4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just some thoughts on interior painting and color conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just some thoughts on interior painting and color conversion...

This post will hopefully answer my questions as well as a lot of other peoples questions on here.
I just bought a complete black leather interior. This included everything except the center console, dashboard and the headliner. My dilemma is whether I should go out and seek those items or handle them on my own. Here is what I'm thinking:
Paint the dash black with professional vinyl dye. Do the same for center console.
For headliner, I was thinking of finding some very thin black carpet and simply glue it right on top of the factory liner. We have special carpet glue at work and once you put it on, it ain't never coming off. I have a 97 GXE and my headliner is not the fuzzy soft type, it's a rather rough carpet type. Anyone who has painted the dash, pillars or the center console (the piece with the armrest and cupholders) please post here and let me know how did you do it, what did you use, and how it turned out. Also, how hard would it be to paint the dashboard vinyl cap without actually taking it out.

I'm looking forward to any of your guys comments and suggestions.

Anton
Old 09-23-2001, 11:59 PM

I painted my dash. It was with the special interior spray dye. I would have sent it to the shop along with my door panels, etc. but I couldn't pull the dash since the car was in the body shop at the time. The dye works really well and it's really easy to work with. It coats really evenly and when it dries, you honestly can't tell that the surface didn't originally come that color. Go to www.carstyling.com that's where I got mine. Same as the Foliatec stuff. It's like $15 per can + primer and sealer. My door panels were done by an interior shop along with my back seat. The dash matches perfectly. Just make sure to mask everything off really well.

As for the headliner, if you can't do it, it's only like $100 for an interior shop to do it.

You can see pics at www.vqpower.com I'm the MOTM there. Email me if you have any more questions.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:01 AM

I actually think the spray dye worked better than what the interior shop used on my doors. The doors are less shiny than the dash is. The dash looks like natural vinyl (a little shiny, but not too much) while the doors look duller.