4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mods Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2000, 02:20 AM

Ok guys I kinda am putting my mods on backwards here.

I first put my exhaust on. Next, I'm putting my Y-pipe and Cat on (same time). I'll probably run Cat, Ypipe, Exhaust for about a month then get the CAI.

Will I notice any gains with the ypipe and cat without the CAI? Also, will the Ypipe/CAT change the sound as dramatically as it noramlly would? What's the deal with these ypipes hissing. I heard some people think it sounds cool? I'm getting JetHot Cattman.
Old 10-29-2000, 03:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Putting on mods backwards / FIX hissing sounds!! Safety...

Hello:

I don't think it is so critical that you are putting on your exhaust mods first... Actually, I think that might be better... your engine has to be able to exhaust efficiently to get the most benefit of dumping in more air on the intake...

Hissing sounds to me sound like loose or missing gaskets between the exhaust piping... I had a hissing sound coming from my rear section once... It was caused by a missing bolt at the rear section (guess I didn't tighten it enough) and it wasn't sealing properly... I'm not saying that all hissing sounds are due to leaks.. but it is worth investigating...

I think this can be a rather dangerous condition if you sit at idle for long periods of time... because Carbon Monoxide gasses could seep up into the passenger compartment of the car if you are having exhaust leaks....

Old 10-29-2000, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by BrianV
Ok guys I kinda am putting my mods on backwards here.

I first put my exhaust on. Next, I'm putting my Y-pipe and Cat on (same time). I'll probably run Cat, Ypipe, Exhaust for about a month then get the CAI.

Will I notice any gains with the ypipe and cat without the CAI? Also, will the Ypipe/CAT change the sound as dramatically as it noramlly would? What's the deal with these ypipes hissing. I heard some people think it sounds cool? I'm getting JetHot Cattman.
Yes, you'll notice incremental gains no matter which end you start on first. The intake, y-pipe, cat, b-pipe, and muffler upgrades work together for the best increase. The most dramtic changes in the sound level --noise-- are the exhaust sounds and the intake sound. The exhaust is deeper and perhaps slightly louder. Under WOT, you will actually hear a louder noise from the intake. Hissing y-pipes result from missing/wrong gaskets, loose/missing bolts, and some report a hissing from the flex section of the y-pipe itself. The latter can be fixed with header wrap. The former can be avoided with proper installation and periodic inspection. FYI, a lot of the folks are going with the SS y-pipe. In fact Brian is phasing out of the Jethot altogether in favor of his SS model. Goodluck.
Old 10-29-2000, 04:55 PM

Well the JetHot is only costing me $200 so I think it's worth it. Will I see nice gains with Cat, Ypipe, and Catback with stock intake?
Old 10-29-2000, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
Well the JetHot is only costing me $200 so I think it's worth it. Will I see nice gains with Cat, Ypipe, and Catback with stock intake?
Yes, maybe 10-15 HP. If you're not ready to go to a hi-flow intake, you might replace your stock filter with a K & N stock replacement filter, with its cloth element. I think mine cost about $60 from an AutoZone here in Memphis. (They special ordered it for me.) I took this intermediate step before I got my Stillen intake, and I THINK there was a noticeable difference in performance based on my butt dyno. Or was it just wishful thinking...? Anyway, the new intake made an obvious difference when I installed it. By the way, I don't have my Y-pipe yet. I'll probably go with the SS model from Cattman. But it sounds like you got a great deal on your Jethot. Goodluck with it.