4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 05:19 AM
kar_nut

I was interested in purchasing a 4th gen Maxima SE, and after test driving a couple I definitely like the car. But, can anything be done to tighten up the steering? It seems to be very over-assisted with little feedback or feel. I've read that a front strut tower tie bar improves turn in response, but I was wondering if anything else can be done. Has anyone tried to re-adjust the boost pressure on the steering rack? Stillen has a set of adjustable radius arms for the Q45. Will these fit the Maxima? If so, has anyone tried dialing in more caster for better steering feedback? Any help would be appreciated. I’m at a point in my life where I now need a family 4-door, but I’m not willing to give up the fun to drive factor. I never realized how few 4-doors could even be had with a standard

Old 10-30-2000, 06:01 AM

How fast were you going? The steering is speed sensitive, it's overboosted at low speeds for easy parking lot moves, but once you get up to speed it tightens up. I find mind works really well, plenty of feel on race days and easy to get into the parking spot.
Old 10-30-2000, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Steering feel.

When I 1st got my 98 SE I felt the same way. The steering felt way too soft. But now that I'm used to it, it's quite progressive. Give yourself some time to adjust to it and you'll really enjoty it afterwards!!

DW

Originally posted by kar_nut
I was interested in purchasing a 4th gen Maxima SE, and after test driving a couple I definitely like the car. But, can anything be done to tighten up the steering? It seems to be very over-assisted with little feedback or feel. I've read that a front strut tower tie bar improves turn in response, but I was wondering if anything else can be done. Has anyone tried to re-adjust the boost pressure on the steering rack? Stillen has a set of adjustable radius arms for the Q45. Will these fit the Maxima? If so, has anyone tried dialing in more caster for better steering feedback? Any help would be appreciated. I’m at a point in my life where I now need a family 4-door, but I’m not willing to give up the fun to drive factor. I never realized how few 4-doors could even be had with a standard
Old 10-30-2000, 12:23 PM

I like the steering

I agree with you guys It feels better than most other cars
Old 10-31-2000, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by kar_nut
I agree with you. Nissan did not give the Max enough road feel. But you will get used to it.
Old 10-31-2000, 07:59 PM
RuMax96

I love my steering! My mom has a 96 I30 and if you turn on the air the car does u-turns the steering is so loose.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:26 AM

FSTB will help for high speed, quick manuvering
Old 11-01-2000, 07:05 AM

power steering

I think the 4th generation' steering is quite good--it is progressive and it does tighten up at higher speeds. I actually find the 5th generation max and 2K and beyond altimas to have very tight steering--where you need to arm wrestle with the thing--especially when you are trying to parallel park into some small NYC spot and it is such a pain in the as$ and ARMS!@!!

Old 11-01-2000, 04:34 PM

Re:

I agree 100% with dwapenyi. The first time I drove it I was like whoa what's going on here because you almost think it's broken because there is so very little feedback, but you know it's working because the car turns. You really do get to like it a lot because it makes driving so much easier , you only need one hand to turn the wheel when making left and right turns so you can still adjust the radio ( or slap your kids ) and complete the turn with no problem. If your having doubts about the car, take some corners at 40mph, that's what won me over about the car and especailly the steering. You can turn in and out of your turns when whippping around corners without having to fight the wheel.

-nate
96 se