4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what kind of shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 11:11 AM

what kind of shocks???

i have a 96 max and suspension is next on my list. i just want a smoother ride. no racing or anything like that. any1 recommend shocks/springs? how much do they cost 2? thanx.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: what kind of shocks???

Originally posted by peemoeller55
i have a 96 max and suspension is next on my list. i just want a smoother ride. no racing or anything like that. any1 recommend shocks/springs? how much do they cost 2? thanx.

Do you want to drop it?? Or just replace the shock/struts?? Before I dropped my 95 I installed tokicos for about 2 weeks. It was a very very smooth and comfortable ride. Then I dropped it on eibach springs. Looks are great, but I lost the luxury.

If you wanna drop it, go with H&R's to maintain some level of luxury, no matter how small it may be.

If you just want to replace the shocks/struts, go with tokicos, they are a direct replacement. Konis are prolly better, but require some minor modifications. New shocks are due out in October, and are expected to be excellent, if ya wanna wait and find out from other members.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you want to lower the car a bit to get rid of the gap, but keep a smooth ride, H&R are the springs you need. As far as struts go the KYB GR2 is just slightly stiffer then stock. I think this setup (which is what I'm installing next week) will give the best overall combination of ride comfort, performance and looks!

Old 09-21-2001, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx, i heard about the KYB's AGX. i think i'll wait and ask around. thanx again.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
If you want to lower the car a bit to get rid of the gap, but keep a smooth ride, H&R are the springs you need. As far as struts go the KYB GR2 is just slightly stiffer then stock. I think this setup (which is what I'm installing next week) will give the best overall combination of ride comfort, performance and looks!

Are you currently running on the stock suspension? Was it "bearable" running with 17x8s w/ stock suspension?
Old 09-21-2001, 09:55 AM

Lowering?

Are you lowering it? If so how much? I think your ride looks real nice so curious to see waht your planning on next.

SuDZ
Old 09-21-2001, 11:23 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: what kind of shocks???

You say you 'just want a smoother ride'. Well, if that's all you want,to answer your question as asked, then leave it stock! That will be your BEST ride. If you want to lower your car, equalize your front and rear wheel well gap and gain increased handling - but still maintain the best ride you can - that's a different question. I can't speak for all shocks/springs but I'll share my experience with you. I too wanted the best ride I could get. But I still wanted a lower look and good handling. I did a lot of homework and decided on H&Rs and Tokicos. I had Intrax with stock shocks on prior. The landling was great and I LOVED the wheel well gap (a tight two fingers) but damn did the ride eat me alive. I couldn't take it anymore. Ever since I put the H&Rs/Tokicos on, I have been the happiest man. However, the wheel well gap bothers me a lot (a loose three fingers) and I'd say the handling decreased maybe 10% as well. But the ride increased 400% and it's worth it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I should have the springs today. Hopefully I'll put them in Saturday night. I'm looking forward to the drop and ride, as it is the car rides aswome with thoses wheels and tires along with the stabalizers.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx 4 the advice. i know a lot of folks out there have H&R's with Tokicos. but i heard that KYB have new ones coming out, AGX. there's a buzz on it and i think i'll just wait til they come out and ask around when people start putting them on their max's. looking thru ur mods...do u still have ur red/clear tail lights since u put on altezzas? 96 max rite? if u do, r u willing 2 part with them?
Old 09-21-2001, 12:33 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx 4 the advice. i know a lot of folks out there have H&R's with Tokicos. but i heard that KYB have new ones coming out, AGX. there's a buzz on it and i think i'll just wait til they come out and ask around when people start putting them on their max's. looking thru ur mods...do u still have ur red/clear tail lights since u put on altezzas? 96 max rite? if u do, r u willing 2 part with them?
I'm not sure peemoeller but are you talking to me? I'll assume yes. First, good luck with your shocks and springs - let me know what you decide and how you like them. Second, about the red/clears -ehhhhhhhhh - I thought about selling them but I think I will hold to them. I'm sorry. I don't know why but I have this thing about choices/options. Actually they are still on my car as I have not yet opened up my Altezzas nor found a painter I like (I'm scrapping my old painter). Also, I am experimenting with something. I am having my inner taillights painted body color with an opening for the reverse light and I will remove the red from my outer clears. If I don't get pulled over all the time, I might try that out back and forth. Sorry man. If you do get a hold of some clear outer ones, I'd be happy to paint them for you. Just mail them to me and I'll have them back out the next day. Just let me know.

-Josh
Old 09-21-2001, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

u mean like circle openings 4 the reverse lights? yeah,messing with lights can get u pulled over. only if the cops are bored. i like keeping my options open as well. i totally understand. i'm not a big fan of the altezzas though. thanx 4 the paint job offer. how do u do it? u tape the top piece and paint it rite? 4-5 layers? where do u get the paint? i heard cherry red paint from PEP BOYS. i still have 2 get my hands on a set 1st. thanx.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:55 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

u mean like circle openings 4 the reverse lights? yeah,messing with lights can get u pulled over. only if the cops are bored. i like keeping my options open as well. i totally understand. i'm not a big fan of the altezzas though. thanx 4 the paint job offer. how do u do it? u tape the top piece and paint it rite? 4-5 layers? where do u get the paint? i heard cherry red paint from PEP BOYS. i still have 2 get my hands on a set 1st. thanx.

