4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

California Spec Emissions or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 04:42 PM

California Spec Emissions or Not??

I'm just wondering how you can tell if your Maxima is a California-Spec emissions car or just a Federal-Spec emissions car. I just purchased a Cattman Y-pipe under the assumption that my car is NOT a California-Spec emissions car...I own a 1997 SE. Anybody have an idea at all??
Old 10-02-2001, 04:45 PM

Re: California Spec Emissions or Not??

Originally posted by BlackMaxAaron
I'm just wondering how you can tell if your Maxima is a California-Spec emissions car or just a Federal-Spec emissions car. I just purchased a Cattman Y-pipe under the assumption that my car is NOT a California-Spec emissions car...I own a 1997 SE. Anybody have an idea at all??
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the
passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification
Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first
five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California
Old 10-02-2001, 07:00 PM

Re: Re: California Spec Emissions or Not??

Thank you very much for the post...I'm going to go check right now. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:39 PM

or you can check the sensors just in front of your engine. if you have two your not cali, if you have 4 you are. do a search if u still need help
Old 10-03-2001, 01:40 PM

Does anyone know if budget Exhaust makes a Y pipe for the cali spec? I am gonna check after to see if I am but just in case I am curious. I have not been able to get a responce from them.

SuDZ
Old 10-30-2001, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Acording to the model ID code my car is a california emissions, but there are only two sensors on the front of the engine

Here's a pic of the sensors from Cattmans site http://www.cattman.com/images/produc...ec-diagram.jpg

On the underside of my hood ther is a 'Emission Control Information' sticker that says (among other things)

' This vehicle conforms to all US EPA and State of California requirements ...Blah Blah Blah... Provided it is only introduced into commerce in the state of California '

So I suspect I have a California Max, but I don't know why it has only two sensors. Did the California Maxes have any less power? Acording to carfax this car was origonaly sold in New Hampshire, so I don't know why it would be california spec.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:41 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

As far as Y-pipe/exhaust is concern, you only have to worry about it when you have a 1999 model.

Originally posted by Anachronism
Acording to the model ID code my car is a california emissions, but there are only two sensors on the front of the engine

Here's a pic of the sensors from Cattmans site http://www.cattman.com/images/produc...ec-diagram.jpg

On the underside of my hood ther is a 'Emission Control Information' sticker that says (among other things)

' This vehicle conforms to all US EPA and State of California requirements ...Blah Blah Blah... Provided it is only introduced into commerce in the state of California '

So I suspect I have a California Max, but I don't know why it has only two sensors. Did the California Maxes have any less power? Acording to carfax this car was origonaly sold in New Hampshire, so I don't know why it would be california spec.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:58 AM

I have a 98 GLE
I have no idea what the heck you guys are talkinga bout
and I don't see any SENSORS getting connected to the engine.
Help
Old 10-30-2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
As far as Y-pipe/exhaust is concern, you only have to worry about it when you have a 1999 model.

That's good, I will probably be getting a Y pipe at some point so I am glad I don't have to worry about it. But I am still curious whether my car is California or not and what the difference is besides extra sensors.

Sexima did you check the link http://www.cattman.com/images/produc...ec-diagram.jpg it is a pic of where the sensors are.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:42 PM

If you still aren't sure whether or not your car is Cali spec or not, read the second post in this thread and find out yourself. As for the differences, can't help you out there.

Originally posted by Anachronism

That's good, I will probably be getting a Y pipe at some point so I am glad I don't have to worry about it. But I am still curious whether my car is California or not and what the difference is besides extra sensors.

Sexima did you check the link http://www.cattman.com/images/produc...ec-diagram.jpg it is a pic of where the sensors are.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by clee130
If you still aren't sure whether or not your car is Cali spec or not, read the second post in this thread and find out yourself.

I don't know if you saw my first post, but according to the model # I am California and if I go by the number of sensors I am not. I trust Daniel B.'s method, but Cattman says to look at the sensors and I assume he also knows what he is talking about. Either way I guess it is not a big deal.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:16 PM

All i can see was this
Old 10-30-2001, 02:34 PM

So it doesnt matter until you get to the 1999 models? That rocks.Now I can probably order one from Budget or warpspeed. I thought that they were different... nice.

SuDZ