4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Interior vinyl paint... where to get it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 01:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Interior vinyl paint... where to get it?

My dashboard is really messed up. I had a couple of rips in it, on the right side of the stereo. I bought a special kit to repair tears in dashboards, patched it up well but it's a ***** to match the colors up. So it came out pretty bad. I need to find some dash vinyl paint, I searched the net but can't find anything relevant, Ebay was no use either..... Anyone know where I can get some?

thanks
Old 09-29-2001, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What exactly do you mean...

Are you looking for a race-style dash (radical red, white, yellow colors)? Something crazy like that or just a shade of your dashboard to match. I'm afraid that if you're looking for a current dash match you will have to re-dye the whole piece or maybe just replace it. But if you are looking for a dash spray-paint kit (the crazt color ones), maybe try Nopi.com. Just trying to help.
Old 09-29-2001, 02:20 PM

Re: What exactly do you mean...

Originally posted by Vyrus
Are you looking for a race-style dash (radical red, white, yellow colors)? Something crazy like that or just a shade of your dashboard to match. I'm afraid that if you're looking for a current dash match you will have to re-dye the whole piece or maybe just replace it. But if you are looking for a dash spray-paint kit (the crazt color ones), maybe try Nopi.com. Just trying to help.

thanks....
I'm looking for a shade, or a close match which is brown/tan.... But if I have to, I'll repaint the dash, since it's ruined already, I'll just replace the piece if it comes out bad.
Old 09-29-2001, 02:29 PM

No problem.

Don't forget you can always try the local junkyards, although interior upholstery doesn't normally fair to well in the open weather...
You might be able to get black, which would contrast and no be too tacky. But were I you I would first try to get a matching paint.
-Cyrus
Old 09-29-2001, 03:12 PM

Re: No problem.

Originally posted by Vyrus
Don't forget you can always try the local junkyards, although interior upholstery doesn't normally fair to well in the open weather...
You might be able to get black, which would contrast and no be too tacky. But were I you I would first try to get a matching paint.
-Cyrus

I checked junkyards for misc. 4th gen parts and they don't have anything! I've been at 3-4 local places so far. I was thinking of the black dash, but it might look stupid, i might as well do door panels and the whole interior while I'm at it, since I hate tan anyways.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:24 PM

What you are looking for is called SEM color coat. I just used it to repaint my nasty brown dash to black. It came out great. I will have pictures very soon. Call around and see who sells it, so you can go overthere, bring a fuse box panel so you can match the color.

www.semproducts.com

Anton
Old 09-29-2001, 09:39 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I was just checking out the site. Sweetsound2001..Have you tried the Sure-Coat? I guess you need a spray gun to apply it. Color coat spray can seems the easiest to apply. Is that the one you used? I'm thinking about painting some of my dash pieces to red and maybe part of the door panel.

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
What you are looking for is called SEM color coat. I just used it to repaint my nasty brown dash to black. It came out great. I will have pictures very soon. Call around and see who sells it, so you can go overthere, bring a fuse box panel so you can match the color.

www.semproducts.com

Anton
Old 09-29-2001, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I was just checking out the site. Sweetsound2001..Have you tried the Sure-Coat? I guess you need a spray gun to apply it. Color coat spray can seems the easiest to apply. Is that the one you used? I'm thinking about painting some of my dash pieces to red and maybe part of the door panel.

Yes I used color coat. Note: the semi-soft dash vinyl, door panels and armrest are much more scratch resistant then the hard plastic such as glove box and center console. I used color coat. I paid $8.70 per can. That is hookup price since I work at a stereo shop. I'm not sure of retail but probably $11-12. Also, I used the blue SEM soap to clean the dash and console before applying paint. I cleaned the dash 3 times before spraying it. I ran out of paint before I could finish so now I have to take my seats out and remask everything again on monday

Anton
Old 09-29-2001, 11:41 PM

wow

Sweetsound... thanks man!
If it's durable enough to last a while and not chip or scratch easily. Also I hope it doesn't fade after a while. That is very cool though, I'm going to look for this.. For now I'll paint the dash piece, just to the right of the stereo. Because I really screwed it up matching colors, although I patched up the holes very nicely...
Old 09-30-2001, 12:06 AM

Re: wow

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Sweetsound... thanks man!
If it's durable enough to last a while and not chip or scratch easily.
I don't know, I just sprayed it today.
I hope it does not.

Anton
Old 09-30-2001, 09:42 AM

Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

I don't know, I just sprayed it today.
I hope it does not.

Anton
cool

Do you have any pics of the dash yet? I'd really like to see how good it came out..
Old 09-30-2001, 10:58 AM

Anton:

That's what I used to paint the kickpanels you sold me.

Black Vinyl spray "dye"....you can find it at any upholstery shop.

I put those kickpanels down a long time ago, and people acidentally kick them all the time, and no major scratches. This stuff works great on vinyl. Not sure about hard plastic, however.

IanS