4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installed eibach/tokiko combo making noise..need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 03:26 PM

installed eibach/tokiko combo making noise..need help

i finally had the chance to install them. handles great, but there's a loud banging sound coming from the right rear side audible even when i exit my own driveway. could it be the spring's not seated properly? how about the exhaust hitting the suspension? how will i know if it is seated correctly before i put the wheel back on. i don't want to make the same mistake twice. thanx.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Noise...

Did you trim the bump stop?
Old 09-20-2001, 03:35 PM

Hmmm, I installed the same setup Saturday,

...and I don't hear any noises from the rear. I hear noises form the front, but nothing that sounds serious, its just I am not used to it. I think that the rears fit much better than the front did on the struts. The front springs weren't in the exact alignment that the stock fronts were. Did you notice this too? What I mean is the coils don't begin and end at the same location as they do on the stockers.

Anyways I would make sure your center bolts are on tight enough. They can be tightened a bit further than the original tightened position. Make sure your springs are in the right positions, and most importantly not upside down. Its possible to make a mistake when you rush. Make sure you transfered all the original equipment as far as the sleeves for the bottom of the springs.

Did you use the new parts that came with the rear tokicos? There was a yellow peice of paper in the box with them that said "Important - Use Original Equipment" or something to that extent.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:36 PM

I need pics, because i am looking to buy the same combo from an org member, and want to see the after effect of the combo, can you take different angle pics?Thanks
Old 09-20-2001, 03:37 PM

Re: RE: Noise...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Did you trim the bump stop?

Ya and that too! The bump stops! I hated that part, the write up I used wasn't too clear on that part. I just went for it.
Old 09-22-2001, 05:42 AM

Re: Re: RE: Noise...

Originally posted by BRIGBOY

Ya and that too! The bump stops! I hated that part, the write up I used wasn't too clear on that part. I just went for it.
i had the fronts installed by a garage because i had difficulty removing them by myself, plus i didn't have a set of spring compressors and it needs an alignment anyway. the garage observed the yellow instructions and said they didn't have to trim anything so i had no control over that. will someone please explain these bumpstops? they seem to be fine the way they're installed. yesterday, i removed my right rear shock/spring. i rotated it 180 degrees and now the white "tokico" sign faces the back of the car. how can i tell if my springs are mounted upside down? you can only mount them one way otherwise the spring doesn't sit on the perch at all. on my car, the word eibach is upside down. but common sense wouldn't allow them to be mounted the other way so i guess its right. i pinpointed the sound to the rubber bushing sleeve that the shock sits on (could this be the "bump stop?"). it seems to have slipped lower down the shaft leaving it more exposed so i gently tapped it back up with a hammer. the sound isn't as bad now, but i want to redo it again just to push the rubber bushing sleeve back up. i got these things used. someone give me more ideas!? i just want this thing to be perfect. thanks.
Old 09-22-2001, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rudy, You said that the word Eibach is upside down. You have them installed wrong. The word Eibach MUST be right side up. It seems like the spring is bigger than the perch, but believe me it fits on there. It almost hangs over the edge of the perch a little. Trust me, it seems like it won't work, but it holds the spring fine. Once you take the spring compressor off to install it, you'll see what i'm talking about. Also, if you noticed the car sits a little lower in the back than in the front, thats because the spring is upside down. Once you install it with the word Eibach right side up, the back will raise slightly.
Let me know how you make out.
Marc