cat-back will give you the look of speed and some sound, but ypipe has stealth speed cuz no one sees it..

But if you wanted performance as in HANDLING, get a rear sway bar and a front strut tower brace.
Old 09-14-2001, 05:53 PM
Ford Only.

I have heard a couple of people on the general forum talk about them maybe if you do a search you might be able to find it. But I heard the weld is very shotty and one of the guys was supposed to get a SS one but it was half and half.It really is a budget y pipe.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:16 PM

ive looked for any negative posts on it and have found nothing, maybe this is confused with something else.. there are only a few max's on the board with the budget Y so I know that it would have had to have been a recent post.. I don't see any.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
ive looked for any negative posts on it and have found nothing, maybe this is confused with something else.. there are only a few max's on the board with the budget Y so I know that it would have had to have been a recent post.. I don't see any.
same here mine seems to work pretty ok. the only problem i have right now is probably an exhaust leak between the b pipe and the muffler. i'll check it out and let u guys know to see wuts goin on with it. but otherwise i can say that the budget y has no problems.