Not really circles. Just the exact shape the reverse quadrant takes naturally, kinda "parallelagramish"/"tapazoidish". Yeah, I am thinking the cops will nail me with all clear lights. I've always wanted them though and since they don't make clear inner lights, this is the closest I can come. Yes, I paint the outside and I use Krylon stained glass outdoor red transluceant paint.
Old 09-22-2001, 01:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

oohhhh.... yeah that'll b pretty cool. where do u get that Krylon sumthing or other paint? home depot? also, i thought u painted the inside but realized the paint mite melt from the bulbs.
Old 09-22-2001, 07:41 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

oohhhh.... yeah that'll b pretty cool. where do u get that Krylon sumthing or other paint? home depot? also, i thought u painted the inside but realized the paint mite melt from the bulbs.

**** Well, I get mine at a well-known craft store here in So. Cal. called Michael's. I'm not sure if they have them outside of San Diego. But just check your local craft store(s). It is about $5 a can and once a week they run a 40% coupon! If you do the inside, I don't think it will melt. I just don't find it necessary. Like I said, if and when you are ready, I'll paint them for you or e-mail you detailed step-by-steps. Your choice. I can send you the paint too if you can't find it where you are. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2001, 10:48 PM

Dropping the car with any spring/shock setup will deteriorate the ride considerably. I have H&R/Tokico, which is regarded as the smoothest ride of the combos, and the ride is still rather rough. Not horrible, but definitely not comfortable.
Old 09-23-2001, 12:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx 4 the offer. there's a michael's rite near my school. once i get my hands on a set, i think i'll need the step by step process. also, i meant just painting the inside of the tail lights, none on the outside. hey, have u heard anything about the stillen intake? i c that a good # of people r trying 2 sell them. i want 2 get a JWT intake and change the filter 2 K&N. is stillen going bad???
Old 09-23-2001, 04:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx 4 the offer. there's a michael's rite near my school. once i get my hands on a set, i think i'll need the step by step process. also, i meant just painting the inside of the tail lights, none on the outside. hey, have u heard anything about the stillen intake? i c that a good # of people r trying 2 sell them. i want 2 get a JWT intake and change the filter 2 K&N. is stillen going bad???
i have the eibach/tokico combination and in my opinion, it feels much like a stock SE suspension, only lower, slightly stiffer ride. in fact i think its still too soft (compared to the WRX)! maybe i just need lower profile tires. it corner's great as is; feels very planted. does anyone have any experience with koni yellow's or kyb's? people say the tokico's don't last long..so i'm thinking ahead..maybe AGXs. i'm still not sure if all those brands have applications for the maxima.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

Sorry Peemo., I can't answer for the Stillen or J.W. intake, I went with C.A.I. (have yet to install it though...). Whenever you need some painting step-by-steps, feel free to shoot me an e-mail: ptatohed@netzero.net. Have a great one.

-Josh
Old 09-26-2001, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

Originally posted by ptatohed

Sorry Peemo., I can't answer for the Stillen or J.W. intake, I went with C.A.I. (have yet to install it though...). Whenever you need some painting step-by-steps, feel free to shoot me an e-mail: ptatohed@netzero.net. Have a great one.

-Josh
thanx man. i'm still searching for them though. ur a civil engineer rite? i majored in that in high school. those transits...
anyways, how much did the CAI run u?
Old 09-26-2001, 01:03 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

thanx man. i'm still searching for them though. ur a civil engineer rite? i majored in that in high school. those transits...
anyways, how much did the CAI run u?

Yeah, I heard the outer clears are hard to find. That's odd because I know when I bought, there were plenty. But that was 1.5 years ago. Good luck. I did see them at Stillen's site but then again, paying their prices should be a last resort.
Yes, Civil Engineer. Well, working on it anyway. Still in school - since 1993!!!! But I have a pretty sweet job at an engineering firm. I like it.
Price of CAI? It was when Greg had the group deal going (the one that took 1+ months to ship!) for $219 (for the silver). I think that's shipped. He is now working on a deal where he will have them in stock. Keep an eye out.
How'd we get so far off the original topic anyway?! LOL. Have a great day.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

How'd we get so far off the original topic anyway?!

have u seen this blue maxima around with the Bomex side mirrors? those things r the hottest s**t! i don't remember when i 1st saw them but i remember my jaw dropping. and after that i was just trying to figure out how it was done until recently i saw it on a website that said it was Bomex from Japan. u know what i'm talking about?
Old 09-26-2001, 03:42 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

have u seen this blue maxima around with the Bomex side mirrors? those things r the hottest s**t! i don't remember when i 1st saw them but i remember my jaw dropping. and after that i was just trying to figure out how it was done until recently i saw it on a website that said it was Bomex from Japan. u know what i'm talking about?
Peemo., I have absolutely no idea what the heck you are talking about man. What the heck is Bomex?
Old 09-26-2001, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what kind of shocks???

Peemo., I have absolutely no idea what the heck you are talking about man. What the heck is Bomex?
on the forum, there's a thread titled "MAX FROM FAST & FURIOUS" or sumthing to that extent. there's a link to it. check it out.